I've collected quotes my whole adult life. I buy 4 packs of tiny books from the dollar store to write down things that catch my interest. From strangers, friends, movies, tv, books, everything. They can be meaningful, but honestly I usually go the funny and offensive route. J has become begrudgingly tolerant to my stopping and rewinding a movie so I can write down what has just been said. I have to get it right then. Words have always affected me deeply. They stay with me. I bring them out like old friends to see how they're doing. If they still make me laugh.
I've always read books, and watched movies and shows repeatedly. I have a friend who never buys dvds because she only watches a movie once. "I've seen it already," she says, "why do I need to watch it again?" Blew my mind. I watch my favorite movies until I have them memorized. I'm laughing before anyone has said anything. My poor sister had to suffer through this while I was a teenager, and memorized movies by default. (She may have liked it too, but I was the evil older sister and never asked.) We were both at our other sister's house and while we were outside, her saving gifuckingnormous bugs from a small wading pool (hippie), and me smoking, both of us sweating our asses off because it was Texas and so effing hot and humid, (our sister had a swamp cooler so in her house was cold and humid which makes me want to die, so I stayed outside as much as I could.) my sister's annoying wild pack of dogs who insisted on jumping and barking and whatever else they could do to make me long for fence came running up. As they came in for the kill I said in an annoyed voice; BZZZZZZZZZZ!!! while waving them away. My sister looked at me with a totally straight face and said; Super Green. And I knew. She was like me.
To outsiders this is sounding more than odd I'm sure. But anyone who has watched 5th Element 700 times knows what we are talking about. So as a game on myspace I would start all my surveys with a quote from a movie we had watched together for her to guess. In the early days I would often end a blog with quotes that she wouldn't know but that had recently caught my attention. Then she got a life or some nonsense and I started doing surveys less, but blogging more, and coming up with a title sucks ass, so I started using quotes for the titles.
The quotes are generally from movies or tv shows these days, but in the beginning there were quite a few from music and books. I can't listen to meaningful music at this point in my life, I haven't read a book in forever and I'm not compelled to post under the heading; Where have you been all my li-i-i-i-i-i-ife? I usually pick something we've watched in the last couple of days. But if there hasn't been anything good I'll pull from my archives, The Simpsons, Absolutely Fabulous, Grandma's Boy and The Big Bang Theory are probably most regularly used. If I'm having....troubles...emotionally I guess, in my life I'll most often go to Stranger Than Fiction or Wit for comfort, so those have shown up here quite often. That Emma Thompson, I don't know what she does to me. There's also times when the topic I'm writing about fits very well with a scene or storyline of a movie or show so because I'm thinking about it I'll go there to look for my title. More often than not it's more random and entertaining, to me at least.
I've thought that maybe I should give credit to those that deserve it on my blog, I'm sure I'm breaking copy write laws because I don't, but I'm assuming Kevin Smith isn't going to find this, so maybe I won't be sued. I don't talk about where they're from because I've always figured the titles are for my amusement only, that no one else particularly noticed them, or was curious about what they meant to me and where they came from. I've had more conversations than I can count where I'm trying to describe a scene from a movie or book and laughing my ass off while the other person looks at me completely uninterested and super bored. So I just figured it'd be that way here too. Maybe I'll start giving credit and a background sentence at the end of the blog though. Just because. We'll see how that works.
My current favorite quote that I can't use for a title because it's too long and involves multiple people is this one;
"You have to be polite to people. Even if you don't like them, you talk to them with respect."
"Why?!"
"It makes them mad. Kill them with kindness."
J and G of course.
Starting today: I have been saving this quote for I don't know how long. It's something that Jay yells to a girl walking outside a convenience store by in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and it makes me laugh so hard every time I watch it. His lack of filter is damn funny.

Heh ... I liked this post a lot until I got to the end and then I loved it. LOVED IT so much that I had to stop reading to write this line. Wait a second ...
ReplyDeleteThat quote, your favourite one about being polite to people. This is how I exact my revenge, and it drives my husband crazy sometimes. So they do something asswipe, or show stupid disrespect. This could be a (now former) friend, or a service person I will never, ever see again. Rather than be an asshole back, I generally will go out of my way (if only in spirit sometimes) to do the exact right and proper thing. They never know that I've exacted revenge, and I'm feel like I'm holding up both middle fingers. Cue sigh from my husband.
Anyway, that quote makes me think of that, except my victims are too stupid to even know what I've done. *I've shown them*.
Okay. Sorry I've been absent of late. I think of you often, but sometimes finding the o2 tank is tricky, know what I mean?
And I'm taking your post as a sign. I have an idea, it involves watching the occasional movie and talking about it, I'll let you know if / when I actually execute the idea. (Lazy and tired now.)
xox
What's super funny to me is that they have no idea I was listening, this was a meaningful teaching moment between the 2 of them and he was dead serious.
DeleteYou do what you need to, come as you can. I would LOVE to talk about movies with you.
Yay! Thank you for writing this post. I don't really understand why you said no one would be I interested in this when I specifically requested this very post so obviously. I AM INTERESTED.
ReplyDeleteI also watch movies and tv shows until they are memorized. I literally own HUNDREDS of DVDs. I could probably do a one man show of Waiting for Guffman. Or the entire first season of Arrester Development. (Illusions, Michael. I do illusions. A trick is something a whore does for money.--BEST LINE EVER). I love that you use quotes as your titles and I absolutely take note of all of them. They are great. Keep 'em coming. ;)
I'm just usually alone with my enthusiasm. :)
DeleteWe should compare DVD selections, we've got tons too. I've never seen Arrested Development but based on the people starring in it I know I would like it. I wonder how many seasons there are... Would my raunchy mind of a 12 year old husband like it?
This is your sister. I developed my love of memorizing movies (laughing before anyone says anything? Totally me, all the way.), and collecting random quotes from you. I used to have a quote book as well. I need to start that up again... Anyway, I love you!! :-D
ReplyDeleteBut was the love already there or was it forced upon you because you had no other option? :))
DeleteIt was already there. You helped it blossom. :-)
DeleteThe way you wrote at first I thought this would be some massive exercise in self-indulgence. Instead it is a great, totally relatable blog post. I like to pick up quotes from local Pillars of Society at charity events. They think I'm not paying attention, but sometimes I am writing the stuff down too. But most of the time I just collapse in hysterics because people are super funny when they are trying to be very Intellectual & Earnest for public consumption.
ReplyDeleteThis FEELS like a self indulgence because I love it so much!
DeleteI've overheard a few such conversations, they make for great quotes.