Friday, February 8, 2013

Trifextra

"Then Mother said, "Oh Elena, oh no!" and it was the strangest thing, looking at her, to see her get white beneath her summer brown.  And then she said, "What can we do?""


This is my response to Trifextra's challenge for this weekend. 
The rules are as follows:
This weekend we are venturing into uncharted territories once again.  This Trifextra isn't so much a writing challenge; it's more of a reading challenge.  We want you to scour through your favorite pieces of literature and give us the best 33 words you can find. 

Some quick guidelines:
  • The writing you choose should not be your own.
  • The 33 words should be lifted directly from another source (i.e. don't take 33 random words from Macbeth and shake them into a poem of your own (though that would be an awesome idea for another challenge) and don't take a sentence from the beginning of a book and another from the end--keep the original order).
  • Credit your sources.
  • You can't use the same 33 words as anyone else in the linkz. Skim through before posting your own.  You can use the same author and even the same title, just not the exact same words.
Mine is from Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle.  She is my favorite author, which is quite odd, as she writes about God and science mainly, neither of which I have any use for, and mostly children's books, something I have not been for quite awhile.  However.  She also writes about families. Imperfect, quite odd, ever accepting, extremely smart, loving to no end, families.  The mothers especially have always grabbed my attention.  When I was young, I wanted the strong knowledgeable mothers to be my own.  I always felt I was in charge of protecting mine.  Now that I am a mom, I will their confidence and intellect, as well as their offsprings' unshakable love, to be my own.  This particular passage, the mother receives awful news about her best friend's husband.  She does not wail and moan, she has biological responses, and keeps her emotions in check.  Assuring she is the One In Charge, as well as the One You Can Go To For Help, No Matter What.  Mrs. Austin is my idol.  

15 comments:

  1. My mom was so not the One In Charge when I was growing up. I think I would have liked these mothers L'Engle wrote. She is, however, the One Who Will Always Be Supportive, and for that I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is as well, thank you for reminding me of that.

      Delete
  2. mothering is a difficult, challenging, but oh, so very fulfilling, task. most of the time. we all have doubts . . . even Mrs. Austin, if one were to know the real her. thank you for sharing this book with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely choice. I agree - Madeleine L'Engle wrote families really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great choice. Nice to see you in the linkz this weekend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your reasons behind the choice too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting choice. We all need role models and you have chosen a strong one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stories by L'Engle, and the line you chose is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quote and how well it fits with your own description of what it meant to you. Motherhood is the foundation upon which our lives are built.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. I have read some Madeline L'Engle but not this one. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liked the fact that you gave a background & the quote became more meaningful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having you explanation confers a certain intimacy that makes this all the more lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. rather your explanation :-)...

    ReplyDelete