Maybe 2 days before our wedding.
Look at this strange girl. I don't even recognize her. Wouldn't know her if I passed her on the street.
A few months before I got married I went to the 'gine doctor to make sure all was well. Of course the upcoming nuptials were discussed.
"You want my advice? Wait a few years before having kids! Enjoy marriage just the 2 you!"
I made noises in agreement, knowing full well we would not be waiting one minute after getting married before trying to conceive. I was 29 years old, it was time to get the show on the road yo.
I had forgotten, or didn't really comprehend, how much hormones affect me.
Some things just stick with you; start date of last period? November 18, 2008. A hundred doctors appointments this was my answer. So, taking into account the 2 week time frame where you are not actually pregnant though it counts as pregnancy, we had 3 weeks of normal us. For our entire marriage. Then I was knocked up, breastfeeding until 16 months, and then the losses. (Not to mention I quit smoking, which is an entirely different tangent, but one that applies here because I'm fairly certain I jacked some neural pathways that will never be repaired by inhaling nicotine every hour or so. I still miss smoking.)
I don't regret not waiting, not even a little bit. Holy shit if the universe ever came together and Did Something Right it was when we made her.
But I wonder sometimes. What we'd be like if we'd had that time under our belts. Maybe not much different. We lived together for a year, had been dating 2 and a half years total. I just wish my poor husband could have experienced me as a wife before I went off the deep end, never to return.
I am so changed. I'll never be that girl. I don't even look like her anymore. I look at our wedding pictures and I marvel. If she met me now she'd never believe it. I'm thinner now actually. My muscles are coming along nicely (or at a snail's pace depending on the day, where the hell is that six pack I've been trying for?!), I'm much more active, I eat healthier than ever before. But it's the face. I look at the before pictures and it takes my breath away. I wonder if people who haven't seen me in awhile are as shocked as I am. Does my forehead contain the neon sign GRIEF that I think it does?
It's funny, when people ask how long we've been together I say, oh only 5 years married, 7.5 total. It seems like such a drop in the bucket. In my mind we're still beginning, still newlyweds.
Which is a significant difference than my mindset with my ex. When people asked how long we'd been together I'd be like holy SHIT X amount of years!! And they'd say wow that's a long time, and I was all I know, I thought we would have broken up a long time ago. Crazy.
Five years ago, on a ship in the middle of the ocean we said I do. We've had fairly rough waters. (Fucking punning and shit.) But we've gotten through them. The first loss, when I thought I would float away into the atmosphere on the cloud of my sadness, I'd wake up with a death grip on his arm. Keeping me tied to the earth with his physical presence. His arms around me as I cried. Telling me to go to kickboxing more often, when really, we couldn't afford the gas. He is so obnoxious sometimes, (all the time) but damn do I love him. I'm so grateful he agreed when I informed him we should get married. I'm in awe of the home he literally built with his own hands for us. I appreciate his hard work, and that he hangs up his towel every day. I don't have words to express how it feels knowing he's beside me 100% in all decisions we've made, and we've had to make heartbreaking choices during our fledgling marriage. But we made them together.
Here's hoping I continue to fight the urge to junk punch you. I love you my sweet. Happy anniversary.
*My quote is from the tweet section of Dooce's Things I Found While Looking Around post. Hilarious.



Cheers to obnoxious, supportive husbands who hang up their towels! Glad your have one another for the happy and the shit storms of life.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am too.
DeleteHappy anniversary! So much water under the bridge in such a short time. I'm so glad that you are still in love with your maddening hubby, and looking forward to many more happy years together!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteHappy anniversary 😊
ReplyDeleteThat shot of the two of you on the boat is beautiful.
I love what you said about hanging up his towel. That shit is Very Important!
It IS important!! You have to appreciate the little shit!!
DeleteThose 2 question marks should be a smilie face. Sorry. Fail.
ReplyDeleteHaha!!
DeleteOh, and not to leave 3 comments on your post, but I feel the same way about looking at old (happier?) times in my life. The markings of grief and sadness are so evident to me. I used yo get my hair done regularly and wear a smidgen of lip gloss and mascara. Made a world of difference it seems because that girl per 2011 pregnancy is soooo foreign to me. And I miss the hell out of her
ReplyDeleteTotally.
DeleteWhen you informed him you should get married. Haha. I love that.
ReplyDeleteI wish my husband had more time before I turned into this, too.
Happy Anniversary. I love that picture on the boat. You're gorgeous.
Thank you. :))
DeleteHappy Anniversary. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteHappy days and happy anniversary. May G keep your fighting spirit going!
ReplyDeleteI love reading about your obnoxious and wonderful husband. That is a lot of water, as Catwoman said. I hope you guys have wonderful waters ahead of you. Happy anniversary! (Late)
ReplyDeleteYou guys are beautiful together. In many different ways.
ReplyDeleteIt is pretty amazing how funny time is. IC and I have been married for 2 years, and been together for 4...And yet, I feel like we just got married and we've never not been married. It's all so strange.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. I can only imagine what it would be like to say about anyone what you've written.
ReplyDelete