G, J and I went on bay-cation to the snow this weekend. It was about what I expected; cold, wet, miserable. I really hate the snow you guys. I went for my kid, and no other reason, I have NO idea how some of you LIVE where it snows all the time. I just can't wrap my head around it. It snows here about once a year, for a few hours. As with any storm I'm on high alert because THE ELECTRICITY NEEDS TO STAY ON. It snowed pretty good up here 2 weeks ago, we made a snowman and everything, I really wanted to call it good, but we'd already made the reservations so I didn't bitch.
I have never gone to a place specifically for snow before. We bought G a snow suit because it came with a coat and it was a good deal. When I was taking the tags off I noticed the interesting way the bottom of the pants were made. My husband was like haven't you ever seen a snow suit before? No. I have not. I have never skied, snowboarded, ice skated, snow shoed, nothing. The last time I went to the snow it was to see my BFF for new years and the snow could suck it. I got a ride from her cousins, because I do not EVER DRIVE IN THE SNOW NO MATTER WHAT. They met me at like 6 in the morning or some nonsense because they wanted to snowboard for the day. My BFF worked at a....snow place, I don't fucking know, not a resort, but like a specific mountain people go to with lifts and shit. They wanted to spend as much time there as possible so we stopped there first, it was like 9 am. They went out on the mountain, I found my BFF, who led me to the bar. Where I was served a beverage by a large tattooed african american gentleman wearing a kilt. And it was awesome. I read gossip mags she provided, (it was before I had a decent phone) and drank until her cousins came in and said blah blah blah something wrong with the snow it's not fun. I don't know really. Then they took me to her house and I slept for like 3 hours because hello?! I'd gotten up at like 4:30 am to meet them and had already started drinking. It was a really good weekend. But I avoided the snow at all costs. Because it's awful.
So we go to the snow. I buy snow boots from K.mart, because this is NOT going to be a regular event, I just didn't think my vans would hold up so well. J used to snowboard, so he has some stuff already. We buy G some snowboots, and she looks fucking adorable in all her gear. I made her a hat. It's really cute actually, and I'm looking for a slightly different pattern, but am planning to make more. Including one for me. We get all dressed up and as soon as we get out there I'm like; this fucking sucks. I tried really hard to be positive. Of course I didn't bitch in front of the kid, I totally faked it, but wow, it took effort. We hiked all around in the snow, (read: sank a bunch, it was super hard to get around in that shit!) had snow ball fights, made a snow family. My nose was running and I was standing in snow up to my knees so it was less than a good time. We found a playground where the snow had melted enough she could play on it and did that for awhile. And we finally went in for nap. After nap we went to a couple stores and to dinner, which took forever, so when that was done we came home and watched cable. Ahhh cable. Then bath and bed.
The next morning we absolutely planned to go sledding. We BOUGHT a sled for Scott's sake, but when we woke up it was snowing pretty bad. So our plan was to drive to a park at the edge of the snow line and go sledding there on our way home. That way we could make it past the scary stuck out of town because the roads become too bad when J has to work the next day part but still have some fun. Didn't happen. I feel AWFUL. But we went from white out, me in the passenger seat having an anxiety attack, to pouring ass rain. No in between. But we have a sled. So apparently we'll be doing something with that. My vote is J drive her up to a park for the day. Because lawd. Just the thought of doing that again makes me want to weep. The only thing that saved me was Hous.e Hu.nters Hawaii. *DROOLS*
p.s. We are officially screwed when traveling with my kid from here on out. She is Too Big for her pack n play for reals. What the hell do people do with toddler/younger children?! Get 2 queens?! That seems lame. I can't sleep with her in the bed. It has never once worked for me, so that's not an option. I get the couch and J sleeps with her? She gets the couch?! I don't know how this is going to work. Are there.....cots maybe? Shitballs.
*My quote is from a movie called Here Comes the Boom. It has Kevin James and Selma Hyaek, (I love her) it was very funny, super cute, I recommend it.

She gets the couch. I hate snow too. That's what men are for. Yes, saying that may make me a jerk, but I don't care. I always had friends to do that kinda playing in gross/inclement shit with my daughter when I was single.
ReplyDeleteG is sooooo adorable.
Recognize that scarf?
DeleteAnd I agree, I am not cut out for camping or snow stuff. I don't make him go to the ballet. Accept it and move on.
Ha! I didn't before, but now I do.
DeleteHahahaha!!
DeleteOkay, she's CUTE. Super cute.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a choice but to live in snow. I'm staring at it as we speak. I want it to go away.
Thanks. :))
DeleteI would die. Sincerely. My anxiety would take over and I'd be in a medically induced coma.
Oh she's cute. Ive never skied or snowboarded either. First time I ever walked in snow as it was falling was when I was in college.
ReplyDeleteOh, and it was NINETY degrees here today. God Bless Texas or something like that. Though this summer will suck balls.
I am SOOOO jealous!!!
DeleteOnce my brother and I reached the age that it was n longer appropriate for the two of us to sleep in the same bed, my parents always ordered a roll-away bed. We never had trouble getting one if we requested it in advance.
ReplyDeleteVERY good to know!!
DeleteWhat an adorable girl!
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing at how you talk about snow because YOU'VE TAPPED INTO MY HEAD.
And I live in Colorado. Thank heavens spring is just around the corner.
See above; Colorado, Alaska, wherever, that's where I'm going when I die if I don't repent.
DeleteDude, that kid slays me.
ReplyDeleteMy kid will (and does) sleep pretty much anywhere; he'll sometimes "make" a "sleeping bag" by pulling his comforter off his bed and sleeping on his (carpeted) floor (but we have also found him asleep on the laminate floor of our hallway half in and half out of a large cardboard box, so, you know, he's flexible). Which is to say, if you can introduce G to the idea, perhaps just a folded blanket on the floor + one over top of her (= "sleeping bag," or of course you can pack a real one)? No one ever fell off the floor.
ReplyDeletePersonally I'm a huge fan of being to sleep anywhere and if I can raise a kid who does that, will feel that I've done a good job as a mom, so, you know, others' values may vary ...
That is an EXCELLENT idea. I guess because I'm old and wounded and I REQUIRE cushioning and Benadryl to sleep I assumed its that difficult for everyone. It'd be sweet if my kid could sleep wherever whenever.
DeleteMy kid refuses to sleep in a bed and sleeps on the floor with a camping mat. Those are pretty packable. I also just saw a cot just for toddlers at Sam's club yesterday. I didn't notice the price because mine is too big for it. I would definitely recommend getting a tacky princess (if she's into that) sleeping bag and letting her get used to it at home. Have a camp out in the living room :)
ReplyDeleteYou don't know what you're missing, cross country skiing is so awesome! We drove 7 hours two years ago just to see snow again, I miss it so much. I also miss bug free climates.
She of course adores all things disgustingly princess, and that is a fantastic idea. I think, but don't quote me, I think I'd take bugs over snow.
Deleteaero bed (blow up) toddler size. camp out style with sleeping bag. have one will travel. bought on amazon with pump. super easy. our kid LOVES hers. now she's begging for a sleepover...
ReplyDeleteGoogling NOW! Thank you!!
DeleteTesting my new picture.
ReplyDeleteAgain
ReplyDeleteDANG.
ReplyDeleteWork.
ReplyDeletePlease?
ReplyDelete