Friday, September 27, 2013

"I'm personally not attracted to you, but that's just because I know you."


I knew in the decision making stage that some people would dislike, or even be offended by the fact I have tattoos on my arms for all to see.  I took that into consideration, and decided to go ahead and do it anyway.  I did not make that choice in order to rebel or in an effort to begin confrontation, but I knew it might be construed as such.  

I have only had 3 somewhat negative responses to my tattoos since getting them in April, and they are all so eerily similar I had to share.  All three were elderly men, who approached me, in my opinion, speaking in a....cantankerous manner.  They said something to the effect of; What's this you have going on here, what are those words?  I'd reply, nicely, It is a poem called i carry your heart by e.e. cummings.  All THREE men backed down.  They gruffly mumbled something like Well then. and wandered away.  

What the fuck?   Here's my questions; is it that it's A poem?  Is is that it's THAT poem?  Why does it matter?  If you were all ready to be annoyed and condescending about words written on my body why does it matter what words are there?  Why do they care if I have a poem or George Carlin's list of forbidden words tattooed on me? They never have to see it again.  How does it being a poem make it less wrong?  I'm so bewildered.  

Otherwise all reactions have been positive, but MY reactions are what surprised me the most.  If I don't know you, or am not feeling particularly...forthcoming I'll tell them the above, and fold my arms.  I'm never rude, I always smile, and I didn't even realize I was doing it for the longest time.  People get the hint, and I've never had anyone pursue it.  If your a friend, or a friend of a friend, or I'm feeling safe and open, or I'm drunk, I offer my arms for people read them.

This is very very strange.  In order for them to see it, they have to enter my personal space, because it's facing me.  I have to open my arms, as if to embrace them, exposing metaphorically and literally, (HA! I'm full of puns!) my soft white underbelly.  They generally reach out to hold my arm still and I allow them to read the words of my heart written on my skin and then answer the questions.  Rarely do I tell of the deep meaning, my beautiful daughter comes up, but the losses, they remain stuck in my throat and in my watery smile when I accept the compliment of how pretty the tattoos are, although they are always on my mind. 

I don't speak about my babies often other than here.  I don't hide from it, I just don't initiate it, so to encourage others to potentially start the conversation that could lead us there, is a big deal for me.  I'm not ashamed of my feelings, my grief and sadness, I don't think they should be hidden, they are just so large still, so overwhelming for me to feel.  I have to let them out when I feel safe enough to do it, and that's a rare moment for me.  

The tattoos aren't only about my babies, they're for G, they're for me, and I still love them so much.  I'm glad I waited to get the third verse until after we've completed our conception journey.  Hopefully we'll be done because we've had the second child we long for, but if that's not the case, it'll give me some closure I'll undoubtedly need, and something to look forward to.  I love getting me some tattoos.

*My quote, shitballs I don't know where I got this one either.  It might be from Girls, I need to start writing this down when I put them into my phone.  Also, I'm running out of quotes, my complete lack of tv/movie watching is putting a hamper on my quote collection skills.  Perhaps I should read a book.  *sigh*  

17 comments:

  1. That is indeed strange that it has been old men who have come up to comment and then back away when you tell them it is a poem. I have no explanation to offer.

    I too have 3 tattoos (frog, sun, moon) and would love more! Hubby on the other hand, dislikes tattoos (esp on me) very much. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really asked my husband what he thought about them, I had quite a few before we got together so I guess I assumed he knew it was part of the deal. :)

      Delete
  2. Cantankerous - great word.

    I don't have any tattoos but my husband got one after his brother was killed. And before that, when we lost Cale, I started to pay more attention to tattoos... Wondering if the butterfly on someone's leg is a symbol of a missed baby. Could just be a drunken college dare, but maybe not. Maybe it's so much more than some ink to that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting to wonder about the story behind it. I was just in a conversation where the woman received one of hers in Costa Rica for a box of Rice O Roni. Which, wow. Didn't really know there was such a demand but ok. It's a conversation starter for sure.

      Delete
  3. I think tattoos are awesome when they are meaningful. Some old men are just nosy and rude.

    I told someone I work with about Eliza yesterday. We each have one living kid so we were talking about people asking us when we're going to have another and how uncertain we are, and I explained to her why I'm not sure. She was great/normal/kind about it, and then she shared that she has lupus which makes pregnancy difficult for her. And then someone else sat down and the subject changed, but I thought a lot about how vulnerable I feel when I expose that truth about myself, how easy it is for someone's inappropriate reaction to really hurt me. And I felt weepy for much of the afternoon. But not entirely in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G outed us the other day (I have brothers. They're dead. They were sick) and I totally panicked and bailed on my 'I'm not bringing it up but I won't avoid it if it comes up' rule in the moment and had to email her afterward with our story. It was such a RELIEF. I don't know what my deal is!! Life is so much less stressful when my crazy is easily explained.

      Delete
    2. Oh, but my point, I was all weepy that afternoon as well, it takes a lot to keep it all in and when you let some out it's generally going to last longer than you thought.

      Delete
  4. I can't think of a better poem to have tattooed on yourself than that one. Old men can just be cranky sometimes. bah.

    I do the same as Caroline, I always wonder if certain tattoos I see people sporting are tribute tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love that poem and think old people need to shut it sometimes.

    Every single time Benjamin is more than 5 feet away from me, I hear it from older people. What a horrible mom I must be to allow my son to be adventurous. I can't even imagine what they would think if I had a tattoo. And allowed him to wander. OH, the HORROR!

    I think it's lovely and I also have looked at tattoos much differently since Andrew died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! My friend's kid is a hot box, always sweating, it was chilly outside and she wasn't wearing a sweatshirt and you'd think she let her kid out naked in the snow!! People are assholes sometimes.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I really love this post. And I really love hearing what your tattoos mean to you and how even sharing them is a really significant, meaningful part of your life. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of my favourite poems, and I think it's wonderful that it is meaningful enough to you to have it tattooed on your body. Who cares what the old farts say? All that matters is your feelings.

    I have two tattoes- both of which mean nothing, and were chosen when I was young and stupid. I would love to get one representing my one living child, and four lost ones, but Hubby would probably shoot me if I got another. He hates them. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so bewildered about hubbies with tattoo dislike! I have a friend who's husband would prefer zero body modifications, even her earrings. Cracks me up.

      Delete
  8. I just typed a reply and then hit "sign out" instead of "publish." I hate when I'm too tired to function but can't sleep.

    They're YOUR arms, for God's sake. What if you had moles on your arms? Would the old geezers want to read THEM?

    Anyway, that's the only decent poem cummings [capital intended] ever wrote. Ever try responding to "anyone lived in a pretty how town" in the essay portion of a final exam without the help of LSD?

    My parents don't want me to get a tattoo yet because they say I still have perfect skin. My dad says if I have a noticeable acne outbreak or another sign that it's just delayed hormones and not for-real perfect skin, he'll pay for my first tattoo. I wouldn't get one yet anyway because I don't trust myself not to choose something that in nine years I'll think is the most idiotic thing ever written or drawn, and wonder why in hell I paid someone to ink it permanently into my skin. Who knows what the future holds, though? I may eventually become a very painted lady without regard to acne.

    My cousin, who did six years in the Navy and is now a firefighter and paramedic, has both arms covered in apparently random designs, though perhaps they mean something to him. To me, it just looks as though he handed a few brightly colored markers to a very young child (or perhaps two children, as the markings on the respective arms look as though they were designed by people from two different planets) and asked the kid(s) to cover as much skin as he and/or she could with ink. They're his arms, though. If he wants them to look like the artistic canvases of a couple of three-year-olds, more power to him. I like diversity, anyway, and we have too little of it in our family. With our bland ethnicity, the only way for us to create diversity is through artificial means, i.e. piercings and tattoos.

    My cousin once went out on a call for an elderly woman who was experiencing breathing difficulty. The weather was hot, and my cousin was in a short-sleeved uniform. As he was taking the woman's vitals, she took off her oxygen mask to ask him what he had all over his arms. "Birthmarks," he answered her as he put the oxygen mask back on her face.

    She removed her oxygen mask to comment, "I ain't never seen no birthmarks like THAT!"

    "My mother drank a lot when she was pregnant with me," my cousin responded as he put her oxygen mask back on her. His answer seemed to satisfy her. She didn't mention the tattoos/birthmarks again.

    Gordon Lightfoot wrote and recorded a beautiful song about tattoos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAfIJ9tldok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't get G's ears pierced as a baby on the off chance she'd want to rebel against her tattooed parents by remaining pristine and unmodified. Only time will tell.
      I seem to go through phases of loving and falling out of love with them. However, I seriously doubt I'll fall out of love with the last one. It's the best one ever.

      Delete