Saturday, June 25, 2011
"I'm gonna go see Dr. Finklestein and I'm gonna tell him we have a whole new bag of issues. We can forget about mom for a while."
I feel I should preface this with the warning that no one has ever been mean to me, very few people have ever said anything that could be taken as judgmental or negative. This is entirely my own mental issue. Of which there are plenty more.
I am That Mother. The one that doesn’t allow anything to interfere with naptime. I try to explain, but it all feels like excuses. I feel judged and looked down on. It isn’t only naptime; “She still eats baby food?!!” YES. Because she won’t eat real fruits and veggies, and I don’t want her to get ass cancer!! Also there’s that strong tendency to get constipated and then shit in the bathtub. Do you know how much cleaning is involved with bathtub shits?! Happens all the time. She’s a self imposed vegetarian and won’t eat any form of protein except yogurt, no eggs, no beans, nothing. It took 3 grown ass people to convince her to try 2 bites of uncrustables today and she refused to eat anymore. Each meal is a battle people, and I’m doing my best. Ugh. I’m going to have to talk to the doctor about this aren’t I? But I digress. Naptimes.
My reasons that sound like excuses to my own ears when I tell them to people;
First and foremost, I feel that everyone should know I went 10 months without sleeping for longer then 2 hours at a time. Yes, there were a very few times when her dad or Angel MiL took her. But I exclusively breast fed, and she had problems eating, and would eat mostly when she was half asleep. At night. By the time she started sleeping through the night, I was….off my fucking rocker to put it mildly. I love sleep. When she doesn’t get her nap, she wakes up at night. Numerous times. Loudly. Not every time, but often enough I can make the correlation. I don’t like that. It feels like this is my fault for some reason. Like I should have taught her how to sleep through the night already regardless of what kind of nap she had. I don’t know how, but apparently everyone else does.
Second, we live 4 very curvy miles from the nearest no store having town. And 20 curvy miles from the nearest store having town. Sometimes when J is driving I want to fall asleep, I can’t very well blame her for wanting to as well. When driving close to nap time she falls asleep in the car. She then wakes up as soon as the car stops. Stop lights, signs, our arrival home, whatever. Once she has woken up, she feels that nap time is over! “Wtf mate? I slept already; I’m not doing that shit again!” And therefore misses nap. Please see reason 1 for what happens next. Perhaps if we lived in the city with all the stop lights and such, this wouldn’t be an issue. But of course, we live in BFE.
Third, she’s almost 2. She has her beasty moments when she’s gotten the right amount of sleep. But when she hasn’t? Oh lawd look out. I can relate, and do not blame her one bit.
Fourth, she sleeps in her crib with white noise and black out curtains. This means I can’t just put her down on your bed in your bright sunny room and leave her be. If she ever fell asleep, which she wouldn’t because hello?! New place! Things to see and mess with and eat and hide from you forever and ever! She would roll off the damn bed to begin with. As for the rest of it, one more person tells me ‘I trained so and so baby to sleep through anything’ I will lose my shit. We tried that and SHE WOKE UP. I don’t know how many times it takes to ‘train’ but I am obviously a quitter, and instead have given her tools to help her sleep as opposed to waiting for her to figure out how to snooze through the apocalypse. Also, I have black out curtains and white noise too. So eff off.
Example of recent experience; we drove 3 hours, arriving at our destination at 12 pm. 30 minutes after lunch time and directly when nap time should begin. Hells to the no she didn’t sleep in the car! We left an hour after she got up that morning! We fed her lunch as quickly as we could, watched some of what we there to see, but mostly chased her wild ass all around the parking lot b/c she was not going to sit quietly in the building. Again, I see all you people thinking my child should behave. I can feel it. Perhaps we should utilize timeouts more aggressively? I don’t know. We leave 1st destination to arrive at 2nd about 10 miles away. Of course she fell asleep, and of course she woke up when we got there. At 3 pm I said to my friend we were going to have to leave very soon, it was well after naptime. My friend said; “Why?! She’ll sleep when she’s tired.” Really? She will? I look over at my exhausted baby as she whines and throws a toy at another child, and I doubt this to be true. But again I feel like this is my wrong doing, that I should have the skills to teach my child to sleep when she’s tired, regardless of where we are and what we’re doing. Did I miss this class? Is there a handbook being passed that skipped me?
So, I don’t leave the house until 3 pm, after she has woken up from her nap. Unless there is someone with me to aggressively keep her awake until we get home and can put her down to sleep. I don’t know how you other miracle mamas do it any other way…so perhaps you could share your magic? Clue me in, or at least tell me it’s not so bad being this anal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

For the food, seriously, just try acting like nobody gives a flying fuck if she eats or not for like a week. She is a very smart girl and eating and sleeping are some of the only things she can control, so . . . She's not going to starve or become so nutritionally deficient as to stunt her growth in a week.
ReplyDeleteAs for nap time, Ian is a crazy ass non-sleeper, I can totally relate. The ten minute naps are the worst! He has only slept other places when he was literally so exhausted he couldn't keep his eyes open any longer. The person who said, "Oh, he'll fall asleep eventually" gives up long before he does, and then I'm stuck dealing with it. Fuck that. It's no fun whatsoever and messing with nap time really screws up shit for days. Do what you have to do to be home around nap time and everyone else can kiss your ass. :)
Who thinks anyone under 2 should behave? No one. If a toddler is not behaving in public, leave. No biggie. I think you're imagining that anyone thinks she should behave, and if they are thinking that, either they don't have kids or they've forgotten what it's like to have kids.
ReplyDeleteI take Grace (14 mos.) some places but she doesn't usually last more than an hour. I don't miss naps. She takes naps at home or not at all. I don't know who these people are who are telling you it should be any different. For a few precious years, her nap time will drive your schedule. It's not a big deal and it's not anal. It's called me a good mother and caring for your child's needs.
My child is napping right now as I type this. I need to go to the grocery store and run a whole bunch of other errands. They may or may not happen. Probably not.
Mandy's right when she says you're doing what's best for *your* daughter. Kids have different sleep temperaments- mine (3 years old) is a "napper" and could sleep through the apocalypse if it was an afternoon affair, but not a "sleeper", meaning he's never had more than 8-10 hour nights. My friends kids all need 16 hours of sleep per day while mine runs fine on 12. I stressed over this for the first two years of his life, but now? Meh. He functions beautifully and we almost never ever miss a nap.
ReplyDeleteBravo for meeting your daughter's needs. :)
This is such a relief. As I said, I'm sure it's all in my head, but even my insanities need soothing. Thank you for the support!!
ReplyDeleteI once had a brother tell me, "You're fucking nuts about that child's naps. Nobody else is as uptight as you are." I tried to take it as a compliment. My 4 year old has NEVER missed a nap. He sleeps like a freaking champ. I am the winner because I get 2 hours of peace a day--but it's only because I was nuts and uptight about it (as my brother said). But. . .baby #2? All bets are off with that one. I'll be happy when I can give up the struggle of trying to make her sleep.
ReplyDeleteBTW, when did feeding your kids fruits and veg become a bad thing? Dude, adults invented V8 because they hate crunching veggies. You pureeing up some shit for a 2 year old just makes you ahead of the curve. I say put a straw in it and keep on keeping on. :-)
xoxo
You are not alone at all. My daughters also have sound machines and black out curtains and can not sleep anywhere JUST LIKE ME unless they have these with them. My youngest will sleep more than my oldest but really away from home isn't much of an option and without a nap watch out. And yes my daughter at age 6 still naps because she can't function without one. She also is an EXTREMELY picky eater she has a list of 10 foods she will eat. I want to harm her at times. But it's life as a mother. The boys are easier to a point. But I often thought oh it's because they are boys and then I remember no it's because they aren't biologically mine *sigh* But your kids are who they are and you have to do what you have to do to keep you and them happy.
ReplyDelete