Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"It's like loving a god, or a step parent. You never really feel them love you back, but that's ok, they got other stuff going on and you understand."


I took G to the doctor for allergy eyes (The first morning I totally thought it was pink eye for like 20 minutes and I was plotting which one of my breast feeding friends would most likely donate some milk to put in my kid's eye.  I'll go there.) and she was in a crankster mood due to the attention being paid to the part of her body that was inflamed and itchy and hurt! and just wanted to be left the eff alone.  So I broke my cardinal rule of touching the very least possible in the doctor's office and agreed to read the 2 books in the wire rack hanging on the wall.  Both were by Beatrix Potter, one was the tale of the Flopsy Bunnies and the other was an abridged version of Peter Rabbit.  She adored them both and I recalled seeing something Peter Rabbit like on our bookcase at home so I promised her I'd look into it and let her know.  

We'd just recently been burned big time by Beatrix, it seems my Grandmother gave me 2 books in 1986 according to the inscriptions.  The first, The Tale Mrs Tiggy-Winkle I vaguely remembered, but I think it was from when I was nannying kids at my house and I read it to them.  The second, The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is the one G asked me to read and I had no recollection of ever reading.  

It's awful, don't read it.  The duck was looking for a place to sit on her own eggs, apparently the farmer wouldn't let her and kept taking them to have some other bird sit on them.  So the duck meets a "kindly" fox planning to eat them as soon as she lays them.  It was at this point I skipped ahead because I was like what the hell? and I discovered that in an effort to protect the duck the collie sends inexperienced blood hound puppies who eat the fox and then promptly eat the eggs as well.  

For.  Reals.  

"Jemima Puddle-duck was escorted home in tears on account of those eggs.  She laid some more in June, and she was permitted to keep them herself: but only four of them hatched.  Jemima Puddle-duck said that it was because of her nerves; but she had always been a bad sitter."

I look up at G and I'm like, "This story sucks, it has a sad ending, do you want to read something else?"  She looks all solemn and says; "The eggs get eaten?"  I said "Yeah.  But she lays some more and is happy...and stuff."  So G says; "I'm getting a different book."  

So needless to say I was a little gun shy when searching for the Bunny book I remembered on the shelf.  I found it, and sure enough it was a Treasury of Peter Rabbit and other stories.  I opened it up and the spine cracked as though it had never been read.  The inscription was this:

Which leads me to the point of this post, (besides giving a heads up to baby loss mama's about the damn Jemima story.) I was a voracious reader as a child.  I read while walking home from school.  I read during recess and when I was supposed to be asleep, I constantly had my nose in a book, so WHY did I never read these three books?!  They were obviously mine, so available, my entire life, and yet I've never read any of them!  Plus they're all by Beatrix Potter!  They aren't a set, I got them at different times, just all written by her.   What is the deal with that?!

And the weirdest thing of all?  I have apparently been lugging around children's books I've never read for the last 16 years.  What the hell?  That's like 10 different times I've packed, moved and unpacked these books, placing them on the bookshelf, never occurring to me that I've never read them and therefore why bother having them.  

Bizarre in my opinion.  But G is devouring the Peter Rabbit book, through me of course, when she learns to read I'll never hear from her again, and we did like the Mrs Tiggy-winkle as well so I guess it's all working out in the end.  I'm just bewildered.  Also Jemima can suck it for all I care. 

*My quote; I totally forget where I got it from, I feel like it was from a cartoon, probably Roger from American Dad.  It makes me laugh every time I read it.  

17 comments:

  1. This is interesting. Disturbing. And other things.

    You lugged those books around for that long? Amazing.

    That book was written at all? Depressing.

    We have a CD of mixed music in our car and the 5 ducks all run away from their mom, one-by-one. She calls and they don't return. But then, after she has no babies left, they all come back miraculously.

    WHAT is the moral of that one? Geesh. We skip #10 when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang Beatrix writing depressing shit.
      Yeah, I'd skip that too. There's this book I've blocked the name of in the library about a polar bear mom who's cub inexplicably turns into a man and is raised by people and she searches and mourns him for the rest of the book. I was fucking sobbing by the end. Poor G. Luckily I'm fairly certain I hid it well. I need to do some prereading before we just go pick out new books.

      Delete
  2. Am I an evil parent if I admit that my three year-old twins love, love, LOVE American Dad? They ask for it by name and they both can do a pretty shop on Roger impression yelling, "whaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!"

    I guess, compared to the dead baby animal book, American Dad isn't so bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cough*
      G MIGHT love Bob's Burgers. I can't confirm or deny. So yeah. High five for us!!

      Delete
  3. My mother had a fixation with Beatrix Potter (though I suspect she avoided Jemima). She was always trying to shove Beatrix Potter down matthew's throat (she didn't read to me as much), but Matthew would've tolerated the Merck Manual or the Book of Deuteronomy about as well, so she was stuck with his train books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrix is kinda mean to her characters it turns out. Thus far, a Peter's uncle has been boiled in Mr. McGregor's stew, Squirrel Nutkin (who was admittedly a jerk) had his tail broken off when Brown Owl attempted to eat him, and our next story is The Two Bad Mice. I'm concerned.

      Delete
  4. I think I remember reading somewhere that Beatrix had no great love for children. Might explain the tone of some of her books... Although I've also read Dr. Seuss (whatever his real name is) wasn't a child lover either and I don't remember anyone getting eaten in any of those books...so maybe she was just a total b*tch and liked seeing children cry...who knows).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I think you're onto something. I've read that Dr. Seuss liked the idea of children and the concept of childhood, and was particularly intrigued bychildhood literacy;in practicality, he just didn't care to be around children. Hence, he didn't feel the need to torment them in his stories. Ms. Potter, on the other hand,probably was the kind of witch that begins with the letter "B."

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. My cousin used to have nightmares about Mr. McGregor, and he was one of the tamer characters ms. potter created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, he's attempting to eat the main character on the regular.

      Delete
  7. We got Jemima Puddleduck as a shower gift for my second "baby duck" which seemed all cute and totally appropriate. Until you realize Jemima is a dipshit and also an unfit mother. Beatrix Potter is not a touchy-feely as she seems. Even Peter Rabbit ends up with irritable bowels while his sisters get to eat berries with milk. Nature is red in tooth and claw, even in British children's stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WORD. She has it out for those little animals.

      Delete
  8. Beatrix Potter was a brittle old marm.

    Maurice Sendak said he just wrote books and it was everyone else who decided they were for children. Also, he didn't particularly care for kids, either. Hm. Patterns are emerging.

    Hey! Read Mo Willems. He's gentle, funny and readable. The Pigeon shit gets old, but my kids love all the funny voices I have to make. Also, he likes kids AND grown-ups. The Piggie and Gerald books are great, and Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct is flipping adorable. It also made me cry, but it's not sad, I just have issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid advice, and it does seem to be a pattern. Double you tee eff child's book writers?! I'll have to look into your suggestions. And I'm rife with issues as well soooo yeah.

      Delete
    2. Also holy shit I did not recognize you. Hi!!

      Delete