Sunday, August 28, 2011

“She’s fit for a strait-jacket. This broad’s fucked three ways towards the weekend. But you know what, Father? I dig it! It turns me on.”

I generally claim atheist with a side of secular humanist thrown in when discussing religion. I like the idea of being good for the sake of society as a whole as opposed to behaving (what is in my view) appropriate because I’m afraid of what will happen to me after I die. I do not believe in karma. Bad shit happens to good people, good shit happens to bad people, and babies die. Right there, proof against karma’s existence. Lately though, I’ve been searching for something. When Little T was lost while I was rocking G to sleep my tears would rain down on her head. I’m sure my body would clench, telling her of my anguish at the time she should be drifting off in a peaceful slumber having only sweet dreams. Before, rocking her to sleep was my favorite time, the thought of soothing them both at once, holding them together made my heart sing. Now she would fuss and squirm. In an effort to remedy this, I came up with a mantra; Mommy loves G_____. The purest simplest most honest words I could think of, to calm us both. I would repeat the words over and over in my head, using them to ward off the horrible sadness crowding my mind, the pictures I couldn’t help rising in the part of my brain behind my eyes. As though I were plugging my ears squinching my eyelids closed and saying; LALALALALA I. CAN'T. HEAR. YOU. I let the words fill all the spaces, and pictured them spilling over and washing over G. It worked, as well as any one thing could. My hippy sister (hi B!) said we need to manifest shit for ourselves in our own lives. Think positive. Make it happen. So when it was time to try again I searched on the internet for a Buddhist prayer for pregnancy. It is the religion I feel the most connection to, I like the ideas behind it. Turns out though, (please don’t be offended if I’m wrong, and feel free to correct me) Buddhist’s don’t pray for stuff to happen. They pray for acceptance and guidance about the stuff that did, is, or will happen. I wasn’t ready for this, but I also didn’t want to beg a god I don’t believe in for it either. So I came up with another mantra. I wrote it down, fold up the paper, and put it in my bra every day. I may as well go all the way right? (I wash my grocery list every single week, I’m not a good pocket checker, and I don’t want to forget it and for me; out of sight out of mind.) When I first started repeating it, I felt like a petulant child, demanding her way from the universe. When we got our positive pregnancy test, it felt like a reassurance of a very good possibility. I said the words to convince myself along with the universe. To counteract the butterflies that had taken up perpetual residence in my stomach along with that little one. We went to the Doctor’s last week, and saw on the ultra sound the new little one in my tummy. He was measuring small for the dates I gave them though. The Doctor was very reassuring, happens all the time. We talked about my fears; he said he knew I’d be holding my breath for the first trimester, to which I replied; “Most likely the other 2 as well.” He smiled. He recounted a story of another nervous mama asking when she could be sure; at what point could she believe everything will be all right? I said; “When he graduates college?” He chuckled. “Let’s make you an appointment for next week.” I know they should be once a month and he’s probably thinking; Wow, bummer for you pregnant girls can’t take Xana.x. I left still nervous. I want a guarantee from him, you will have this baby. But, that’s one he can’t give. Will any information ever be enough? Or will I spend the next 9 months in a state of fear? I was TERRIFIED for our Doctor’s appt. on Wednesday. I should have been barfing my brains out and lying on the couch in a heap of exhaustion by now. I am doing neither. Mild nausea for smells, some tiredness, nothing big. I worry that the hormones aren’t doubling as they should be because something is wrong; I think about him measuring small, I repeat my mantra more times a day than I know a number for. We settle back for some dildocam action, and at first I don’t see his heart beating. The Doctor moves the wand, and there it is. Pump pumping away. Of course I cry. It wouldn’t be an appointment with the man if I don’t shed snot and tears in the office. The baby is measuring fine compared to last week. He leaves when we’re done and I dress, still crying. J is…at a loss. “Ummm are you ok?” “I was really really scared.” We are given a due date, same as last week; April 8th. He asks if I want an appointment for 1 week or 2? I look at my husband, I know he doesn’t want to take off work early every week, but I also know he really will, even if I tell him he doesn’t have to come. He says; “It’s up to you babe, whatever you need.” I don’t know if he realizes that the one appointment he ever missed with G or Little T was the one I found out he was gone, and even though I try not to be superstitious, it sneaks in once in awhile. (All the time.) I take a deep breath and say 2 weeks, hoping I can make it that long. What I’d really like, if we’re being honest, is for someone to stop by a couple times a day to reassure me the baby is still alive in there, or maybe just insert a camera in the womb like that Discovery Channel movie, so I can just turn on a monitor and check up on him whenever I want. But I’m guessing that’s not going to happen. He tells me if I get too anxious to call up and they’ll fit me in for a quick scan. I’m relieved, but wonder what I would tell the receptionist for the reason I need to come in. I guess the honest one; I lost a baby before and I don’t think I can make it another day without making sure this one is still fine? Perhaps. As we embark on this journey, I am doing everything in my power to keep positive thoughts, reassuring thoughts, thoughts that will come true, running through my brain instead of the doubts and fears that keep trying to take over. I am so excited for this. I am grateful for the hope filled ball of cells I carry with me. I will repeat as many times as needed, millions upon billions; I am pregnant with a healthy baby who I will bring home and raise. I am pregnant with a healthy baby who I will bring home and raise. I am pregnant with a healthy baby who I will bring home and raise.

14 comments:

  1. Holy shit--so I started reading this and then one of my kids did something or other, so I had to stop. And then I came back and it was closed out already. But I thought, "Huh, I wonder where she was going with that." So I pop it back open to find THIS!?! Oh my shit. I'm sooooo excited and so happy for you. Imma start saying your mantra too. But, you know, for you, not for me. Amelia is pregnant with a healthy baby who she will bring home to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled with this idea of intention because I had that mindset with my first pregnancy. I had the best of intentions for Eliza, you know? And sometimes I think if it didn't work for her, then maybe I should do the opposite this time around and see if I can get a live baby at the end of it. But it turns out that fear and negativity is exhausting and I'm really working right now on positive intentions. In fact, I'm going to steal your mantra-in-the-bra idea, and if I get pregnant this month, I'll give you all the credit. Or at least 1/3 of it. I believe in your healthy baby who you will bring home and raise, and I'm so happy you heard that little heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha!! Thank you Lisa, for some reason this was all connected for me. And hells to the yes I'll take all the mantras I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy juju in your direction :)

    (leave no room for doubt, or fear, or worry. let the joy swell up like a helium balloon or microwave popcorn or - a pregnant belly.)

    smile.

    and yeah, i know, the popcorn was a bit of a stretch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, I was....unsure with G. I know so many women who have miscarried it almost felt like just part of the makin' babies biz. With Little T I was terrified from the begining, it was like I felt like my good luck was going to run out. And this time, I KNEW what it was like to fall in love with a baby. To have her grow and squirm inside me. I was scared to talk about the pregnancy, tell people, you name it. I do blame myself for all the negativity I put out there, sometimes I wonder if I "knew" something was wrong from the start or if I could have "caused" it. Most days I don't think it was either, that it was just the way life goes sometimes, but in my dark moments..
    Fear IS exhausting, and all consuming. I'm trying to enjoy all I can, and be thankful in advance I guess.
    By all means, mantra it up!! If nothing else, it gives my brain a place to go when it tries to take over. It totally helps me sleep at night. I thought about getting one of these prayer box necklaces to put it in instead of my bra, but I'd like to find it in person instead of order it online. :)) We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zanna! Thank you! I will take all the good luck and metaphors you have, bring on the popcorn belly! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're getting some additional positive vibes going for you. :)

    You've given me a very good idea of something to make. Let's hope I follow through with it. Thank you either way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I know you've been rooting for us. :) I didn't intend to inspire, but I can't wait to see what you do! I hope you follow through with it as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I'm reading the title & thinking some sort of garden variety Bacchic orgy....& then I read this beautiful piece. I am so very happy for you. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent news, of course.

    Wishing for all the best for you and the little flipper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. always wishing you the best. always sending good vibes your way. imagining all the fun things you'll blog about as a mommy with double trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Amelia!! Good thoughts all the way, I'm sure this will be a perfect pregnancy and delivery for you! BTW, toldja that whole list thing works. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I skip ONE post and THIS is the post?? Congratulations! I am so happy/fearful for the news. Thinking popcorn-belly thoughts at you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought that I'd added you to my Reader the very first time I came here, but duh - I must have been stuck on the stupids.

    I had no idea that you were newly pregnant! Happy, happy, soooo happy for you. I'll be sending all sorts of happy gangsta thug love that everything goes well from start to finish this time.

    You are definitely added to my Reader now. Fa sho'.

    ReplyDelete