In this edition of The Two Songs That… there will actually be three. You’re welcome.
Back when I first started at the group home Britney S. and Christina A. were all the rage. The girls all wanted to listen to them over and over again.
I hated those bitches.
It was not because I wore boy’s clothes and only listened to metal. My problem was simple, they were selling sex and marketing it as virgin. I have NO PROBLEM with sex selling music, movies, whatever, when they are selling it to over the age of 18 ME. When the market it is geared towards is the 6 to 13 year old sexualized girls that I spent 40 hours a week trying desperately to convince they did NOT need to act/dress/do those things to get through life I wanted to punch people. I could not stand their ‘hit me baby’ ‘rub me the right way baby’ Barbie doll selling selves.
Later on, when they decided to be honest, made songs that were sexual, and didn’t hide behind pig tails and lollipops, I was like ‘oh snap, I wanna shake my ass to this song’ and we were good.
First up, Christina’s Dirrty. What up with Redman trying to give Xtina street cred. It worked I guess. Upon further inspection she reminds me of Captain Jack Sparrow, I think she may have done this look first though.
Next, Britney’s Slave For You. I like all the half naked sweatiness of it. It makes me want to go do sit ups or something.
What is the 3rd you ask? Justin Timberlake. At the same time as the virgin battles there was boy bands battling it out in the living room as well. Some were all for N’Sync, some the Backstreet Boys. I was absolutely indifferent, at least they weren't telling small children inappropriate things, that I knew of, recall my indifference towards them. But after Justin went out on his own and made Cry Me a River? My attention was held. He’s hot, and I dig this video.
It doesn’t take much to please me, all I ask is if you’re gonna sell me sex, OWN IT. And maybe be over 18 when you do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I never looked at them that way... selling sex as virgin is so spot on.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure NONE of that influenced Britney's 15 year old sister to reproduce AT ALL.
I laughed at JT when he went out on his own. I thought he was trying to be like Michael Jackson way too hard.
Who is both laughing now AND finished bringing sexy back? It ain't me...
Oohhh, I loved bringing sexy back too. At first I thought the same thing with his bleached curls. Then he lopped those off and started boogying and I was hooked.
ReplyDeleteJT is hawwwwwt. So were the other two. What's interesting now, though, is Justin is uber successful, and Brittney has faded off into the woodwork. Christina has gained weight, grown up and it looks like she's a little more "normal".
ReplyDeleteI have to agree, all these songs are just too catchy to not like them. I want to not like them, but I can't!
ReplyDelete