Friday, December 9, 2011
My Son, My Sun.
They get us registered and set up in a room. It’s decent, much older than the hospital in our area, and no showers in the bathrooms, just some communal ones in the hall, which creeped me the eff out. I finally get pills at maybe 8:30.
We tried this route with Little T, I took pills at regularly increasing doses for 24 hours with no effect, finally deciding on a D&C as it was Dec. 23rd and I needed to go home. In all honesty, that was the best route for that situation anyway. He was measuring 12 weeks, but we had last seen him alive at 13, and I was then 15 weeks along so we didn’t know how long he had passed, and in what shape he would be in when born.
I brought this up and the nurse said firmly; It will work this time. Ok. Apparently the dosages were much different, because I did feel the effects quickly. By 4am I was in full labor and by 5 I was yelling for drugs.
Turns out no matter the size of the baby, I am not a natural childbirth kind of girl. Also, I hyperventilated a bunch, which is considered counterproductive. Oops. I lost a bunch of blood before he was born, so there was concern I would need a transfusion, but managed to eek by without one. Poor J, I looked over at him and he’s sitting down, white as a ghost.
And then. A little after 6am on December 6th our beautiful baby boy was born. 12 oz, 9 and ¾ inches. He only lived for a couple minutes, and then he passed. I was really scared to see him, how he would look, how I would feel. I wish I had the words for how beautiful he was. His tapered fingers ending in perfectly formed nails the size of the eye of a needle, his toes, long like his sister’s, blonde eyelashes. His skin was so soft. I am so thankful to be his mom.
I wasn’t sure about the picture thing, but there was a nurse who wasn’t, as far as I know, part of my ‘team’ who came in and offered to do it, and I figured why not. I wish I had gotten her last name because I’d like to call her supervisor and blubber into the phone about what a wonderful job she did. Labor and delivery was super busy, I’m sure she was needed elsewhere, but she took her time and gently bathed him and took wonderful pictures I’ll have forever. Which brings up an interesting conflict I wasn’t prepared for; my mama’s heart wants to shout from the hilltops about how beautiful my son is and show them to anyone within arm’s reach. But my brain is like; Bitch, do not show people pictures of your dead baby. Crazy head. Even if someone loved me enough to have the best of intentions to want to see them, the difference between a full term baby and a 23 week gestation baby that has lived without amniotic fluid is quite large. And those first few seconds of how they reacted could crush me, so I have, and probably will keep them to myself.
We came home Tuesday night, ate, got showers, and lay down to cuddle on the bed when G started barfing. Her first flu. So Wednesday was spend doing laundry, and being thankful I was home with my daughter. As I expected from last time, the first day was fine, the days that follow the first day home are the hard ones.
Physically I seem to be fine. Tired easily, somewhat crampy. Hopeful that I don’t have the complications I did last time. My milk has come in, so that’s fanfuckingtastic. If you or anyone you know is in need of a wet nurse, I’m your girl. Good to have job options in this economy, probably I’d go all Hand that Rocks the Cradle though and steal the kid, so maybe it’s a bad idea. Emotionally, well. It’s amazing all that you can accomplish while sobbing. All of my showers, vacuuming the house, loading the dishwasher, making the beds, grocery shopping, driving the car. I don’t recommend the last two, the grocery store one being particularly embarrassing. If we’re being honest, I’d like to lie in the middle of the floor and cry until I throw up, perhaps for the rest of my life. I haven’t yet, but no guarantees I won’t. It’s lonely in my body without him. I’m just trying to get through each moment. Most of them I’m crying, but some of them I’m not, so I’ll have to accept that for now. J is taking good care of me. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, comments, they mean the world to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

There's nothing wrong with lying on the floor sobbing, if that's what you need and/or want to do. Sometimes giving yourself an acceptable lying on the floor loose time frame makes it easier to get up, but I have no doubt you will get up. There is no right way to grieve, I hope you're not trying to find one. I'm always around for fart jokes and inane distractions. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sending....well, complicated thoughts, that mean well...& just want to comfort you....~Mary
ReplyDeleteAmelia, no one can ever know how you're feeling right now. Those feelings are yours and yours alone. You have a beautiful little girl and a perfect little boy that you were able to meet and spend a few minutes with before he passed away.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the comfort in the world as you try to deal with losing your baby. Did you name him?
If you and J decide to try again sometime in the future, I believe that one doctor knew what she was talking about when she said she thought you could carry another perfect, healthy, child to term. I wish you all the best, honey. If I can help with some "imaginary friend" comfort, don't hesitate to email me. :)
Oh, fuck, Amelia. I want to cry until I puke, too. It is so goddamn unfair and I am so sorry about your beautiful baby boy. I'm glad you keep on keeping on, it's all you can possibly do. Much love to you.
ReplyDeleteOh Amelia. I'm crying for you and your loss. It really is unfair, and I think crying til you barf is a pretty solid idea. I'm happy you have pictures of your son, and I think shouting from the rooftops about how gorgeous he is is a pretty solid idea, too.
ReplyDeleteSending you tons and tons of love.
Oh, Amelia. It just fucking sucks more than words can say. I just want to cry and rage for you and with you. Whatever you need to do to grieve, do it. I am so glad you were able to meet your son. So much love to you.
ReplyDeleteI am so very, very sorry for your loss. :( Sending you so much love. <3
ReplyDeleteMy heart breaks for you so very much. I always wish I had some magical words to say, or a magic wand to wave away the pain, but of course there's no such thing. I'm happy that you have some pictures so you can keep his memory alive outside of your heart as well. So much love to you and yours while you muddle through it all.
ReplyDeleteAmelia, I think you have my email address. I would love to see your beautiful son's pictures, if you choose to share them selectively. There is nothing crazy about it, you carried and birthed a child, a child who is as real as any other in this world.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you are able to take the time to cry and rage and heal, that you have people that can give you and your husband and your child comfort at a time that is not all rainbows.
And the milk coming in thing ... ZOMG >.< I hope it settles as fast as you need to.
Thinking of you over here in my corner of the world. ((((HUGS))))
Nothing I could possibly say would be enough, but please know the feelings that go beyond words are in my heart.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry - I too wish I had magic words to take away your pain. I am so glad that you have the pictures. The nurses took pictures of our son Jake (26 weeks) and I had the same feelings about showing them to anyone.
ReplyDeleteCry, scream do whatever you need/want to do. I wish that no parent had to outlive their child/children. Sending you hugs and peace. Take care.
I'm sending you so many hugs. I know nothing I can say will ease your pain, but please know that I am praying for you and your husband.
ReplyDeleteYou will have beautiful pictures of your perfect baby and if you choose to share those I am sure those who see them will be moved by their beauty.
Oh, I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart just breaks for you and your family. I'm so glad a nurse was there to take pictures for you. I'm always of the thoughts that it's better to have them and not look at them than to not have them and WANT to look at them... once it's over, you don't get to go back and have a do-over for that one simple act.
ReplyDeleteI want to offer you the resources that we, at Band Back Together, have put in place for people who have suffered losses like yours. http://www.bandbacktogether.com/baby-loss-resources/
Sending you love, prayers and continued strength.
jana
I am glad that nurse was able to provide you with those pictures. Many hugs and much love to you right now.
ReplyDeleteWell, one dead baby mother to another (a son, no less), I understand all your conflicted emotions. I want to say I'm sorry and I truly am, but I know that doesn't change the incredible emotion you're feeling right now.
ReplyDeleteI completely, completely understand the interested to sob uncontrollably in the middle of the supermarket aisle and everywhere else for that matter. This shit is HARD and it doesn't ever end. Easier, maybe. But better, never. I understand your value in the photos you have of your son, but the awkwardness and conflict you feel about them as well. Who would want to see photos of a dead baby? I know exactly how that feels.
I had a friend come by a few weeks ago to pick something up and she asked to see photos of my Andrew. When she left, I cried my freaking eyes out because I realized how infrequently that happens. I can tell you that on one hand, I can count how many people who have actually asked to see photos of him. So yeah. A child I carried and loved and birthed and less than a dozen people in my entire world (aside from hospital staff) has ever seen my son. It's humbling and uncomfortable and understandable, too.
It's a big pile of bullshit and life so full of this. I'm sorry and I'm empathic. I hate this heartbreak and all you've had to endure.
I have only love, hugs, and prayers for you, your son and your family.
ReplyDeleteI can only send so much love and light. I wish I could take away your pain, so much. My daughter also died on dec 6, two years ago. I'll never forget your son.
ReplyDeleteMy heart breaks for you and I am crying as I write this. I am so, so sorry for your pain, and I wish there was a way for me to take even a little of it from you.
ReplyDeleteI am so, so aorry for your loss. I have been in a similar situation and I hate that someone else has to feel the pain I felt. Band Back Together has a Baby and Infant Loss page if you want to take a look. There are many womderful women on there who will gladly lend you support. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Band-Back-Together-for-Baby-Loss-Parents/117206521697347
ReplyDeleteSneding you love and light. ((((HUGS))))
Sitting here crying reading your beautiful words to your beautiful son. My words cannot even touch at how sorry I am or how much you must be grieving. I cannot even comprehend it but I am sending so much empathy your way.
ReplyDeleteAmelia, I ache for your loss. Our midwife took photos of Ella as we couldn't bear to and I am forever thankful to her for that.... Words right now are not enough, I am lighting a candle for your angel and sending you love XxX
ReplyDeleteI've been trying to think of something to say all week long, but there aren't any "just right" words. My heart keeps breaking for you. And, damn you, I laughed and sobbed out loud at "Bitch, do not show people pictures of your dead baby". There is some small corner of my brain, apparently unaware of the grieving going on elsewhere, that marvels at how beautiful I'm sure he was in your arms, and how wonderful it was that you got to meet him, how precious your baby son is...
ReplyDeleteI do wish more than anything that you could have brought him home and raised him. I am so certain he was beautiful.
Im just crying. I am sorry I haven't been around. My computer and internet are broke as broke can be. I think about you all the time. My heart is so broken for you. I am so glad you got to see your son alive...even if it was for minutes. I know you love him with all your heart and I am just so incredibly sorry that this had to happen....I hope you feel the warmth of my love for you as you lay on the floor, drive, shop or generally ball your eyes out.
ReplyDeleteAbout a month ago I checked out your blog for the first time. I was in awe of how you were able to share so eloquently such intimate details of your heartache with the world. I have been reading your posts regularly since then and have wanted to comment along the way but wasn't too sure that you would appreciate words from a complete stranger. I've realized though that if my words are real and come from the heart, that they might just provide a small measure of comfort. Strangers can show love to strangers.
ReplyDeleteAmelia, I'm so very sorry that you have experienced such excruciating loss. I'm crying for you and your family. I'm glad that you got to meet and hold your precious son. I hope that with time, some peace and light return to your heart.
I appreciate all words, especially these.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone, very much.