Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Sometimes when I see the word hospice on the screen I pronounce it ho-spice in my head."


We moved into our house this month 3 years ago.  We had a fridge, a stove, 1 working bathroom and the walls and carpet.  We got our kitchen cabinets and sink julyish, and before I that I washed all our dishes in the one bathroom.

People did not come over for dinner.  

Our house is still very much a work in progress, and sometimes I look around and think FUCK, will we ever get anything done?!  Forgetting that we have accomplished quite a bit.  Yes we have wall to wall office carpeting and I have to vacuum my kitchen, but someday I'll have gorgeous cork flooring, a granite counter top and an island.  And maybe carpet that doesn't wear holes into my feet, that shit hurts yo.  Built in shelves will be a plenty and I'll have a master closet to die for.  But until then I need to appreciate what we have done.  (It's so cute how I write "we".  Like I've contributed at all.) Besides a kitchen sink, and cabinets (and dishwasher, *swoon*) I have a sink and toilet in the master bath, the damn shower continues to elude me though.  When he has the time we don't have the money, when we have the money he doesn't have the time.  Such as it is.  We have shelving on the back wall and over the closet rod in my closet, And we now have the laundry area almost completed.  J wants doors over the washer and dryer, but I'm pretty indifferent about that.  

When they were building the house we had 2 points of contention.  (Oh wait, 3, but with one I was unknowingly thrown under the bus for so I had no clue it was an issue until AFTER it was fantastically completed.  Then they told me and I was like why didn't you just do it the easier way?  And J said because THIS is what YOU wanted and I was like hell to the fucking o?!  THIS is what WE agreed on and I don't have ONE FUCKING CLUE how this shit works so if it was hard you  HAVE TO TELL ME so I can choose differently.  Ass.  Turns out it was totally worth it though, it was the design of the tile in the front bathroom which everyone loves so, rub some dirt on it, you did good.) Anyway, the issues I was aware of were the lack of a door at the top of our stairs, and the laundry room.  I gave up on the door, because they were correct in their reasoning on why they couldn't do it, and made it so it wasn't such a loss.  But the laundry room...  They told me over and over it couldn't be done, they couldn't work it into the floor plan, that because there's no load baring walls it would make too much movement, cracking grout between tiles and I don't know, bringing the house down.  I smiled and said figure it out.  I was NOT going to haul all my laundry down into the garage with I assumed a baby and a toddler roaming about and a plethora of laundry overcoming the place.  I had one apartment with a washer and dryer in the hallway, and it was a magical part of my life.  Of laundry completed in a timely manner, and with ease.  This is my forever home and I wouldn't settle for anything less.  Figure.  It.  Out.  And after many rounds they did.  No grout is cracked, the house is still standing, and I adore it.  I just listen for the washer to stop, and I mosey on back and change things over without much interruption at all.  When we moved in we had a tiny stacking washer and dryer, our first or second Christmas here we bought very nice side by sides on a credit card with no interest for X amount of time.  It made things very tight, but I'm really happy with them.  Our Christmas present from my MiL was the pedestals, also very awesome.  




Before we had these little cubes storage things with childproof locks on them to store our laundry stuff, deadly chemicals and not much else.  A few months ago we went to Ikea and bought cupboards to go on the wall and above the washer and dryer.  


G at Ikea.  She dug all the kid sized stuff.  And her uncle bought her a stuffed rabbit she named Ice Cream.  Odd child.  

The ones on the wall are abnormally tall because HELLO?  Yes I will take more storage!!  What the hell do I care it's taller than usual?!  I need space to jam stuff!!  Then J was going to put a counter top on them that his dad got from a storage unit he'd cleaned out for his brother.  We fell in love with this granite, and it will most likely be our kitchen counter tops too, right now we have some laminate thing the rolled out on wood.  Whatevs.  

So J installed the cabinets like the week after we bought them, but hadn't done the doors and it had been a month or so.  I wasn't too upset because I was just so happy to have a place to put shit it didn't matter that they were covered.  Apparently it bothered him though.  

We came home from being gone a week and J asks me to check how much time is on the washer.  I'm like, double you tee eff mate, our washer doesn't have a timer.  It just stops when it's good and ready.  Duh.  A few minutes later, as I'm trying to unpack and organize piles and blah blah he tries to get me to go back there again for something else, and I'm like I'm busy yo!  But he finally convinces me and I go back there to find this.  



Isn't it gorgeous?!  I love it.  

My sweet husband.  He did such a beautiful job.  We left him home so he could acclimate to his new shift without worrying about falling asleep on us and he's busy making shit gorgeous for me, and spent not a few days at my mom's house dealing with her dead and leaking all to hell water heater.  So much for relaxing.  

I love how it looks, but here's the problem; now I'm all itching for my kitchen and shower, I can just imagine how beautiful they will be!  ARGH!

And as promised, my roof:  I just realized the way I worded it in my last post it sounds like my roof is magically floating, it's not.  I'm pretty sure.  What I meant was there is no internal load baring walls.  We could have one huge open room if we so wished.  Same with the garage below us, it could all just be open I believe.  I assume the outer walls are load baring.  And then there's these special beams they bought that does the rest.  





Look at that nonsense and picture my husband and his dad with zero sense of self preservation swinging around building that shit and you'll see why I was GONE when they were doing that part.  Stressed me out.  Pretty amazing that this was built by 2 guys from the dirt up all by themselves huh?  Garage doors aren't in the budget yet.  I want my shower first.  That first one is a handmade prototype.  *shrug*  It does the job.

*My quote is from Shelia on Shameless who is played brilliantly by Joa.n Cu.sak.  You should watch this show.  


15 comments:

  1. Oh, I watch that show. I have an unholy love for Lip. Thank stuffs the guy is legal irl or I'd be worried about my moral center.
    That granite and tile are dope. And the house is damn impressive. Kudos to J and his dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I, it's so weird with his skinny jeans all rolled up for summer. I'm all I LOVE YOU LIP!!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think your house is gorgeous! And I sort of love that your husband built it and it's all your design. I think it has fab curb appeal.

    I so totally understand the laundry requirements. Main level laundry for me is DIRE. Also, the countertops and cabinets? Just lovely and so functional.

    Thanks for sharing. I am so excited to finally have visual on this house you talk about frequently. Also, who needs garage doors when you live in the CA desert? Come to the Midwest. You MUST have doors here. The weather is atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It snows once a year here, we're good without doors for now. Technically our "street" is a half mile down our driveway, so no one sees our curb appeal, but thanks! They've been working hard on the yard, (I have not.) I'll have to post a picture when they're done!

      Delete
  3. Aww, J is so sweet to you. Probably is ultra grateful you put up with him otherwise. ;)

    Our laundry is half on the porch, half in the garage, both dirty and nasty. Not that you'd expect anything less.

    I finally bought Season 2 again. $20 at Target this week. I don't know if my longing for a hot prick like Steve will work out well for me this week. I may have to wait to watch it. Also, I can theoretically make DVDs of season 3 and send them to you. Don't hold your breath though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO sad I was leaving for his birthday, I'm in tears and I'm like You gave me the best birthday month EVER and I'm like peace out for your birthdaaaay! And he goes, But I'm a jerk for the rest of the year so it evens out. Hahahaha!!

      You clean your clothes in a nasty washer and dryer?

      Season 2 was Out Of Control. For reals yo.

      Delete
    2. Ha!

      I clean the dog hair out of the insides of the washer and dryer, but the outsides are gross, and my garage and porch are dirty too. If I drop something going into/out of the dryer, it gets washed again.

      Delete
  4. That is one nice looking home. Wow. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You house is going to be incredible when it's finished.

    When I finish law school or my medical residency or whatever it is I end up doing and I wind up somewhere, my plan is to stick it out just long enough to see if the job and the area are tolerable and something I can live with. Then I'm going to find the lowest-priced house (ideally something that used ot be grand and maybe was a foreclosure or something like that, or just a smaller, simpler house surrounded by bigger, more elaborate homes) I can possibly afford in a relatively high-priced area. I'll take my time and renovate or expand one area at a time until I finally have the house I want. Then I'm staying there. my parents have moved six times since I was born )five of them that I was old enough to remember) and i hted it every time except the last one, when I was happy to leave the city even though I loved the house. I know my number of moves is nothing compared to what military brats endure or what the children of apartment hoppers have to face. Still, I know enough to know I HATE moving. And baby grands, of which I'm fortunate enough to own, are pricey to move.

    My dad says I'm such a cheapskate that I'll end up buying in a slum area, and I'll have to have steel doors with triple locks and bars over all the windows, which will mak the place a fire trap, and all the drug-dealing neighbors will assume i'm wealthy because they see the baby grand piano when it's being moved in even though my combined checking and savings accounts have less in them than any single resident in the neighborhood has buried in undisclosed locations in their backyards , and they'll constantly be plotting to break into the place to steal my prescription pad. He's wrong. I understand enough about real estate to know that location is key in home ownership. If you're not moving onto rurual territory, a decent neighborhood is imprtant. I don't have (or want) to be Hugh
    Hefner's neighbor, but decent surroundings make your life easier, and homes more expensve than your own raise your property values. I'll be the neighbor everyone else in the hood drides because I'm dragging their property values down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! Finishing or improving something in our house is very very satisfying, but my cheapness stands in our way as well. It's in direct conflict with J's GO BIG OR GO HOME style. Which has done us well so far, obviously, our house is awesome, but when he shows me the remote control he wants for our SHOWER my mind is boggled. A faucet handle. That's all I need. Lawd.

      It sounds like you have a fantastic plan, I've know you have a good head on your shoulders.

      Delete
    2. *always known you have a good head on your shoulders.

      Delete
  6. I would have kept it that way JUST SO people would not come over for dinner.

    There are men with too much of a sense of self-preservation. You'd be living in a shack with those types if they actually had to DO anything to provide you with a different abode. Let father/son prove their adeptness(but make sure they have life insurance & health insurance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! It was very interesting mix of family time, I did the dishes while G and J were in the bath tub.

      Very very good point.

      Delete