Thursday, June 21, 2012

"You know, there'd be a lot less violence in the world if everyone just got a little more cardio."

When I run I start with a pre programed 30 minute work out that has me walking running and going up hills at various intervals. I call this my warm up. I'm old and broken and it takes me that long to get to a place where running isn't hindered by limping. It sucks I know, but what can I do? During that time I listen to my iPod, generally on a band as opposed to a playlist because I have yet to own a computer I can hook my iPod up to so I have no playlists. I have no idea what computer it's synced too, and nothing has been added in quite awhile. I'm poor, and unfortunately, paying for music takes a back seat when there's still free radio.

When I first started the actual Running part was pretty short. So I'd put a song on repeat that had a good rhythm and made me feel all runner like. When I got to running long enough that I heard the song 4 times in a row, I thought maybe it was time to rethink this, and now I just have a band on repeat while I run. I'd actually LOVE to hear what songs motivate you as this is all still pretty new to me.

For the past month or so I've been exercise videoing it instead of running for the sake of time. I can not seem to get G in bed at what I feel is a resonable hour. I'm deciding, as I write this, my husband is to blame as he's waiting until I'm done exercising to start bath and that is what is throwing us off. Usually bath was started towards the beginning and we did fine. Hmmm. Anyway, in an effort conserve time I've been skipping the hour long "run"/stretch out sesh for a pilates video or being Shredded by the very nice to look at Jillian. Both of which my lovely friend loaned to me and hopefully doesn't want back anytime soon. Last night I decided I'd been too lazy as of late and needed to get back on the treadmill.

Turns out, videos do not translate to running. I almost died you guys. So in an effort to get my motivation back and start running again I have for you The 2 Songs I Listen to On Repeat While Running.



First up, Pump It by Blacke Eyed Peas. I love this group. They have me feeling all ranges of emotions, Anxiety? Awesome, it's how I feel way too often in song form. Where is the Love? Brings tears to my eyes. Then they also have all the songs that make me want to get up and DANCE. I wish had some of their more recent stuff, but I don't, so here's what keeps me running most times.





Second on our list is BYOB by System of a Down. SOAD has been one of my favorite bands for a billion years. For a long time, when I cared about, paid attention to, and bought music, they were my Favorite Band. I love their sound, I love their message. For some reason this song translated to running for me, so I listened to it on repeat for quite awhile.






I think this was recorded off someone's tv, but it still looks all right I guess so whatever.


So tell me, what makes you want to run? In a good way, not from the cops or something.

Side note, I can not find spell check on my gmail, where I now compose these, or on blogger when I copy and paste. So please accept my heartfelt apologies for any spelling and grammatical errors.

12 comments:

  1. A good song can make or break a run. When I was training for my marathon I had a 56 song playlist because some of my training runs were 18 miles long! The middle 45 minutes was the best and I'd get so pumped listening to the songs on there. I highly recommend Doves, anything fast of theirs is amazing but the best are Words and Walk in Fire. I can burn you a DVD of my favorite running songs if you want. ;) God I haven't run in AGES! Writing this makes me jones for a good jog so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly credit exercis for getting me through this last 18 months. Especially running, it had saved me.
      My training runs do not last anywhere close to 18 miles ever so I bow to you.
      I would LOVE a copy of your running songs!!!

      Delete
    2. So many typos!!! I'm better than this!!

      Delete
  2. Girl. Friend. You need a new computer. If I had the $, I'd totally buy you one.

    But I don't.

    But I do have music. I'd dropbox it to you, but if you're composing blog posts in gmail, you don't have dropbox. I can make you a CD. Would that work??? Not really, huh? If it does work, let me know. I love giving people music. LOVE.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would ABSOLUTELY work as I'm pretty sure I could make a sad face at my FiL until he figures out how to get it on my iPad! It would be AWESOME!!!

      Delete
    2. If you have an iPad, you should be able to synch your iPod to it and make playlists. I can figure out how and tell you the steps if you'd like.

      Delete
    3. That's supposed to say iPOD I do not own an iPad. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. All I can say is Pandora is not a good option, getting a sucky song when you're trying not to quit is rotten. I never make playlists either, and I have a Mac, so no excuses. *shrug* Cake is good, DMX, 50 Cent and Rage all work. Some Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Eminem works too, but those kinda require a playlist. My trainer swore by Social Distortion, and Violent Femmes were OK. It's hard to find a band that doesn't have at least a few shitty running songs. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that, and it's harder to skip a song when you're running and trying not to die, adding one more thing is awkward.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, Spotify Mobile just switched to free. If you can use something with WiFi, that might work. I was always too lazy to try it on the computer so I can't vouch for it personally, but I've seen people rave about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....our wifi is an angery elf usually.

      Delete
  5. This makes me nostalgic for the days, as in about five days ago, when I could run. In the fall I'll run again. My dad won't let me wear headphones unless I run on a track or on the treadmill. I have to just imagine the songs.

    ReplyDelete