Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls!"

I had my doctor's appointment yesterday to go over the results of all the bloodwork I'd done various times last month. I know! I never even mentioned it! As I was making my bed after putting G down for her nap I realized I'd never written about it on here, and I wasn't nearly as anxious as I was the last appointment. I mean I was by no means looking forward to it, but I wasn't having to stop every 5 minutes and put my head between my knees in an attempt not to pass out from the anxiety like I had to last time from like 2 days before my appointment on. I was super proud; back patting and mental high fiving myself. Then I made lunch, sat down at the computer and burst into tears before I even opened anything up. Burn. I guess being in control of my emotions was fun for that 5 minutes.

Actually I'm fine with my crying. I know it wasn't because of the actual doctor's appointment, it was because I'd be discussing pregnancy, and discussing pregnancy brings to the foreground those that are always floating around in my head and heart, and that makes me sad because I miss them. I miss them with every breath I take, it's just that sometimes it gets too hard to breathe and it turns into sobs. I don't berate myself for that.

I remain proud of my keeping my anxiety somewhat under control. I was fine until I sat down in his office, which is light years better than last time. Then I was sweaty palmed and dry mouthed. But I was able to conduct conversation, so that's what matters.

All my test results came back very normal, and I am ovulating. So this means either the OPK was wrong, I just didn't hit the right day to get a positive result, or I've started ovulating at some point after doing the kit. Whatever, it's nice to know shit is working, in theory at least.

I was talking to J about the results, and I told him that getting knocked up is not going to solve our problems, it will hypothetically take us a step closer to our ultimate goal; another living baby, but in all honesty it will also just bring on a whole new set of problems. Right now our problems are I'm sad, I miss our babies, and that I am currently not pregnant. Which sucks ass, but I am dealing with it as well as I can. Should I get knocked up the first 2 problems will remain the same, and undoubtedly become amplified, but the 3rd will morph into a laundry list of other things, centering around what I eat, do, feel, and whether that child will survive. At least in the trying to get pregnant I have things I am able to do to contribute to the goal. Once I'm pregnant, I'm free floating with my awful thoughts and finger crossing.

In my head, my statistics of bringing home a kid after pregnancy are 25%. 4 pregnancies, 1 kid. Not very good I'm afraid. I realize these are not the actual statistics, that they are just what has happened thus far, but it's what my brain computes.

When I lost Little T my thoughts to help me through it was to get pregnant as quickly as possible, when I ended up having 2 D&Cs within 5 weeks of each other, and then an early miscarriage I was terrified I'd lost the ability to carry a baby. It was all I thought about. Now even that takes a back burner. My ability to carry is nothing if the baby doesn't have the ability to live once it's born.

So my thoughts have been conflicted since having Little M. I'm....ashamed? Scared? Horrified? to admit that I dread getting pregnant as much as I long for it. The more time it takes to happen the longer I have until I lose another one I guess. Not very positive thinking I'm afraid. Which is why though I'm devastated each month it ends up not happening, I cry each time as though it's the first, I'm never really surprised.

And now I've managed to turn excellent test results into the most depressing post ever, yay me! I'm writing all this to try and get used to it. I need to own my feelings, not be ashamed of them, and if they're bad, I need to find a way to change them around into something better. I think purging them instead of hiding them is a good start. Next is positive thinking. Maybe not about trying to control the outcome, but about my ability to handle whatever the outcome may be. Buddhist shit right? Perhaps I'll start there.

To prevent everyone reading this running to the liquor cabinet I'm closing with one of my favorite scenes from a movie ever. We've been singing this song for 3 days around here because I've been watching it to cheer myself up, G will have it memorized in no time.




Is it fucked up how much that scene makes me laugh? Oh it's gotta be, that can't be right.

12 comments:

  1. Dude, five minutes is better than your head between you legs. High five!
    And ovary high five! Those bastards are working.
    I don't know what happened at your therapist or if you are still going, but my (not at all) professional opinion as a therapist(who has only your blog to go by) is that you may well have PTSD. And that shit will run rampant whenever it wants to, even on the happiest of days.
    If you can't, or don't want to, go to a therapist consider a PTSD workbook. It will give you simple tools to manage your symptoms. It won't take away the pain, but it could help you cope.
    This is one I've worked with:
    http://www.amazon.com/PTSD-Workbook-Effective-Techniques-Overcoming/dp/1572242825/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346365916&sr=1-1&keywords=ptsd+workbook
    And how fucked up is it that all I want out of life is for my family to be able to Glee-sing like that on car trips? lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your diagnosis. :) I did go to therapy for about 3 months and it was an interesting experience, to be honest I think I need a therapist that specializes in grief or something of that nature because this one seemed....bewildered about what to do with me. And spent quite a bit of time talking me down from the proverbial ledge I don't think I was on. She was constantly reminding me of all the awesome things I have in my life, which I totally agree with, they're the reason I get up in the morning and I am eternally and vocally thankful for them daily. But the point of going to therapy was to to talk about the bad shit I was going through, and she didn't seem too interested in that. It was weird. I looked into support groups but due to our boondockedness there's only one and it's generalized, and I'd feel ALOT more comfortable going to one that was for pregnancy/baby loss. Doing something on my own sounds like it's right up my alley right now, thank you very much, I'll be looking into this.

      Delete
  2. I can understand being conflicted & at times feeling it is all mired in futility..there is no cool-headed logician response to all this. You are owning you feelings & your facts, but they are raw material, not finished product. Now what to do with them? Sometimes that Buddhist stuff helps :-)(I meditate every day..the atheist meditator).

    That scene is Hysterical. And I have those Chanel glasses. IJS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need to figure out how to move forward in one way or another, if meditation helps, I'm all for it.

      Delete
  3. That is the worst thing about it. Wanting to be pregnant yet knowing it won't fix your problems. It might make you feel a bit better knowing you'll get to mother another baby, but lord do I know.

    I dreaded pregnancy and needed to be pregnant immediately as well. I was never at ease and I am afraid about another pregnancy, too. I'm 33% on my average. Pretty crappy, too. And sadly, to add another live baby to our mix, I'll have to go through that hell again, too.

    Glad to hear your body is doing what it should. Cheap sticks from Amazon, my friend. Pee nonstop and drink wine. Wine. Wine. Wine. And also, feel free to whine. Wine + whine might be a new combo to bring live babies into the world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't find a comment button so am attaching my comment to this comment! Hm. Anyway, I have only had one miscarriage, at 11 weeks, and afterward I was terrified to be pregnant again. And then, during that pregnancy, I started heavily spotting around eight weeks. I was sure the baby was gone. I had totally accepted it. And then, there was the heartbeat. I still get goosebumps remembering. I did a SHITLOAD of research on miscarriage and childbirthing and research..is kind of my 'thing'- I'm really good at it, I've learned, in part because I'm a speed reader. If you ever would like me to send you an email of the things I did to attempt to help a pregnancy stay, I would be happy to do that. beezus74@hotmail.com

      I am so glad you are able to control your anxiety. Are you doing any yoga at all? I have these DVD yoga by Rodney Yee, they are amazing for my anxiety. xo

      Delete
    2. I'm a vodka girl, but yes, I get what you're saying. I appreciate knowing what I'm feeling is normal for the situation.

      Delete
  4. Maggie, I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels work outs every night, which probably isn't nearly as mentally helpful as yoga, but it's getting me through the day. I will be emailing you for more info, any way I can be proactive is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoga reintroduced me to my mind/body connection thang. If it did the same for you it could be soothing and grounding. Might be too raw. As cliche as it sounds, it changed my life. Damn near saved it.

    Though what you're thinking isn't "true" (read: logical) it makes sense. I'd think it. PTSD makes sense, too. I don't see how you could lose Little M and not have a case of PTSD.

    I watched your clip twice in a row and am now ordering Step Brothers on Netflix. :D (I totally sing like the wife.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to do yoga on video because I will absolutely half ass it if no one else is there so it's kinda not worth it. There were some classes not horribly far, I'll look into if they're still being offered.

      The wife is my FAVORITE character in the movie. The movie itself is funny, I like it well enough but every damn scene that woman is in is hilarious.

      I'm jealous of her singing skills.

      Delete
  6. Sigh. I get this so very much. For me it's the fear that it will never really happen. That it will never end with a healthy baby in my home.

    The fear hasn't kept me from trying though. I hope it doesn't for you either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't yet. Fingers crossed I'll be able to continue.

      Delete