G was invited to her first swim birthday party. Which yay for her!! Unfortunately I had to go all 'crazy girl' about it. I was nervous. I'm embarrassed to admit it. I've worked hard on this body, I feel healthy and strong, and I am adamant about owning who you are and what you look like. I don't give 2 shits about how anyone else looks in their bathing suit, big, small, old, young, whatever! You're gorgeous!! I PROMISE you are, work it!! But while I'm close with the mom, I don't know her family or other friends and I was stressed about being half naked in front of new people. I had the following conversation with J:
"Babe, I'm feeling self conscious about being in a bathing suit at the swim party with the zits on my arms and legs and my jiggly thighs and the loose skin where I used to have boobs for that five minutes and my zebra striped weirdo tan lines and I need some encouragement."
He looks up. "What the fu...no one else will see that shit. I think you look good. And FUCK everyone else."
My poet. But he was right. No one else would see that shit. I tried to reassure myself. Meanwhile the universe caught wind of my shallow plight, and laughed heartily saying: I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
I own 3 bathing suits, one I bought just before our wedding cruise and is white and cute, but due to bodily changes brought about by pregnancy and nursing, the thin white material is no longer very appropriate. It and the second one have tie sides on the bottoms, which I do not find flattering for my figure. I feel like they cut in to the side of my hips and draw attention to the aforementioned jiggly thighs. Also, I've lost weight and the second one just doesn't fit right anymore. Which left bathing suit number 3. Cute bottoms and top, not massively revealing, somewhat flattering, the obvious choice. I try it on, and note the bottoms feel a bit bigger than they used to but don't give it a second thought, not even thinking about the fact it's 15 years old. Apparently there's a shelf life or something.
The day of the party the high was to be 110, which is actually a good thing because I don't like swimming unless it's in the triple digits. I was a little worried about whether there would be shade and how crazy G would get because it was directly during naptime, but I was still also stressing about stripping down.
We arrive, step out of the car, and are instantly coated in a layer of sweat. G informs me she needs to urgently use the restroom. We find the bathroom by the pool and as I lean over to put her on the toilet the plastic clasp on the back of my top breaks apart. I'm like; Ho. Ly. Fuck. Luckily I was super lazy about an alteration I'd done and had safety pinned it instead of sewing it, so I was saved. I pinned it together, and realized this was not going to work over my shoulders. Leaving wedging it on over my sweaty ass as the only way to get it on. Lawd. G looks at me like I'm a nutjob and says MOM. What ARE you DOING?!! and I was like mind your business, go play with the faucet or something. I have to be very delicate about this process because if I snap this safety pin I'm screwed, there's nothing else to use. I finally get it up and on and we're in business! WHEW!! We step outside very ready for the pool.
I find a place for our stuff, get G in her life jacket and in we go. As soon as the water hits my hips I realize, the bottoms I thought were a bit big, despite the fact I bought them when I was smaller, have zero elasticity left. They're just swaying in time to the water to and from my body. For fuck sake. I wasn't going to be doing much swimming anyway, as I had G with me, but that sealed the deal, they would just slide right off if my feet didn't remain planted on the floor. But even better? Exiting the pool. I had to bunch up a wad of it in my hand, grab the sarong I decided to bring LAST MINUTE and tie it as tight as I could around the water logged bottoms trying desperately to succumb to gravity's bidding. All while trying to help G, who can't stand still without randomly falling over on land let alone in water, get up the stair as well. Ridiculous.
The rest of the party goes very well. I no longer give one little shit about what people may think of my pasty jiggly thighs, my only concern is to avoid having to register as a se.x off.ender for exposing myself to a large group of kids age 1 to 14.
G starts spacing out and I decide she's been without nap long enough and we go. She sleeps for a bit, but of course refuses to go back down when we get home. Due to the high temperature and our crap ac all the black out curtains are closed and the fans are blasting, so I just let her chill on the couch in her undies for a bit watching cartoons. J gets home from work and I regale him with my story. He tells me;
"Get a bathing suit. A real one, not from walmart for $10."
And I blink at him for a second before dutifully sitting down at the computer. He joins me and we end up at vic.toria's se.cret. They're having a sale so we scroll through the options. I find a pair of bottoms I really like, they look comfortable and flattering for my body type, and I imagine being able to wear them with confidence. I was planning to just get the 2 pieces of triangle shaped fabric for the top because all the trimmings sincerely isn't going to do much for my tiny chest. But J insisted I look at other options, and tells me I'm allowed to pick something I feel pretty in. Interesting. I pick a simple underwire top, and J desperately wants me to get it in blue. Weirdo, but being that I truly don't care so long as it isn't covered in sparkles or odd decorations I acquiesce. I triple check the sizing and measurements, there's no way I wear that size, and click submit.
It was expensive. In my eyes at least. Everyone else I've talked to think it's a pretty fair price. But it came in the mail yesterday, and it fits perfectly! And I feel cute!! I'll be able to go to the next swim party G was invited to at the end of the month with confidence! I'm so glad I bought it. And I keep telling myself, if it lasts anywhere close to 15 years it's totally worth it. I will be very diligent about any changes it may go through however. And I've put safety pins in my purse. Those little bastards are awesome.
*My quote: My BFF Pretend Friend was having a very bad no good kind of day. But damn if she didn't make me laugh my ass off when this showed up on her facebook status for all to see.

Just the other day I was bitching about the fact that my cheapie Old Navy bathing suits last about 2-3 years before they lose all elasticity and basically disintegrate. Why is it that bathing suit material does that? For the love?!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you got another suit. I hope you have lots of opportunities to wear it.
As old and crotchety as it makes me sound; I think they just don't make things like they used to. Or maybe chlorine levels have increased in pools? Unknown, but this one better last.
DeleteThanks. :))
Yay! I'm glad you got a good one! Also, the fact that you can find a bathing suit online that fits and looks good means you don't need to worry about it at all.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I still haven't gotten contacts. And I might just start calling myself Alexander.
You should call yourself Alexander, except it may have to be changed to year(s).
DeleteI can't believe you're still blind. That's crazysauce.
Amazing story. Good for you getting a new swimsuit.
ReplyDeleteI just bought one with underwire that cost WAY more than I wanted it to. But these boobs need some lift now, let me tell ya.
I am totally with you. Thanks. :)
DeleteHa! I can just imagine the clamped-thigh shuffle you had to do heading out of the pool. Gah. Swimming pools are ghastly creations. Your new suit sounds primo, as does your husband. ;)
ReplyDeleteCheers to a summer of swimming!
It was ridiculous. Probably funny for those watching though. :)
DeleteSummer is my favorite!
So this story was better than any awesome, fabulous fitting suit! Ha! Why is it that we are always the ones wearing the crap clothes? The kid loosk awesome in a coordinated suit with rash guard and matching flip-flops while we have on the 15 year-old suit! :-)
ReplyDeleteLoved the laugh! Happy you splurged on a new suit!
RIGHT?!! Oh em gee. That is so the truth. Now I just have to find a cover up....:))
DeleteYou're hawt. Flaunt that shit.
ReplyDelete*blushes* Why thank you. :))
DeleteHa. I have similar problems.
ReplyDeleteEither the top is too large (hello no boobs from breastfeeding!) or the bottoms are.
I desperately need a new suit. Your story is basically the reason I make my husband go swimming with our son.
I tried on a bunch of bathing suits where the top and bottom come together at the store and it was out of control. Too tight bottoms, way too big tops. Every time. Do equally proportioned people exist?
DeleteIf I could have sent J I would have, lucky for him he was at work and missed it all.
I don't attend swim parties or swim lessons that require me to wear a bathing suit. Unless Grace's dad agrees to be the one to wear the suit in public and get in the water with her...
ReplyDeleteI gave up on that battle a long time ago. I'll wear a suit on an anonymous beach somewhere, but not at a party with friends. Aw hell no.
But damn sister, you needed a new suit!!!
Hahahaha!! It's interesting the rules we have for wearing these things. I'm nervous around X people but fine with Y. I'm silly. It's something I really want to work on, for G's sake, for my own. Confidence from one thing spreads to another, it can only be good.
DeleteMy La Perla bathing suit was $248. But I look great in it. Which matters, it really does. It doesn't matter that I look good to stranger-swimmers, it matters that I look good to Me. Feel better about the price of yours now?
ReplyDeleteIn Germany I went to a nude beach. GF, that will cure you of any body flaw worries. These 200+ lb women with more body hair than a grizzly bear were rocking their suits. ~Mary
I'd meant to write: rocking their birthday suits.
DeleteTruly, it was quite a sight.
Mine was $53, so yeah, a bit less. The differences between my old suit and my new are minimal, they're both 2 pieces of fabric designed to keep me from getting arrested. But I do FEEL so different in them. I'm excited to feel happy with what I"m wearing to the pool!
DeleteAnd oh my lawd, I think I'd LOVE it. So many people NOT CARING. Sounds awesome.
Good for you for buying a new bathing suit- an expensive one, no less! I have a whole drawer full of bathing suits, some of which, I am sure, are well past their shelf life. After reading this, I will be certain to give them a test run at home before wearing them in public.
ReplyDeleteI did have a similar experience with a pair of thigh high nylons- the elastic gave out while I was at the opera. I had to walk around the whole night holding the fucking thing up. I'm sure people thought I had some weird tic, or something. Had in not been the middle of winter, I probably would have just ditched them in the bathroom, but it was bloody cold out, and I had a bit of a walk to my car. Now, I always carry a spare pair- just like your safety pins! :)
PLEASE DO. Whew!
DeleteThat is equally funny I think, because I feel like the opera would be all high class and here you are messing with your nylons the whole night. I love it!! Damn clothing failing on us!!
I still buy cheap swimsuits because I'm theoretically growing. My mom had an experience similar to yours when my brother and I were about two. She now buys a decent suit every year. Depending upon their condition, she uses the two past years' suits for swimming at our house when no one but the immediate family is there. She tosses anything older than that.
ReplyDeleteShe said she's never unintentionally exposing herself in public again. If she exposes herself in public or semi-public, it's going to be for the big bucks at some club. She's getting a little old for that sort of thing, but that's another story.
If I ever meet your mother I'm high fiving her for this one. She's a smart lady.
DeleteLOL, that's great! I too should think about getting a new suit. I have a very old, but in very good condition (last time I wore it over a year ago) Nike one piece (for proper swimming). I probably spent as much as you did on it. The trick is to rinse it at the pool after swimming and properly wash it when you get home. My two piece (bathing/lounging) suit fits, but I should definitely get one that holds the boobs better...I hate flopping.
ReplyDeleteLuckily (?) flopping is no longer a concern for me. I don't actually do proper swimming, I'm more of a drowner.
DeleteI loved reading this, and you are awesome. I can't believe you expect your suit to last 15 years, I laughed! out loud! ;)
ReplyDelete