Tuesday, August 9, 2011
"Really? Your deeply religious born-again Christian mother wants a test-tube grandbaby born out of wedlock?"
All right, I was going to completely ignore the book and move on to the hypothetical questions, but I’m still annoyed and I’m going to rant.
I get that I’m oversensitive and bitchy. For example; the movie Life as We Know It. There’s a married couple, the wife has a best friend, and the husband has a best friend, and the best friends, wait for it, hate each other! Ahh so funny. Then the couple has a kid, goes on date night, gets into a car wreck and DIES. The best friends now have to take custody of the 1 year old, and hijinks, growth, and eventually love, fill the screen for 90 minutes. I hated this fucking movie. I cried from the time the couple died until the end. It’s a romantic comedy, and I wasn't romantically comedied one bit. No matter what amusing thing the child or best friends were doing all I could think was this baby’s PARENTS ARE DEAD. She will never remember a time when her parents were alive. I was crushed, and to this day I do not understand why it was ever made. J hated it too, I’m not positive if it was because it’s a romantic comedy, the premise, or because it made me cry for a long period of time, but he maintains it’s the premise one so I give him extra smooches for knowing the right answer. Also, to this day, my stomach gets a little nervous whenever J and I go somewhere without G. My point? This movie did well. Well known actors played the parts, it was advertised frequently, it undoubtedly made quite a bit of money. In fact, one of my best friends, who has kids, loves it. So potentially, it’s just me being oversensitive and bitchy.
I started this book because I’m obsessed with all things baby, obviously, and it seemed like it would be a safe book to read as it’s not about loss, it’s about not wanting them in the first place. Which I’m down with. There’s this saying; a lesbian is just a straight girl who just needs a good deep dicking. It makes me want to windmill kick people in the face. It’s a crude way of saying if you don’t want what is “normal” it’s just because you haven’t done it right yet. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people tell women who don’t want kids it’s just because they haven’t found the right man. Fuck off.
Sarcasm laced summery; 35 year old editor in New York, with a husband who totally agrees with the no kid’s pact, until he just doesn’t anymore. They get divorced because she’s not willing to compromise. She moves in with best friend who accidently on purpose gets knocked up by her married boyfriend, but then loses it and her feelings on the matter take about a paragraph and then we move on. First offense; implying it’s that easy to move on, I wasn’t expecting there to be loss, I should have put the book down. Of course main character has an infertile sister who finds out she has bum eggs, and asks MC to donate because she’s not using them right? MC thinks about this, and along the way decides ex husband was in fact her soul mate, and if this is true, then she should be willing to do whatever it takes to be with him, including procreation. Second fucking offense, again, should have put the book down. So then she has to tell sister dear she can’t give her any eggs, because it would be too weird for their potential kids to be cousins and siblings. Valid point. But sister dear does just fine with this news because one day she happens upon an unwed pregnant college student in a shoe store. Who absolutely no one can get judgmental about, because she got knocked up when the condom broke during sex in a monogamous relationship with her boyfriend who then broke up with her when she refused to get an abortion. So she’s responsible, educated and moral, life is just handing her a raw deal right now. That sounds like I’m mad at the college student, I’m not, I just find it interesting that all that info needed to be included so we would like her, that the potential readers would be all mad at a 17 year old fast food employee with a one night stand, even though she’s giving her baby up for adoption. She ends up sharing this story with sister dear, closing with the fact she’s been searching for the future parents of her unborn baby, she just hasn’t had that spark with anyone yet. 2 weeks later at Thanksgiving, sister dear makes the announcement that they’re getting a new baby soon, all paperwork and details are completed. The baby is home and meeting the family by Christmas.
I am livid.
I understand that this book is meant to be an entertaining escape for women. That everything needs to be tied up in a nice bow in a timely manner. I get that. But I’m super pissed. This book is by a pretty popular author, who even has had one of her other books made into a movie recently. Which leads me to the question, is it just me? Am I being oversensitive and bitchy? Am I the only one massively offended on multiple levels by this? It’s fine if I am, it wouldn’t be the first time, I can take it. I was just curious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No- that is truly a sorry-ass rag too flimsy to wipe with.
ReplyDeleteI realize not all books can pander to all walks of life, but I gotta say that the only people I can see resonating with that book are Barbara Bush and my grandmother, who told me not to get a tattoo because my future husband might not like it and Jesus says he'd be the head of my household.
I love my grandma endlessly, but we really don't read the same kind of stuff.
It's shameful, in my eyes, to produce art that panders to appalling and outdated social mores.
I guess republicans gotta read, is my point.
I think.
i haven't read that book, but i did see Life As We Know It, and that's all i could think either!
ReplyDeleteyou made me laugh with your windmill kick ;)
Is it just you? NO.
ReplyDeleteAnd sarcasm laced summaries are truly the only way to go for this.
~Mary
What See Kate run said. I need to go check out her blog, because even that comment kicked mucho ass.
ReplyDeleteSo did this post.
Well well.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was pregnant with Andrew and actually enjoyed watching stories about babies and parenting, I considered this movie. It was given rave reviews by everyone I knew and of course I planned to see it.
Then my kid died. So I vowed that I'll never intentionally put myself through that kind of business (esp with tragedy involved) if I knew ahead of time. Glad I didn't see it. I'd only think about the parents dying the whole freaking time, too.
And the lesbian comment had me almost out of my chair in rage. People are beyond my comprehension sometimes.
That book... not on my list anytime soon.