Welcome to the second installment of The Two Songs That…
Today we’ll be listening to the two songs about god stuff I’ll not only willingly listen to, but would actually seek out.
Christianity makes me uncomfortable. Like when my family members besides my sister, daughter and husband want to show affection, discuss feelings, or show emotion. My chest tightens and my eyes feel puffy. Stop touching me. No I don’t want to talk about that because we will never Really Talk About It. But that’s for a whole different post.
I don’t have a problem other people’s beliefs, just don’t get them on me you know? I have too many experiences with hypocritical judgment in the name of religion, to want to be a part of one. So by all means, do what your heart says, believe what you can, I don’t wish the idea of floating through the atmosphere all by our lonesomes on anyone, but leave me out of it Mkay?
The first song on the list is Flood, by Jars of Clay. I remember when I first heard this song I was mesmerized, it was so awesome. My friend and I went to Target to look for it, and after searching all over could not find it anywhere. We’re discussing it in the middle of the isle and a kid who worked there, maybe in his 20s overhears us and after giving us the ‘you guys are so lame’ look points us to the Christian section where we amble over in disbelief. Surly this song would not betray our 7 size too large boy clothing wearing, more make up than I can conceive of owning right now amply discerning taste selves by being…..religious?! But alas it was. And it was about Noah’s Ark no less. We stood in the isle and stared for who knows how long, rocked to our core. I can’t even remember if she bought it, I didn’t, that’s for sure. None the less, I like this song, enough that I’ll share it with you.
The next song is Jesus Walks, by Kanye West. He’s going to be on here again so watch out. He might be crazy, he might be conniving, he might be what all his critics say he is, but no matter what is said boy can make music. Ho-ly SHIT he can make music I want to DANCE to, so I have to listen, I have to wiggle, and if every once in awhile the word Jesus slips through these lips without the word “fuck” included, it would only be because I’m singing this song. My favorite line? ‘’Next time I’m in the club everyone screaming out (Jesus walks)”. Be up front about your manipulations! Hells to the yes, save all us sinners Kanye!! What can I say? I’m amused. Also, while finding this song I saw he has a video out with a bunch of ballerinas in it so that’s where I’m headed next, rap AND ballet? HEAVEN.
No matter their messages, I think they’re good songs. ;) Stayed tuned for next time, I haven’t decided what the theme is, but I have a lot of ideas, drunken karaoke songs, songs to run to, ballet songs, dance anywhere songs, wedding songs, songs I’ll still have memorized even when I’m 95 with dementia, the list is endless. :)
P.S. I just had an ephinany that there is a direct correlation between my depression level and my ability to figure out what to cook for dinner. Weird how stuff manifests.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ballerina Kanye song is W E I R D.
ReplyDeleteI'll agree with Flood, but I only could tolerate :47 of Kanye. I have issues with rappers and their obligatory fucking God song. DMX and 50 Cent are all about killing and fucking the hos for 12 out of 13 songs, *then* oh, THEN they turn so fucking religious they have to belt out a whole fucking song about Jesus?!?! Are you kidding me??!!??!! You're not fooling me, bitches, and I highly doubt you'll be fooling your Jesus with that shit. Side note: Ja Rule is/was a Jehovah's Witness.
ReplyDeleteHahaha!!! Like I said, hypocritically I suppose, this one time it's the song and not the message. ;)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I love the rap song about God! I love the scene in the Godfather when Michael is in church and all the targets are engaged. Being a human is complicated!
ReplyDeleteI really miss mass! I think what Jesus is doing up on the cross is suffering and we can all relate, and we all suspect there is another way to end that suffering.
But belief? Perception is deception, believe nothing! Just do it...
I'm all about Jars of Clay. They're one of those cross-over bands that are amazing. There's some other straight up Christian stuff on my ipod, but if it's religious, most of it is cross-over (Christian turned pop). Especially after reading Megan's reply I didn't even try Kanye. ;) He's never been one of my favorites, and the only christian rap I ever liked was DC Talk.
ReplyDeleteI am not a Christian and when you said your next two songs would be related to religion, I couldn't come up with a single idea for two of my own. Does Baby, Baby by Amy Grant count? I didn't think so.
ReplyDeleteJesus Walks is mad perfect. I loves that song and never would have thought of it. Can't wait to hear moar songs, yo.
The fears in religion clip so many wings. ...but that was kinda cool.~Mary
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard either of these songs - and I must admit I got a little itchy when you said it was christianity related - but then, Kanye. Oh Kanye. Rock on I say.
ReplyDeleteI just saw Kanye a few months ago and he was AMAZING! He had these crazy contemporary dancers and put on an epic show. Honestly one of the best shows I have ever seen :) I'll take you one day when I come back to the country.
ReplyDelete