Where I am now; 1 year and 5 months from my 1st loss, almost 1 year from my 2nd loss, and almost 6 months from my 3rd.
Still Life With Circles has a project called Right Where I Am. I can't link so I'm copying and pasting, you should go have a look.
http://stilllifewithcircles.blogspot.com/
I didn’t participate in this last year, although I did read a lot of other contributions. I wish I had because it’s so hard for me to differentiate how I was then from now. It’s been 18 months of losses one right after another.
Right now, I’m sad, very often. I’m in the beginning stages of it lifting, something for which I’m very grateful, but my babies not being here is still very much felt by me, at all times. The words “I miss my babies.” float through my brain more times a day then I can count, as if from a foreign source. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing or thinking about, they just drift on through, always taking center stage. I see their ghosts in the toys G is too old to play with, but are still out, the changing table I’m going to have to put away.
I’m beginning to lose hope. I’ve always had it, a frantic, refusal to imagine my world any way other then how I thought it would be kind of hope, but it’s been there none the less. The idea that I may have to accept my life as it is instead of how I pictured it has been resolutely ignored in an attempt to stop the debilitating panic that immediately blooms in my chest whenever it is brought up. But it’s been sneaking in, chipping away at my defenses.
I am thankful for the life I have. I never take it, and those that are with me for granted. For that I give a nod of thanks to the babies I’ve lost. I consciously appreciate much more than I did before. I notice every change I see daily, acknowledge the beauty that is my daughter and husband. I revel in each minute spent with them. But I also mourn the fact that this version of me is the one that does that. I am broken, anxious, over sensitive and stressed out. I feel like a wound not yet scabbed over, flinching when something comes close to brushing me. I long for this period of my life to be over, this in between time that seems to be stuck on repeat; try to get pregnant, get pregnant, lose another piece of my soul, begin again. I feel like I’m perpetually waiting for my “real” life to begin, it can’t possibly be this version. At some point I will either have a live baby to bring home, or I will make the effort to never be pregnant again.
Today the sun is out, and we have a birthday party to attend. Right now, my smile slower to come than it once was, but it’s there. That’s all I can ask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I feel like I’m perpetually waiting for my “real” life to begin, it can’t possibly be this version.
ReplyDeleteomg. That's so right on. I'm with you on that one. No really... it's a joke. My life is the one others seem to have and I don't. Let me have it.
Bah.
I'd love to have it as well.
DeleteMy mother lost 2 children in the 1950s & just when she thought it was impossible(& was told that) for her to have a healthy baby...she had me..she was 41.
ReplyDeleteCertain inner needs that clamor to be met will be & some will not, but G will always ensure the possibility of joy(maybe not at this exact moment, but..)
We see thru the lens of our life-history & our passions...& that landscape changes over time...I hope yours changes to fit your realized dream. ~Mary
This made me cry. I really needed this.
DeleteThat is fitting, Amelia...since I cried while reading the entry ... for my mom, for you, for everyone who has that extra love to give...~Mary
DeleteThank you so much.
DeleteOh, lady. I want so much for your life to be the one you pictured--or at least a version of it that makes you feel full and happy. I hope a year from now your update is very different.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you find yourself here, mired in loss and sadness. It's a shit place to be. No one should have to ensure it. No one. I'm so sorry you are.
ReplyDeleteMy mom lost a daughter in the NICU. She lived there for two months but it was never expected she'd leave. Then she lost three sons, all late miscarriages or still births. She was going to get her tues tied, she couldn't survive another loss. And then she found out she was pregnant, with my sister, who's just turned 25. It wasn't the story she wanted for herself but she ended up finding happiness in the life she found herself in.
I'm not trying to compare your stories, just to give you hope that happiness might be around the corner, even when it seems impossibly far away.
Abiding with you.
Oh, how I feel every word you've said. I, too, have lost three babies in 7 months, each loss getting worse and harder to bear than the last. I felt like I was reading my own thoughts and story. ((Hugs)) I wish you happiness and that we both will soon have sweet rainbows in our arms.
ReplyDeleteKatie
I wish you happiness as well!
DeleteI hear ya momma! I have been trying to "accept" this life that seems to have been shoved in my face than one I delicately picked from a garden. I feel stuck as well, like a rat on a wheel of preoccupations, never getting to the point of where I feel I belong. One day at a time. that is all i can ask. That is helping me appreciate the little moments more. Instead of days, i can see moments. We have also been struggling with having a rainbow or not. Im not sure if i even can. my husband doesnt even want to "try" just in case. Im scared out of my mind and longing at the same time. Im sending prayers to you. And cheers with my glass of whisky to your vodka ;) Keep that smile on even when the heart and soul are crying. (((((hugs))))
ReplyDeleteThank you, and cheers right back at you!
DeleteI hope your smile comes a little quicker every day.
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you! And it does, it's slow going, but I see the difference. :)
DeleteThis is so honest and beautiful, thank you. I felt and feel broken too. Somedays more than others. I related to so much of what you said, maybe because my grief just had a top-off, but when you were talking about losing hope, I nodded along. My eyes teared up. Yes. Thank you for sharing this. This year's RWIA has been incredibly rich for me.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for providing this platform!
DeleteI really relate to this. I, too, have had three losses in fairly quick succession (miscarriage at 11 weeks in Jan 2010, at 7 weeks in June 2010, and then my second daughter, A, was stillborn on Jan 29.) I, too, see the ghost of A in my older daughter's old toys and clothes that I feel I should get rid of but haven't been able to. And I, too, long for this part of my life, the 'trying to complete my family' part, to be over - whether that is by finally having a baby that lives or by deciding that I just can't do it and that's ok. Thank you for sharing where you are. I'm glad you're finding your smile again and hope the next year finds you smiling even more.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I hope you find your smile as well.
DeleteThe words “I miss my babies.” float through my brain more times a day then I can count, as if from a foreign source.
ReplyDeleteThis happens to me too, although less frequently now. Those words just spring into my mind as though some other source put them there.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your three little ones. So unbearable to suffer three losses in such a short time frame. And I am so sorry that you are starting to lose hope. It's so hard to let go of a life that we want so very much.
I also wish that my living children could be raised by a 'better' version of me, one that wasn't so overly sensitive and like a wound that hasn't quite scabbed over yet. But, as you write, I don't think I would be able to appreciate or acknowledge quite so well if it wasn't for the losses that I've had.
I'm so glad that you still have your smile, even if it is slower to come than it once was. And, like March is for daffodils, I hope that the coming years will find you smiling more and more
And Mary, that is such an amazing comment. Thank you xo
Thank you do much!
Delete"I feel like I’m perpetually waiting for my “real” life to begin, it can’t possibly be this version." - that's so exactly it.. How can this be real life? It wasn't what we planned and prepared for.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and your four babies. I hope so much that you are given a fifth one that comes home.
Thank you, this means a lot to me.
DeleteYou've experienced so much loss in such a short time, my heart just aches for you. I know all too well how waiting for that real life to begin feels. Thinking of you and your babies.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteHope is a motherfucker, I'm trying my best to lose my own.
ReplyDeleteI wish every little good thing for you and know that you deserve to have it all.
It really is, and thanks, you're awesome. :)
DeleteSo much loss, so little time. My heart is broken for you. I don't blame you for losing hope. It can certainly be hard to hold on to when things get so tough.
ReplyDeleteI'm sending you all my love. Glad you took part.
xo
Thank you.
DeleteThat is just so very much to cope with and so unfair to have to. I know what you mean about waiting for life to start 'properly' as it were. I am so sorry you are sad and I will just hope that something kind will happen. Much love.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
DeleteOh Amelia I know how you are feeling. I have had 4 positive pregnancy tests over the last year, 3 very early losses came as my period and then Ellie Rose died at 11 weeks. I told the midwife we were taking her home for cremation, partly in memory of the other babies who never even got that far. I am terrified to go down the what if it never happens route, but I do understand what you are saying about hope. The bottom line is, its just so shit.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you, most sincerely
Valerie
xxx
It is absolutely shit, I hope we both get what we're hoping for.
DeleteI'm so sorry you've suffered so many losses. We lost a daughter and I can't imagine carrying more grief than what I already carry. I totally agree with you though, that I look at life so much differently and am thankful for the little things so much more than before.
ReplyDeleteSending many hugs.
Thank you so much,
DeleteI am so sorry for your immense losses. You write beautifully and remind me to never take anything for granted!! Hugs sent your way. Praying for sunshine to come your way!
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
DeleteBeautiful contribution here and I'm so sorry for your losses.
ReplyDelete"I feel like a wound not yet scabbed over, flinching when something comes close to brushing me."
I felt like that for much of the last fourteen months. Thanks for articulating this so beautifully.
Thank you for reading.
Deletei am so very sorry for you losses. i totally get what you are saying about your life sort of on hold...I feel the same. I pray for peace and healing for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteOh Sweetie. BIG hugs. I am so sorry that you are not living the life you deserve yet. I wish I could make it all better. And I wish you and everyone else who has had to deal with these losses, never had to experience this pain. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers, that someday soon you have that healthy baby to bring home.
ReplyDeleteI wish that for all of us as well. Thank you!
DeleteThinking of you and know how your feel... this is a hard road and know what you mean when you say "Right now, my smile slower to come than it once was, but it’s there"... we'll make it and our precious children will always be in our hearts. You wrote such a beautiful post.. and thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Here for you and always with you on this journey xoxo
ReplyDeleteThey will absolutely always be in my heart. Thank you.
DeleteAmelia, I can't say that I know how you feel, but I can feel your pain and heartache through your words. I can't imagine going through what you have. Your experience has certainly helped me put my own into perspective.
ReplyDeleteI, too, struggle to accept my life as it is. My life hasn't turned out the way I imagined it would. Like you, I am a mom to an amazing little girl. In my imagined life, she has a sibling. I mourn for the second baby that I've never been able to conceive, but then I remember you and your losses and I realize that I have been spared incredible anguish.
I get closer and closer everyday to accepting and loving my life as it is. Some days, I actually feel like my little family is complete. Two quotations my mom shared with me have helped me along the way, "So much has been given to me; I have no time to ponder over that which has been denied." (Helen Kellar) and, "Fulfilled life is possible in spite of unfulfilled wishes." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
Amelia, I hope that what you wish for comes true and I hope your happy moments soon outnumber your sad ones.
Thank you for those quotes, and the support.
DeleteI too have had three losses. All my pregnancies contained loss - even my third. I brought home my rainbow baby who is 5 weeks old but his twin passed away around 14 weeks into the pregnancy. All 3 or my losses happened within 20 months so I understand the feeling of constant trying and failing...I am so sorry you are going through that. I hope that your journey is soon filled with far more smiles then tears ... thank you for sharing. Feel free to stop over and read my entry <3
ReplyDeleteSo glad you have your rainbow baby, sending love to him and the little ones you lost. Thank you.
DeleteThis post really brought me back to where I was around 2 years out from R's death and just over a year from my subsequent miscarriage. That balance of wanting what you have and what you don't have is tough and draining. Even though I know that you're struggling with this, such a feeling of light and steadiness comes through in your writing. Best to you.
ReplyDeleteOh, Amelia. I hate that you've had to deal with all of these losses - it seems to much for a lifetime, never mind 18 months. What you write about accepting life as it is really hit home for me, too. I am hoping hard that this in between time ends as happily as possible for you. Much love.
ReplyDeleteIt always seems so very wrong and unfair for any parent to be without one of their children, never mind more than one.
ReplyDeleteI never know whether to claim three losses. We had a 6 week miscarriage in 2007, our daughter was stillborn in 08 and we had a very, very early loss that hurt more because it happened on her 6 month day than as a loss in itself and I recognise well feeling stuck on repeat. Of wondering whether your sanity will allow you another throw of the dice.
I wish wonderful things for your future.
Oh Amelia, I know the hurt and the empty hollow feeling that echos within. Sending you every wish on every shining star and much love XxX
ReplyDelete