It starts with the actual new bed, of course. Some get hand me downs or buy used, we didn't know anyone getting rid of theirs so we're looking to buy new. Enter our first conflict; J is a 'I want quality and I'm willing to pay for it because it will last forever as long as you treat it right.' kinda guy. I'm more of a 'Why the hell do I want my furniture to last forever?! I'll get sick of it eventually, and if by treat it right you mean cover it in 3 layers of padding and make sure it is never touched by human hands then that sounds exactly what I want to do! NO, NOT REALLY. We have a 3 year old child I don't want to yell at every five seconds and.....holy shit did you see how much that COSTS?! We are NOT buying that!!' type of girl. I am cheap. I buy cheap, and I don't care. Call me a spoiled american if you want. Sometimes the shit I buy doesn't last very long and I'm sad. Other times, the $15 particle board tv stand lasts 12 years and is a little dented but still holding up the dvd player like a champ and I don't shit myself if someone touches it because who cares? I don't expect to pass this on to my children. So yeah, issues. Also, J is working non stop, so I'm essentially on my own, and don't forget, we live in the middle of nowhere so all shopping is done online. Drunk at 11pm. Because why not?
I finally find the bed I like, that I do hope will last G a few years, but there's no way I'm paying that much for it, and I'm not real comfortable buying "quality" furniture from some faceless voiceless web site because if shit goes awry in shipping or something I want a human to talk to. I find a local furniture store that sells the company I want to buy the bed from and we are in business!! Sweet! The bed, and dresser, because it's a sweet deal, have been purchased! We are home free right?!
Wrong. You have to start completely over! Her blankets and sheets are crib size, and therefore useless on a twin bed. You need all new bedding, blankets, sheets, comforter. Again, some people go used, and again, I don't know anyone getting rid of, or who has an abundance of twin stuff, so new it is. Not so hard though, find some adorable flannel pink snow flake sheets at target on clearance, Uncle M buys her some Minnie sheets for Christmas and we're good. Bedroom done correct?
Oh no. Of course not. Because now you have to buy a mattress. We could certainly go used here right?! Only if you want me bathing my child in bleach every morning. That's gross. Unless you are one of our best friends ever and I have intimate knowledge of your cootie history, this is not going to happen, I would die. New mattresses run from $100 to $5 billion. Seriously. My 30 pound 3 year old isn't broken and old like I am, so just get the cheapest one and call it good right? Except, I have to make things difficult, such is my way. I go to costco to get the $129 twin mattress, and they're out. Bastards. Because we're in the city, we go to a few mattress places and shop around. Bad idea. I'm with my BiL, MiL and G. We go in, lay down on a mattress and the salesmen come meandering up to have a conversation with me while I'm horizontal. Actually with my BiL, because I don't really exist when he's around no matter how many times we tell them he has nothing to do with this decision, he's just trying to take a quick nap whilst I accomplish things. As I lay on the cardboard and spring filled mattress of discomfort talking about money with strangers, my favoritest things to do ever, I am mostly trying to stay present in the conversation as all I can think about is who has laid here before me? Do they have lice? Do they wash regularly? And then the realization, seeing as G has no crib bars to keep her in, how many nights will I be laying next to her in an effort to put her back to sleep because no you can't sleep with mommy and daddy. I look at the price of the mattress of discomfort, and it's $250. What the fuck?! That's what I wanted to top out at! Not start! I move down the line and the first mattress that won't kill me is $750. Without box springs. This is ridiculous. I call J and he says what's the warranty? I tell him and he's not impressed. I do NOT want to spend $750 on a damn mattress so I'm relieved. Then I remember I can get a memory foam one online with a 20 warranty for that much. I walk out with apologies but confident. Unfortunately we rode around in the very uncomfortable back seat of the truck all day for nothing. Good thing I got In N Out. On wednesday G and I tour the local furniture stores. She is so well behaved, but refuses to lay on any of the mattresses, instead she eyeballs the "climbing bed" while I warn her from my prone position. These mattresses do start at $100, and I am relieved. Apparently it costs more to sleep in the city.
We find one that I can handle laying on, and that costs $250, no tax if I go pick it up in the truck myself. Works perfect for me. It is such a relief all this is over and behind us.
Now, all I have to do is disassemble G's crib, move everything out of G's room, to vacuum and dust, assemble her bed and dresser, move everything else back in and organize it beautifully. With a 3 year old helping. And then convince her to sleep in it every night. Should be a breeze.
*My quote is from Zack and Miri Make a Po.rno which is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is chalk full of hilarious one liners and rants, not to mention Justin Long, for the whole 5 minutes he's in there is FULL of awesome. Oh my god I laugh out loud just thinking of it. There was like 700 other quotes I wanted to use as my title but they are all SO inappropriate I held back. I might not next time. They could be worth it.

Mattress shopping is possibly even less fun than car shopping.
ReplyDeleteNo. Joke. It was awful.
DeleteUgh. This stresses me out already and I'm secretly hoping that my almost 19 month old can sleep in his crib until he leaves for college.
ReplyDeleteI have been really lucky that G is a total non climber. She's 3 and a half and hasn't tried to escape once. I could actually just keep using the crib but she's getting pretty long for it. And wants stuffed animals in there and stuff which means even less room, so, may as well.
DeleteOH crapness.
ReplyDeleteI cannot handle this drama. My son will be getting my old full bed. I will barricade him in. Anything so I don't have to go through what you wrote above. My word.
It was way more complicated than I expected. And we haven't even addressed the 'my baby is growing up!' mental issues over it all.
DeleteHmmm. I am realizing yet another advantage to having had stepchildren and thus, twin beds and lots and lots and lots of twin sheets in questionable condition (i.e. perfect for a preschooler!). Also to having kept DS in a crib until he was ... 3.5, I think?
ReplyDelete(OTOH I later accepted the offer of a hand-me-down bunk bed for DS to his delight and *told* him I had, meaning when I got the bed to our house and suspected it probably isn't up to contemporary safety standards I felt kind of stuck. We do use it, and for now he's on the bottom bunk. Er, just in case a similar opportunity ever presents itself to you: beware!)
Good luck ;)!
Holy crap, I'm totally good going the new bed route, but thanks for the warning.
DeleteDude, we are so in synch it's ridic. We did the switcheroo three nights ago. Although we had a convertible bed so totes easy and no new cost. Until we have to switch it to a twin. Oy.
ReplyDeleteThe first two nights were bullshit until i locked him in the room. Tonight he was asleep in 30 with only one knock on the door.
Good luck!
My sister and friend have both done the childproof doorknob deal with very differing degrees of success. This should be....interesting.
DeleteA used mattress is about as appealing to me as a used condom. I am making piteious noises for you(while I am congradulating myself on not having little ones, except of the feline variety).
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you found a bed (and bedding and mattress) that you like and didn't cost a fortune. I hope the rest of the transition goes well.
ReplyDeletei have a Westin mattress now, but I slept on a cheap one until I was almost 17, and it didn't hurt me one bit. A lightweight child could sleep comfortable on a padded air-hockey table. Her sheets sound very cute.
ReplyDeleteI'm now taking the twin plunge for my almost-5 boy. Hash tag suck.
ReplyDeleteI plan to throw his sister in with him when she's old enough to fight him off (he's a dangerously cuddly sleeper). Hopefully they can co-sleep until he hits puberty. *crosses fingers*
My almost-three-year-old is still in her crib and shows no interest in leaving it. I'm going to see how long I can ride this out...
ReplyDeleteI stayed in my crib until I finished first grade, I think. It worked.
ReplyDelete