Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"It's like your Aunt Edna's ass. It goes on forever and it's just as frightening."



I have dyed my own hair my entire adult life.  I went to a salon to get it done exactly once, and it was at my MiL insistence as it was like 2 weeks before my wedding.  The color was gorgeous, the price notsomuch.  I'm cheap, my hair just isn't that much of a priority. 

I only dye from the ears forward of my hair now, in an attempt to keep as much of it healthy as I can, lightening it does a lot of  damage in my case.  I'd just leave it the normal color but it is a very dull gray (not the white gray that comes with age just a blah gray) light brown that is not attractive in my opinion.  I tried dying it darker, as that's not quite as damaging, but it only accentuated the sun spots on my forehead and within 2 weeks my actual gray hairs we're sticking up all like HI!  WE'RE RIGHT HERE!!  CAN YOU SEE US?!!  I didn't like it and gradually went back to the light blond. 

The only problem with light blond is that I'm always worried I'm going all  Kelly Bundy, and instead of it looking flattering and somewhat natural and pretty I just look like a frizzy haired bleach blond with dark ass roots.  I only use half the box of dye, because I dont' need the whole thing, and Hi! I'm cheap, so my calculations are guesses on how much to use of each portion.  The last time I dyed it, it felt really brassy and unnatural.  So when it was time for my tri-yearly trim I asked A to do the dye job as well.  She asked what color and I said blond, because as I said I'm of 2 minds when it comes to the shade.  She chose a darker blond that is very close to my natural shade except not all yuck.  I was excited because I would now be answering my question of should I go darker?  

I should not.  I felt all mousy, dull.  I did not like the dark blond.  It turns out I'm an all the way girl.  If it's going to have streaks they're going to be dark purple and thick.  If it's going to be darker than my natural color it's going to be DARK BROWN, with black cherry mixed in.  And if it's going to be blond, apparently I'll be Kelly Bundy blond.  Contrast, I dig it.

So I highly anticipated my next hair dye day.  I did it myself, I had the other half of the box from before.  June 1st I bounced out of bed, made G her breakfast and chemicaled up while she ate.  As I waited the allotted time it was like the sunshine itself was circling my hair follicles.  I was so excited.  I could not wait to be BLOND again.  

I wash it out and dry it, and look at my reflection hopefully.  Brassy.  Damn.  I ask J what he thinks of my dye job.   He says "Umm, it's kinda orange."  
To which I replied; "Dick."  
He blinked.  "What do you think of the color?"  
Shit.  ".....Hmph.  Orange."  
He laughs, "Would you rather I lie?"  
Oh of course not.  I love his honesty, I really really do.  But I would rather my hair color come out the way I want.  So it seems it's back to the drawing board.  I'll have A do it next time I think, as it will be trimming time again, but this time I'll be more detailed about my wants.  Lighter.  Much.  But maybe not Kelly Bundy.  And NOT ORANGE.  :))  

*My quote: It's from Parenthood, the movie.  And it's grandpa describing what parenting is like.  My next amazon purchase will be Parenthood, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, and Mackenzie Phillips' biography.  Just in case you were wondering.  

14 comments:

  1. I want one of those nail color wands from the 5th Element, only for hair.
    And holy shit, I love Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. My. God. That would be PERFECT!!!

      The dishes are done man..

      Delete
  2. My roots turned orange this time too. Very annoying. Of course, I go full on Kelly Bundy from dark hair, so ... Also, I always miss some gray and it sticks the hell out. Dumb. Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply or anything like that near you? You can probably find a toner to help you get rid of the brassiness, and there's usually at least one employee who can help do that. I usually get the White Out full bleach with toner kits, but I got grocery store shit this time. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a sally beauty, but I don't know what the hell toner is so I don't know if I should go looking for it...

      Delete
    2. Go in, point at your head and say, "I need something to make this stop being brassy." It's usually a blueish or purpley wash that counteracts the red causing brassiness. Apparently brown hair has red undertones that don't always come out with lighteners and blues and purples make it blond. Shampoos for blond hair are usually purple too. Doesn't make a fucking bit of sense to me, but it works.

      Delete
    3. Bahahaha!! Oddly enough my shampoo is orange. I wonder if I'm fucking up my hair with that?!!

      Delete
  3. I've owned Parenthood since I stole it from Blockbuster six years ago. It's so good I got it BEFORE becoming a parent.

    My hair is really brassy right now, too. I just like to pretend it doesn't exist. I'm too cheap/poor to go to a salon so... sucks to be the people staring at my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SUCH an awesome movie!!

      I'm battling my hair right now. It looks like shit when I straighten it too, I need some magic wand to help me with the tousled look or something. *shrug* I just pony tail it mostly.

      Delete
  4. i so totally sympathize with feeling dull. after AGES of being bright red, i thought it might be time for a change and went black cherry (i also never ever ever go to a stylist)...for three weeks i couldn't look in the mirror. DULL. purpley. looked great with my skin tone but i just couldn't hack it. went straight back to my light intense auburn from a box and it feels fantastic. fuck change. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good we tried, but we are more than allowed to admit our mistakes and go the fuck back. :))

      Delete
  5. Love the quote. And the movie. One of my favorites!

    I never color my own hair, because (damn it!) I deserve at least one luxury. I go to the salon every 5-6 weeks- only after re-mortgaging my house- and allow my stylist to pamper me. I recently went lighter with my hair colour- I had been going dark brown, but I felt so pale and washed out. I decided to lighten it up and add highlights, and I honestly think it makes me look a bit younger. And g-d knows, I need that these days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do deserve it! I however deserve california rolls when I go grocery shopping and don't want to come home and cook dinner. Also, kickboxing. So I choose them over hair stuff.

      Delete
  6. So I just looked that up on the Net & found: How to get that brassy look out of your hair color(on YouTube). Go there :o.

    I have a few friends who go from Really Blond to darker because the novelty of the notion(at first)diverts them, but they always go back to whore, I mean TRUE blond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you go blond, you always go back right? :)) It's an addictions maybe.

      I can't wait to see what youtube says about this!

      Delete