Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"He was my son for awhile, but due to my complicated sex life it turns out it's just best to think of him as a tiny associate."


I find it interesting the two jobs I've most enjoyed are ones that I am essentially being paid (very very poorly) to be a stay at home mom.  But just somewhere else.  

10 years at the group home.  School pick ups and drop offs, snack and homework time, constant processing of social norms, doctors and dentist appointments, games, dinner, clean up, showers, story time, tucking into bed, vacuum and clean the house.  Pretty sure that's the definition of stay at home mom.  Except, you know, they weren't my kids and it wasn't my home.  

The second job I enjoy is being a hotel maid.  I know, my ambitions are to the moon right?  Hear me out.  I worked at a hoity toity bed a breakfast, and a hundred and seventy year old "haunted" hotel.  (I never saw shit for ghosts, but I'm not going to crap on other people's beliefs.)   Cleaning bedrooms and bathrooms all day is stay at home mom to a T.  

Here's the thing though.  The group home bit was very very hard.  Emotionally, and when there was a restraint, physically.  But it was active, we were always on the move, and when it was rewarding, it was very very rewarding.  Like tear up and have fuel for another month of getting beat up by small children.  But.  I don't want to do that anymore, it did become too hard.  The hotels however....

I got a job.  My old job actually.  At the haunted hotel.  I'm working Sundays, with the occasional other day thrown in if there's someone to watch G.  I just had my first full weekend working, and I'm exhausted, (there's a shit ton of stairs) but I loved it!  

You get there, and the people stumble out of their rooms, rubbing their eyes, and grabbing coffee and a muffin, shuffle back in.  It's check out time and you enter the rooms, chaos.  Where's the key? Bedding on the floor, towels everywhere, dishes and take out boxes from the night before, toothpaste in the sink.  You strip the beds, get the towels, mountains of laundry form in the maid's room.  Grab crisp white sheets and towels, a bucket of chemicals and gloves, and head back to the rooms.  Clean the bathroom, set out towels, tiny shampoos and soaps, make the bed, tucking the sheets in as tightly as you can, smoothing the duvet until it's just right.  Dusting, cleaning, vacuuming, mopping, wiping down.  

It's busy.  Like BUSY.  You don't have much time to ready the room for the next person.  But you do it.  As fast and as thorough as you can.  I walked through the completely turned hotel on Sunday with the Innkeeper.  All was quiet except the washer and dryer, no one had checked in yet.  There were freshly bleached towels and sheets folded neatly in piles.  The rooms smelling of lemon furniture polish, they are a sight to see.  They have to be, you can't get more low tech and bare bones; there's no TVs, no phones, mostly double beds, some of them have unattached bathrooms!  The floors are so crooked it's like walking on a ship at sea, the boards creak with every step I take.  Not to mention they reside atop a very loud bar.  We provide ear plugs for crap sake!  But it's all calm, peaceful.  The exact opposite of what it had been a few hours earlier.  My back hurts and I'm fairly certain I have shin splints, (lawd I'm old) but these rooms are gorgeous.  

You can't get much more instant gratification out of a job.  You start the project in the morning and you're (hopefully) done by the time you leave.  You've exercised pretty much the whole day.  And it's visually very satisfying.  I don't know how to balance my.....easily satisfied sense of accomplishment with the fact I'm 34 years old and should probably get a real fucking job. You know, one that pays money instead of bread crumbs?  But for right now I'm just going to bask in this, and appreciate that I'm able to ease my way back into the working world after my 4 year absence.

*My quote is from Get Him To the Greek.  I love Russel Brand.  His comedy hour I saw like 4 years ago was hilarious.  I could watch this movie about 100 times.  Warning, there's barf.  It's worth it though and only at the very end.


This is like me and kickboxing.  Like, I don't do a bunch of coke.  But I'm really excited about it and force my loved ones to go with me.  'You know, for our friendship!'

18 comments:

  1. I hope to find something that I enjoy one day that is a good ease back into the workforce - just one/two day a week. I think after being a SAHM mom for X amount of time, it's good way to regain some sanity. Plus probably makes your miss that little kiddo even more, huh? I need that for days Finn throws shit fits because his peaches were on the wrong plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always absolutely loved every moment I spend with G, but seeing her and her dad grow closer because they get 1 on 1 time is making my heart swell.

      Delete
  2. Wow, to each her own I guess. That job sounds HORRIFIC to me. Seriously, cleaning is about the one thing I will not do for extra cash. I can't stand cleaning my own house and I'm sure as shit not going to clean someone else's, let alone a whole hotel! But I'm glad you found something that you like. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so intrigued by this! Is it just the actual act of cleaning you don't like? Or the results? Does how your house looks clean not please you aesthetically? Or is it that things have moved and you're not sure you can find them/they might have been thrown away?

      I love cleaning, however, there is limitations, I cleaned a very dusty house with TONS of knick knacks, I can't hang. Drove me NUTS.

      Delete
  3. I have a 'real' job, and trust me- it's not all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, it pays well, but that's about the only thing I enjoy. The rest is just politics and bullshit. I can totally understand the appeal of your job- I would love a job where my workload was set before me, and I could just go about my business, accomplishing tasks in a way that made sense to me. And I can imagine that you don't take your work home with you- constantly stewing about who said or did what, etc. There's lots of appealing things there, for sure. I'm glad you found something you can enjoy and be proud of, even if it doesn't pay as well as you would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yep, work is left there, no need to bring it home. I appreciate the support. ;))

      Delete
  4. I totally get how satisfying that would be. My job feels neverending because there's always another text to read/prep, another set of essays to grade, another e-mail to return. I take work home almost every night. Granted, a lot of times that "work" is reading a novel that we'll be discussing the next day, but I love the satisfaction that comes with tucking in crisp clean sheets and knowing that your work will be appreciated by someone besides you. Plus it's always more fun to clean someone else's house. Or hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you! I love making a room. Sadly when it's my own, it only stays made for a day, tops. I am somewhat of a slob, and clothes are my life's clutter. But I love to clean/tidy other ppls homes!

    I do plan to return to my old management job. I don't love it. And it doesnt feel like a 'real' job BC it was never what I had planned on or wanted to do w my life. Oh well.

    Doing something other than SAHMing it up really does help sanity levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to get out and talk to other humans! I never had a plan on what to do with my life, and therein lies the problem. Probably I should figure that out.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're doing something you like, even if it doesn't pay well or feel like a "real" job. It gives you satisfaction, and that's a whole lot better than being completely miserable because you have to do something you hate.

    I'm sure this will come as a shock, but add me to the "fuck that shit" list. I hate cleaning. It's totally not worth the back pain for me. I try to find ways to stop hurting, not add to it. It's just going to get dirty again anyway and it's Never. Clean. Enough. There's always some little speck left, some flaw, some stain/chip/scratch that throws the whole thing off. Why be in pain for imperfection? Clearly my issues run deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the more inactive I am, the more I hurt in the long run. Yes, I have muscle soreness now, but after a few times doing this exact thing I won't hurt, and I'll be able to do more! Whereas not doing anything still hurts because I'm just all broken anyway. I'd much rather hurt because I did something.

      As for cleaning, how...depressing to not be able to enjoy your environment!! Have you never been able to sit back with a sigh of satisfaction?!

      That's how I feel about dinner by the way. Totally not worth it. Can't we just eat lunch and breakfast for dinner?

      Delete
  7. This is awesome. I love that you picked up a job and live to tell about it. Please update periodically because I laughed quite a bit.

    I secretly always wondered what it would be like to have that job. You must see some crazy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really! I found a dildo once, but honestly that's about it. I think they threw it away. I was almost like; what if they call about forgetting it...but no, of course they didn't. *shrug*

      Delete
  8. I think if it makes you happy - who cares what the job is!? And there is something satisfying about actually seeing what you've accomplished after a day's work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you would be very good at a job tht involves taking chaos(whether that of the lives of children at a group home or the simple mess that someone has left in a hotel room) and creating perfect order of it.

    With having a child, though, I wouldn't want to tackle the burdens carried around by children much too young to be living the lives they are living. You did it once, did it well, but moved on to creating your own child, who needs all of you, and not what's left after you've dealt with the nightmares of some poor baby who has been through things I would not care to imagine. It's someone else's turn for that now. I just hope they are as loving and caring as you were.

    I know just from few a very short-term cleaning jobs that there is an unparalleled satisfaction that comes with leaving a place spotless and smelling of lavender and furniture polish.

    My mom thinks there should be more GOOD group homes and fewer private foster care. There are some really good foster parents out there, but probably even more poor ones, and it's sometimes very difficult to tell which is which until som child is hurt either physically or emotionally . There's more regulation involved in a group home, and the children, except in the cases of those extremely lucky children who end up in really good foster homes, can feel a little more like the place is theirs, if only temporarily, than they do typically when they're "guests" in someone else's home. It's a tough choice, though, and there are really no solutions; just answers that are a little less wrong than other wrong answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The group home I worked at was a family model, which meant there was a "mom and dad" living there with the kids and it was a very very awesome program being run by amazing people. I am so grateful I worked for them, and because I saw how it should be done. I'm damn near positive I'd never work in the setting anywhere else.

      Thank you for your kind words, you are so right about those babies, it was never the children that got too hard, it was what they came from and where they went after us.

      Delete