Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Apology accepted. But only because you stammered."

I’m freezing my ass off. All day, into the night, until about 4 am when I wake up covered in sweat. I get creeped out, (I rarely sweat) cool off, go back to sleep and wake up only to get out of bed to freeze again. My house is 75 degrees you guys. I’m wearing long sleeves and (the rattiest least attractive go buy some new effin clothes) sweatpants and I shiver my way through the day. I was at the really cute portion of the pregnancy. My ass hadn’t ballooned out of control, rivaling my stomach in it's girth, and you could tell I was pregnant as opposed to wow, lay off the cookies and do some sit ups. I put on my jeans today, and they buttoned right up. A little tight, but no big deal at all. You can’t even tell anymore. I’m not at my pre baby weight, but you can’t tell that last week I was 23 weeks pregnant. It went that fast. Of course I cried. It’s what I do right now, damn it. G keeps waking up hella early from her naps this week to poop it turns out. I’m scared about what this means. I’ve been ignoring her until the normal wake up time because each day I think; no way, it can’t be that again. I had to go grocery shopping again. I was going to leave G home with her dad because hello, shopping is super boring for a 2 year old so they do their best to liven things up, which doesn’t always work out in the shopper’s favor. But then I remembered I lost my shit last time, and I realized being alone is not the best plan for me right now. So poor G had to come with me to keep mommy sane. Acting anyway. On the way there we discussed how she could not ride in the truck cart because she acts like a crazy person, grabbing things off the shelf and dive bombing her way out of the sides. She seemed agreeable until we arrived and she saw the truck cart. Now don’t get me wrong, we have 2 year old fits pretty regularly, but when I told her she couldn’t ride in it she Lost. Her. Mind. Screaming at the top of her lungs, hitting, kicking, it was quite a display. Luckily I worked at a group home for 10 years so a child screaming without actually being able to do any physical damage to the place or me didn’t really stress me out. I took her out of eyesight of the offending truck, and whispered to her until she calmed down. It took a bit, but it finally worked. I was pretty proud of us both, she went on to behave very well, I didn’t give in or bribe her with my phone, which I’m not against in emergencies. Go us. My face is full of zits so big they’re like the hunchback of Notre Dame. It is out of control. They aren’t even the ones you can mess with, they’re under like 10 layers of skin just sitting there, growing a heart beat they hurt so much. Wow. I have received the phone number and name of the person I should call to see a therapist. I’m grateful for the help in getting it, now it’s up to me. Hopefully I can pick up the phone soon. We go to pick up our son today. Well, not him. His ashes. It’s cold, wet and dreary outside, fitting background for this. We have this memory box on our dresser from the hospital that I look over at to reassure myself this is not some nightmare. Sometimes it just seems like it’s too much, there’s no way this could be my reality. But it’s there, and I can touch it, so it’s real. I don’t know how I’m going to feel about bringing home his ashes. I guess we’ll find out. I’m going to have to figure out conversations to have with G. I don’t want this to be a forbidden subject, it’s very much affecting me, and my life, so hers as well. I try not to cry too much in front of her, it does happen though. I tell her mommy is sad. I just don’t know what to say. What’s too much information, what’s not enough? As I’ve said before, real life discussions about feelings are very hard for me. Hmm, maybe I should just give her my blog address. As soon as she learns to read of course.

4 comments:

  1. It's utter insanity that last week you were pregnant-- like over halfway and nearing that 3rd trimester pregnant. It's terrible and awful that you still aren't when all you wanted was to carry a healthy child to come home to live with you.

    It's terrible that you resume normal life as though nothing happened-- or at least that's how life carries on. You're still required to shower, eat, sleep, pay bills, etc. But now, you fit into those jeans and the average mother who just gave birth would be thrilled. Can button those jeans? Wow. Hooray. Meh.

    I'm sorry. I understand the gloom of picking up your son's ashes and how you feel uncomfortable about them. We literally drove home from the hospital, threw all the baby shit into the nursery, practically sealed the doors with duct tape and clamps and received a call that we needed to go pick up our son for the only time in our lives. In an urn. But not entirely in the urn as he didn't fit. Brutal and almost disgusting if you ask me. How is it acceptable to "dismember" someone... and that someone being my own son. We were uncomfortable about ashes at first, but now we consider him a piece of our home. A staple that isn't drawn attention to but will sit in our living room on the bookshelf for as long as I breathe.

    I hope you find peace in that as well. It's the most uncomfortable feeling, I have to say. It's almost still gross in my head if I will admit that. But you know what, so is the thought of my son dying in my womb and holding his still body for the first and only time.

    Sorry. I find your words therapy to me as well. I'm so completely devastated that I've had to watch this same nightmare actually unfold with you. Usually I just read the aftermath of people like us. Poor, lonely souls that also had to deal with this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal guess is that if you can manage to do all the things you do now, a phone call is within the realm of possibility. ;)

    It totally sucks that your hormones are fucking with you.

    Ashes, they shouldn't even exist and I'm sorry they do. It's not fair damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris and I were nervous of carrying Ella's ashes. We held the tube in which she had been poured everso gently and delicately. We knew we couldn't keep hold of her, she was a free spirt and as such we let her go on two rivers on two very different continents..... To this day a part of our hearts travelled with her, it makes it easier to imagine us with her like that. Stay srong Amelia and I love that G goes a bit bonkers about a shopping cart! XxX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how it's possible that life is both so awful and so ordinary all at once. I don't know how you deal with a temper tantrum in the grocery store and then pick up your baby's ashes. I don't know how anyone does these things. But I do know that we do them and we get through them and somehow you will endure even the things you could have never imagined surviving.

    I hope you call that number soon. And I hope you find some hope again. I think you will, because you're still funny, and if you can find humor in the darkest of moments, you can find your way back. Sending lots of love and light your way.

    ReplyDelete