I had a really hard time last week. I had been doing all right, but Little M’s due date hit me much harder than I suspected it would. I felt like I was drowning in it all for a few days, but I’m hoping I’m coming up for air now. I still have my stupid birthday to get through, so hopefully it doesn’t have the same affect.
I had my doctor appointment yesterday. I did not cry, which I am very proud of. I got choked up a few times, but drank some water and shoved it all back down, and I had a mini panic attack in the waiting room when I heard the doctor talking to someone else. My appointment was with the PA or something, not the main doctor, I can’t explain it but even just his voice is the biggest trigger for my anxiety about that office. Oh duh, he always delivers the bad news. So there we go. The PA said it sounds like my hormones haven’t leveled out yet, way to be fucking slackers asshole hormones, and that my lining isn’t building up because of it. She sent me for some blood tests to make sure everything is going as it should be, with the words pituitary gland and thyroid thrown in there somewhere. She wasn’t very concerned at all. “It can take 4 to 6 months to return to normal after pregnancy.” Pardon me while I throw up. No prescriptions, no lists for vitamins. Damn it.
I’m constantly in the waiting room of my life.
I had 2 little girls over this weekend, ages 9 and 13. (I guess they’re not so little anymore.) I helped raise these girls from the days they were born until I moved back to my current home. So for about 9 years total. Although I haven’t been around as much these past 4 years, we’ve still remained close, which makes me very happy. They were a lovely distraction, and just what I needed to get over that first whirlpool of despair I was stuck in. It was exhausting, but through no fault of theirs’ really. It turns out that a little known side effect of my husband’s I’m Right Syndrome is Must Be The Most Obnoxious Person In the Room Disorder. One of the little girls, who is diagnosed with Aspergers, has some interesting quirks that can be hard for some to take for long periods of time. Having worked in the group home for so long I was fine, but J took it as a personal challenge, and played Master Antagonist the whole weekend. I about killed him. I’m generally of the vein; united forces in front of the children, discuss it later if needed, but by the end of it I was just telling him to stop talking. Then when we dropped them off I yelled at him. We will be having a sit down discussion of what is expected of my ADULT husband the next time we have children over. Ass. Despite that, hearing G ask “You want to come play with me?” knowing there’d be an answer of “Yes!” was bittersweet, but wonderful..
We received a king size bed from a friend for the spare room. When J was discussing it I panicked, and gave fantastic excuses as to why we shouldn’t get it; “It’s too hard to take it up the stairs! That room is too small!” He looked at me like I was nuts. (I am.) Turning that room into something even remotely permanent is like torture to me. The queen size blow up bed was bad enough. But, they were throwing it out, so should the need ever arise, it’s not much of a loss to get rid of it. My sister, her husband and my niece are coming to spend a few days, (!!!YAY!!!) so it couldn’t have happened at a better time, but it’s not like I’m calm and rational about that room (or anything really) so I go in and give the bed dirty looks here and there. And then contemplate dusting the fan. And mentally picture where the crib and rocking chair would look best. *sigh*
Potty training is at epic FAIL levels. Will try again next week.
I’m anxious, hopeful, desperate and sad.
But I’m doing better than I was last week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Frick. This is terrible and I'm just plain sorry. I'd totally curse that stupid mattress meant to be a crib, too. I did that for most things over the past year. I cursed my ability to drink, go out leisurely, etc. It's so completely crappy. :/
ReplyDeleteFucking asshole hormones. Fucking asshole mattress. Just know that as easily as it goes up, it can also come back down. I'll come ready for heavy lifting and ready to start a lovely bonfire with that sucker when the time comes.
ReplyDeleteACK! ASSHOLE HORMONES! I know another BLM who was told she had Graves Disease!!! but her hormone levels were just off and her period hadn't returned yet...she went to acupuncture and the lady gave her some herbs or poked her or something and her period returned 4 days later...guess what? she doesn't have freak'n Graves disease..so anyway...I know your hormones are wonky (total medical term) but maybe they need a swift kick in the ARS!
ReplyDeleteSorry the King size bed invaded your space. Just remember...it can move out again too :)
Sending love.
I'm glad you made it through without crying. I wish there was at least another doctor in the practice so you could avoid the bad news guy forever.
ReplyDeleteHe seriously antagonized a kid with asperger's? Was he trying to be funny or just being a slightly mean ass because he could?? Telling an adult he needs to act like one sucks.
If potty training is sucking, and you hate the bed, the logical conclusion would be to let G sit on the bed all the time when she's wearing big girl pants. ;)
I can't find the comment button so I'm attaching my comment to the reply here.
DeleteI am sorry you are hurting like this. I hear the strength and spirit and love in your voice even as I hear the weariness and sadness. That kind of sadness is so deep, so, so deep. The loss of a baby combined with fucking hormones is an unfairly horrible combination.
I know quite a bit about leveling hormones with nutrition. If you have any questions I'd be happy to share
beezus74@hotmail.com
xo
Megan, he was antagonizing ME not her, but like in reaction to her. I don't know, it was weird.
DeleteThat is a fantastic idea, she loves playing in that room and everything!!
Ugh. The king size bed is rough. Weirdly (at least, it seems weird to me now), I desperately wanted every reminder of a nursery OUT of our guest room and the regular queen bed went back in there almost immediately. Like if I pretend I don't want a baby in that room, then magically I will end up with a baby? Rationality--not a BLM strongpoint.
ReplyDeletePlenty of people with less heartache to deal with are anxious & depressed. You still have your cynical turn of wit ;O. The ritual of sorrow needs it space, but you are doing pretty well..~Mary
ReplyDeleteAny chance you can switch doctors?
ReplyDeleteHaving that level of stress at the doc's alone is likely taxing you unneccessarily, you know?
I wish I could say something meaningful and helpful, but I have no words, other than to hang in there and keep up your wicked sense of humour (wicked as in how the kids' say "great" these days, not the witch-of-the-west kind of wicked).
I was all over the show with dodgy hormones in the run up to Leo's birthday recently. It all got too much and became too painful and too sad. Euuuuuuuuuuuuugh, that waiting room of life is torture but writing about it makes a difference and you're brilliant at that. Sending love and I from a recent post I believe you've advanced from potty to toilet now ;) XxX
ReplyDelete