Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Where I am 2013: 2 years 5 months and 19 days.



I am 2 years, 5 months, 19 days from my first loss at 15 weeks, 1 year, 10 months, 27 days from my second loss at 8 weeks, 1 year, 6 months, 5 days from my third loss at 23 weeks, 5 months 30 days from my fourth loss at 8 weeks, and 2 months, 9 days from my fifth loss at 10 weeks.

Man.  That paragraph sucks ass.  

It's very close to my due date for my first loss.  I should be planning a second birthday party and here I am unsure I'll ever have a second child to plan anything for.  

 This is my contribution for this project last year.  It is beyond disheartening that I am essentially in the same place, except with even less hope to give G a sibling in the future.  

We are preventing pregnancy for the first time since we began to try and conceive 2.5 years ago.  I am gathering my wits, focusing on myself, G, my husband, our lives and taking the roller coaster of hope and loss out of the equation.  Of course, the loss remains.  

I am attempting to ease myself into accepting the fact G may actually be the only baby I get to keep.  All the clothing in bins in storage for the next one may never be used by us.  Each time I switch the clothes from one season to the next I keep less and less.  I've removed the toys G is too old to play with from the house instead of keeping them in the spare room's closet.  I don't think about what colors I'd paint it's walls.  

I've had to acknowledge my health is a good enough reason to take vitamins, eat healthy.  For so long it was for the maybe baby, when that no longer became an option, the temptation to not give a shit, to eat badly, start smoking again was very high.  I've had to convince myself I'm more than just a vessel.  I need to treat myself well just for the sake of me, not just for the sake of others.  

It's hard to figure out where the grief ends and I begin.  What is now just a part of my personality and is here to stay versus what will ease with time.  

I struggle with making new friends.  It's inconceivable to me that I could become close with someone who doesn't know my story, but I have no clue when to tell it.   Or how.  What words can I possibly say to describe all that we have been through, without belittling or minimizing it but also not completely overwhelming and terrifying the new potential friend?  Especially since it will most likely be a compassionate mother?  (I don't see myself making many new friends without kids right now) I don't want to put the reality of my story in their world.  I want to protect them I guess.  Let them think all goes right in the world, pregnancies end in babies you take home.  

So much unnecessary pressure I put on myself.  Maybe someday I will figure out what I'm comfortable with sharing, to whom, and when.   Or maybe it will always be this hard.  

I keep very busy, G and I are always on the go.  I exercise every day, and when I don't the effect is very noticeable.  I go outside, sit in the sun.  I cuddle, I read, I dance, I love.  I cry.  Not as much anymore, but often.  I cry for myself, my babies, my daughter.  For friends of friends and complete strangers. I am so so grateful for the life I have.  I try to heal.  I miss my babies all the time.  

And I listen to this song every single day.  It helps.  It all helps. 







Edited to add: I forgot to provide the link to the wonderful blog that started this all.  Go on over and support everyone right where they are HERE.

30 comments:

  1. Every day G brings you great joy amidst your grief. And, girlfriend, I f-ing LOVED being an only child. I got attention upon attention upon attention. Mom & Dad were at every play & every picture I drew(I have zero drawing talent)was praised as a Picasso. I wasn't whining for God to give me a brother or a sister because most of the kids I knew with older brothers or sisters got hit by them, & the ones with younger brothers & sisters got bugged by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You soothe my heart every time you tell me this.

      Delete
  2. Knowing when and how to share our stories is hard. Honoring you and all the children you have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first paragraph was awful and made my heart heavy for you.

    I hope you find the right friend(s) who makes sharing your story feel like the right thing to do instead of an uncomfortable topic you don't know how to bring up.

    My dad is an only child and I asked him if he ever wanted siblings and he said he never really cared. I honestly think you tend to prefer what you're used to and grew up with. A good friend of mine has had three losses and one living. She wants more, but her husband, an only child is fine with one (living). I totally understand how this would be hard on your heart but what I'm trying (and most likely failing) to say is that I suspect no matter what, G is going to have a happy life and be no worse for the wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of this. You're right, the right friends will take away some of my reticence to share. And I LOVE hearing how happy Onlys are. :))

      Delete
  4. *hugs*

    You taking care of yourself because you are worth it is a great starting place. Everything else will come when you're ready.

    I've been dealing with a far less devastating loss for four years this week and I'm only just beginning to see pieces of me that were buried, and I don't think I've told anyone I've met since then about it. Totally not the same, but I get where you're coming from. Let people think whatever they want about you and why you do the things you do. As long as you're OK with what you're doing, that's all that matters. Well, I guess J being OK with it matters too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, that's Ian's favorite song on the album.

      Delete
    2. Not less devastating, not in the least. A broken heart is universal.
      I should probably not put off the story telling, it'd be some explanation for my crazy being all everywhere! Hahaha!!

      Delete
  5. You're very strong, and I know that it may seem merely out of necessity, but you are truly strong.

    Also, I was an only-child who was all about wanting siblings UNTIL I GOT THEM. I think G will end up okay, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Thank you, and I love it! Awesome to know!

      Delete
  6. The song is of a genre I don't usually embrace, but I really lIKE it. I'm going to add it to my list. i don't have running music because my parents don't want me to have erphines or plugs or anything unless I'm running on a track, which I usually don't unless I'm hurdling, but I think it's great exercise music.

    There's no way possible to put a positive spin on your tragedies, but your friend is right that
    there are tons of advantages to being an only child. (My mom, who would have read the research to know, says only children tend to be brighter than those with siblings.)

    I don't think there is a perfect number of children to have, but in general from what I've seen of the extended family, smaller is better. In my own extended family, I haven't seen one family with more than four kids who is remotely functional. I know there are those out there with more kids who ARE functional; they're just not in my family.

    G. will get all the attention she needs. The sad thing to me is that however many children you had, all would've been properly loved, cared for, and paid attention to. It makes me angry that the wrong people are unable to have the number of children they want, while idiots such as some of my relatives multiply like rabbits and then thoroughly botch the job of raising their children.

    I know that I am not helping you in the least by being angry, but I am angry. I don't understand the way nature and the world work sometimes, and some things that I see upset me.

    I'm sorry that you have so many anniversarieis of unhappy times that you're forced to remember even though you may try not to acknowledge or remember them.

    Regardless, I should be and am happy that G. has near-perfect parents (I'd say perfect, but my mom insists there's no such thing, though she may just be making excuses for her own foibles) and will have a life that any child would envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm angry too, but I just try my best not to spend my life "scoreboarding" because I don't need any final shoves off the deep end.

      J and I are FAR from perfect parents, but it is our goal to make sure G has a damn good life, so we've got that going for us.

      Delete
  7. That paragraph does suck.

    It's hard to tell where the grief ends and I begin. What a powerful little statement I understand so greatly.

    I also have difficulty making friends-- friends that are really meaningful anyway. I can judge those pretty quickly. And sadly, I don't think I've made any new REAL friends that know about my loss and love me for all that it made me (how horrible though) since Andrew died. I haven't made any real friends since Andrew died.

    Well now here I'm depressed about that!

    I have yet to write this for myself. I'm not sure I feel ready. The thought of this being my third contribution makes me all weak in the knees.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few acquaintances that have potential of being new friends, but I'm really guarded and skittish so yeah, I get where you're coming from.

      I was surprised when it came up in my blog feed, already? It's time for that again? It all goes so fast and so very slowly.

      Delete
  8. I'm fairly terrible at making friends - and I think it's why blogging is such a good medium for me - I'm all about being best friends right now tell me everything let's share every secret, but apparently that scares people off. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I'd LOVE to share everything the first day! Let's get it all out! But yeah, I think that wouldn't make me very many friends. They'd go running!

      Delete
  9. Every time I read something you write, I'm struck by our similarities. I could have written this myself... except that for me- I know now that there will be no more babies. And I struggle with making friends as well. Though I think that for me, it's about being afraid to let people in. I've lost so much- it's hard to let anyone get close, for fear of losing them, too. Ugh... anyway... enough depressing chat- I just wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone. It just, plain, sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our stories are so very similar, for that I'm sorry. I can see that as being something would be an issue for me too, I think in my case, there's so much sorrow and sadness in my heart it'd just be hard to find room for something that is supposed to be joyful; a new friendship. My emotions are stretched to the limit. *sigh*

      Delete
  10. Ohhhhhhh, you had me at "I've had to acknowledge my health is a good enough reason to take vitamins, eat healthy." I recently had to increase one of my lupus medications so I can decrease the prednisone. I was so resistant. Why? Because the new medication is a teratogen. And I would have to wean off it for 2+ years before even trying to get pregnant again. Which was a huge consideration, even though my doctors have said a resounding "no way" to future pregnancies. Even still, I'd prefer the prednisone, even with bone loss and weight gain and a host of other side effects, because the other medication seems like I'm moving away from my desire for another child...

    You are so amazing...I love when you replied: "Not less devastating, not in the least. A broken heart is universal." You'd have every right to be unsympathetic to those of us who have lost far less... Amazing.

    And, yeah, get the friend thing. Which is probably we blog. I see complete strangers (usually those with babies) and want to scream, "Please, please, please see my pain! Just acknowledge my loss...my heart is broken and torn and devastated and you're SMILING..."

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that would be so hard! And not even just what we put in or how we treat our bodies! Plans in general make me freeze up; what if I'm....BLARG. It's really hard to just LIVE.

      It is SO much easier to write about it than tell people. Ugh.

      Delete
  11. I love that song.

    Your opening paragraph is heartbreaking. You've got it right, it sucks. I'm so very sorry.

    I hope that this break from the rollercoaster gives you time to gather yourself together and that you can continue to look after yourself for you.

    I also still struggle with making friends, my first pregnancy is so integral to the person that I am today and I'm never quite sure when to 'spring it' on somebody new as it were. So I tend never to mention it at all. Like you, I don't want to taint their world where pregnancies never go wrong and everybody has as many children as they want and is able to take them all home.

    'J and I are FAR from perfect parents, but it is our goal to make sure G has a damn good life, so we've got that going for us.' You may not feel that you are perfect but I feel so much love and determination underlying this sentence. I think that G is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am who I am because of what I've been through and I need to be accepting and honest about that. Easier said than done. Where's the nearest carpet for me to sweep this until later? Not good for me to do at all.

      Delete
  12. Yep that first paragraph really, really sucks. I'm so sorry. My husband is an only who was happy and is a perfectly well-adjusted adult. I know that it doesn't really help deep down to hear that when you so wanted/want a sibling for G. I felt that way before M was born and people told us E would be fine. I knew that. I wanted more. I hope you find peace with whatever happens (whatever peace looks like). And I know about the making friends too - we are making friends now with a new family in our building and I am full of angst about when I should tell them about A and know if I don't we'll never really be friends. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, and your support. I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  13. I wanted to let you know that I read this post the day you published it, and have so wanted to come back and comment since.

    That first paragraph is tough. I can't even comment. It really sucks, and you are in warrior like status in going through it.

    The statement about YOU and YOUR health are a good enough reason to take vitamins... That hit home with me. I have yet to look at myself with a real regard for MY health. Just healthy enough to have babies...

    I have a terrible time with friends. I'm a huge loner. And it used to be by choice - as if ppl where banging down my door to hang out - but now I'm realizing I haven't made/kept any decent connections. I have one friend. A good friend. But that's it. If it weren't for Daniels 2 sisters, I wouldn't talk to anyone except him on a regular basis. And it's getting really lonely ... And sad. I had a really good male friend back in the day...but ever since I got pregnant with Alexander, we drifted apart. I guess our young and single bar hoping lifestyle had to come to an end one day. But enough about my horrible social life...

    I can totally see how ppl want what they grew up with. I'm struggling right now with having Theodore as my only. I don't think I'm strong enough to manage another newborm AND a 1 or 2 or 3 year old... And it's sad because I always thought I'd have 3.

    And now I have 2, but 1 ... Shit. It sucks to think ahead.

    I think you're so damn smart and funny and strong and loving... You don't deserve to be missing your babies. You deserve to have as many as you want, alive and well and in your life.

    Sending love to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your newborn experience is nothing like what others have, I can attest that G's first year was Hard. As. Shit. and I had zero losses and the most stress free pregnancy possible. Sleep deprivation, hormonal issues, we started so soon after G so I could get the insanity out of the way all at once because I was nutso. Don't go making decisions based on how you feel right now. It will get better. I promise. The grief, I can't promise, I have no insight how that will be. But the rest of it gets easier.

      Delete
  14. Thinking of you and all of your children. Wishing that no parent had to live in a world without their child/children. Sending hope and hugs.

    ReplyDelete