Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Take the French out of your mouth and tell me what to do."

His voice is tentative, wary. I don’t blame him as all things baby have the potential to make me cry. “Have you thought about taking those prenatal pills? You know, the vitamins? Maybe that would help.” I look at him to see if he’s joking. He’s not. I laugh. “I’ve been taking prenatal pills daily, since October of 2008. In fact, just the other day I was wondering if I was going to be on them for the rest of my life.” “Oh.” I was pretty sure I was getting PTSD from my doctor’s office. The amount of times I’ve sat in my car and cried after an appointment would probably take both hands and a foot. Then there are the times I cried IN the office. Not to mention my daughter’s pediatrician’s office is in the same building, so you have to take into account the appointments I brought my rashy non eating baby in while hopped up on post partum/breastfeeding hormones with a side of sleep deprivation and cried there too. I’m a crier. Obviously. Steel Magnolias? Hell yes. Blogs? Books? All the time. Sesame Street songs that tell the kids that everyone is different, but that’s just fine, we all deserve to be loved and respected just the same? Sob. Fest. But I try my best not to do it in public, in front of large amounts of people. These past 6 months just haven’t lent themselves to that rule. I had my post miscarriage appointment yesterday and I was nervous. My stomach was all stressed out. I was positive I was going to receive the ‘no sex for 2 to 3 months without condoms’ lecture. Which I would have stubbornly ignored. I am a 32 year old married woman trying like hell to conceive a baby. There’s no fucking way I was going to cry my way through the most embarrassing isle in Wal.mart to buy condoms. Blow me. Then I expected to hear the equivalent to ‘them’s the breaks when you’re trying to make a baby sista, it happens to the best of us’ with a pat on my head and then be sent on my merry way. Not looking forward to it. I go in and she tells me; “It’s been a tough year so far hasn’t it? Usually we don’t start doing interventions until after a third miscarriage, but really, you don’t need to go through this again if we can prevent it.” I almost jumped across the office to make out with her. There’s nothing I like more than Plans. Shit to do at certain times. Written down no less. She sent me out with orders to take a month off of trying, a list of vitamins to take, blood work to do, cervical mucus to inspect, (YAY.) and a prescription to fill should I get a positive test. Instructions. From someone who deals with this daily, educated in how to knock me up. But more than any of that, I left that office with HOPE. I wasn’t sure I had any left. But it’s there. Sitting quietly. Helping me not lose my shit when I go get the vacuum out of what should be a finished nursery. Saving me tomorrow, fingers crossed, on the due date of the son I lost. That I will give my daughter a sibling. A baby to grow in my belly and make me feel like shit for 9 months, that I get to take home. To love forever. Someone to look across the table at G in 10 years to roll their eyes at how lame their mom and dad are. Someone who will have the same environment as G, but will experience it differently, so they’ll be able to add different perspective when things are tough. Her friend for life. I hope. I had lost it, 2011 has been tough on me. On us. While at the same time being so beautiful watching my daughter learn and grow. I’d just like to experience it without the dark shadow of sadness. So. I will take this month off of trying to conceive. I’m excited about that really, nothing like realizing that you don’t have to have sex to make you want it. I’ll have a few drinks here and there. I’ll get my ass on the treadmill as much as I can. And, maybe I’ll greet my next period (you totally thought I wasn’t going to mention it right? Maybe I’ll just have to find a way to fit it in to each post from here on out.) with a sense of purpose; my body is healed, and ready to support new life. Instead of balling for 3 days. I’ll be all vitamined up, I’ll know what to do when. And if it doesn’t work, I’ll try again. Or go back and ask for help, because she’s on my side, and she might have more ideas. It’s nice to have people in your corner. Especially ones that went through 5 billion years of schooling, and have been working in the exact field you’ve having troubles with for 25 years. High five for that.

13 comments:

  1. I have that appt. in 6 days. I really don't want to hear *wait* as an option. Really. With one stillbirth and one miscarriage and no living children, I'd like a little hope here, too.

    I'll probably be toasting margaritas this month, too. So, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie, I am so glad you have hope. I wish I was there to toast a margarita with you. And give you a big hug. This is a pain I understand. But I am so glad you were given hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B.Wilson, I'm attempting to think of this month as preparing. I'm going to try all I can to make my future baby's home a comfy as possible. It is of course not what I want to be doing, but obviously, I don't really have a say. I'm so sorry for your losses, and I hope your appt is better then you expect as well.
    Kristin, thank you for being there, even if it's just on the internet, it means alot to me. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Amelia, I am a crier too. Steel Magnolias?? Holy sobfest!

    I so get this post.
    I want O to have a sibling so bad.

    Having two miscarriages under my belt, ans a difficult pregnancy with him, I am always afraid there will not be another.

    We can't even try right now because my husband lost his job, and at 30 with health issues, I feel like time is ticking away...

    All that to say: I understand. In my own way. I'm here and sending you lots of hope and love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! It's interesting, that internal clock, I think mine is like Big Ben. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK BONG BONG BONG. Let's get this show on the road! :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your words and loving the hope that's immersed within them. I know I may not have the chance to give Leo a sibling, but I know the desire to want a child....the pain, the anguish and the god damn joy. Crossing my fingers and toes for you and your travelling show! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a need that bonds us. Thank you for your appendage crossing!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am kind of a loss for words, as someone who cannot relate at all and yet I feel so incredibly touched by your dedication!

    I love how you are looking at this month as a big preparation for you body as to what is going to come. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just blog hopping. I'm 46 & truly have never wanted a baby, but I wish you all the luck & happiness in the world. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see so much of myself in this--yes PLANS. Please. Anything that makes me feel proactive and in control (even if it's an illusion!). I am on month three of TTC (NOT blogging about it though) and last month I did an OPK for the first time. Never got a fucking smiley face. I've read all about false negatives, missing the surge, blah blah blah. But I have an appointment this month to have my serum progesterone tested because I want to know FOR SURE whether or not I ovulated and if I didn't, I want to know what the HELL we're going to do about it. I felt such a sense of peace as soon as I scheduled the appointment. I just need to feel like I am doing everything I can. I hope your rest period (ew what a gross pun) goes well and you're on your way to a baby you get to bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahahaha! I love the rest period!
    I think that being in control is hitting the nail on the head. Procreation is damn near completely out of my control, and I needed to get some of it back. I did the OPK last month as well, and it did say I surged, but it was a weird experience, I can't explain it. My doctor has a 'fresh egg' theory, where she says it's better to have the sperm already there and waiting when the egg is released, so that kinda cuts out the need for the kit I guess? I don't know. What it boils down to is get busy, all the time, while keeping an eye on my mucus. *hork* :) My husband approves of this plan. It's not he has to do anything different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. High five to that. Plans are good, great, awesome things and having a doctor that you trust on your side is priceless. xo. Here's to a month off and an April due date.

    ReplyDelete