Sunday, January 8, 2012
"So, to avoid this fate, I am being picked up by a spaceship that is hidden in the tail of an approaching comet."
I hate buying cards. I do. I hate reading one card after another and thinking to myself; lie, lie, LIE, lie. It’s just too easy to be dishonest with a store bought card. I’m not that much better at receiving them, rarely do I have the appropriate response in time to cover the “LIE” in my brain. Also? I throw them away. I KNOW. I’m an evil bitch. (I have kept the mother’s day cards J bought from G. And postcards interestingly enough, from my friends’ travels. Weird.) I don’t know what to tell you, I keep the sentiment, even if I don’t agree with what the card says, I do appreciate that someone made the effort, despite how ungrateful and horrible I sound. I can pick out funny cards, no problem there, it’s the emotional ones I have issues with.
We all find different things acceptable or comforting from people while grieving. I appreciate most when people clear eyed and unemotional express their sentiments to me. I don’t have room for your feelings. Especially family, I feel utterly guilty for the shit I’m putting them through, I didn’t lose these babies by myself, they are grand kids, nephews, cousins to others. But I CAN NOT handle their emotions. I CAN NOT comfort them. Don’t give me pity eyes and back rubs, clicking tongues while you ask how I’m doing, making me convince you everything is going to be all right. I don’t want it. But everyone is different, some people want to cry with their friends and family members, they take comfort in the affection, solace in not being alone for that moment. Leave me alone if I’m crying. Ignore it. Punch me in the arm or bring me chocolate. Or better yet booze.
I received a card yesterday from a very sweet girl. She knows J much better than me, he’s been an adopted member of their family since grade school. So I wasn’t surprised to receive the card, but I was floored when I opened it. It was perfect. She couldn’t have written another word to make it mean more if she tried. I had to share;
It is a normal stationary card, an ocean scene, dolphins and fish on the front. Inside it said;
Dear Amelia and J,
A note to let you know,
in heartfelt condolences with words hard to find;
I send my deepest sympathy wishing you STRENGTH for today,
and HOPE for tomorrow,
while feeling ever grateful for having you guys as friends.
Thank you for your friendship towards our family.
May love be your shelter
and beauty of precious memories remain.
In deepest sympathy,
Her name.
Fuck yes.
Now I’m going to have to thank her for it at her nieces’ birthday party next weekend, and I will probably cry, but it’ll be at a park and a shit ton of kids will be running around screaming so hopefully no one will notice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Beautiful card. Sometimes it's hard to remember that we have a life bigger than our grief, and I think it's so beautiful that your friend acknowledged that she is grateful for you. Also, she should totally work for Hallmark.
ReplyDeleteThat is so beautiful. It is so relieving to be "seen" to feel "seen" in a personal way, in my experience.
ReplyDeleteI once read about a woman who, when I can't remember who but somebody really significant in her life died, she took off, went to a cottage somewhere in the middle of nowhere, on an island and just existed for a week. I guess she had the luxury of not having any little people to cater to, as you do and I do, but it seemed like a really healthy way to mourn intensely and in private. Because most people, whether their intentions are truly good or less so, simply don't know what to do. It seems like it becomes the job of the person mourning to make the rest of the folk feel okay, when the opposite is true.
I hope you find your corners to have every feeling without embarrassment or responsibility added to the menu. I hope you remember that the only person you have to be truly and yet only partially okay for is your beautiful daughter, everyone else are mere players in this act. (Of course your husband and you have to figure things out together, I don't mean to put him in one category or the other ...)
I'm so glad you got that card. We all need at least one where people figure it out for just a second. I totally want friends to cry with me and be sad with me but maybe because I don't have a lot of that, so wish for more. I might keep her around. Sending love to you. And hoping for hope for us both.
ReplyDeleteI don't do cards either. *shrugs* That said, I'm glad your friend does do cards, real cards.
ReplyDeleteIf I ever get there, I promise, I'm much better with a punch in the arm and a bottle of vodka and I am not a drunk cry-er either. :) In fact, I can recall crying exactly ONE time in the thousand or so nights I got drunk. It was about my living situation, and my friend was so shocked by me crying, he handed me the spare key to his apartment and told me to move in. :)
Wait, I have to amend that. I just remembered that I was drunk and crying the whole week said friend above passed away. But I started crying while sober, so I didn't remember it before. I have such a need for honesty, I'll come back and freaking say that, which has nothing to do with your card. *smacks self in forehead*
ReplyDeleteCards are bullshit. Except when they're not. I tend to fall back on the funny.
ReplyDeleteGlad someone 'got' you. Hope for more of the same and less of the shit.
What a wonderful gift to be blessed with the right words at the right time. I bet we all wish we could come up with them when we needed them.
ReplyDeleteI throw cards away, too. Except I didn't throw any away from Andrew's life/birth/death/birthday because I hate throwing Andrew things away. Otherwise, cards find their way into the trash almost immediately upon receiving them.
ReplyDeleteThat was a perfectly written card, with that said. Bonus points for the un-mush and saying the right things to let you know she gives a crap but isn't trying to be all crybaby with you. It really is hard enough handling our own emotions. Having someone cry makes it a bit harder as we feel the need to comfort them.
great card!
ReplyDeleteI'm an occasional reader who hopped over from time to time from Anymommy but to be honest ... though I enjoy your writing I wasn't totally up for following your pregnancy and hadn't been by for awhile. Which is how it happened that I assumed all was well when it in fact was anything but.
ReplyDeleteNow I too have been searching for the right words for several days. I am blown away at how beautifully your words express your experiences, even as horrible as what you've been going through is. I think of you often and I too wish you much strength ... something with which I believe you are much blessed.
That is a beautiful card! I totally agree. IC's family is big on cards and I think they're kind of silly. Sure I know that we need to express birthday wishes and stuff, but cards just seem...like lies. The intention and buying the card, that feels genuine, but the actual card itself? Ugh.
ReplyDelete