Sunday, January 22, 2012
"You were right. This narrator might very well kill you. So I humbly suggest that you just forget all this and go live your life."
It was only a day.
It was before all the shit hit the fan, but after I started feeling him kick. In fact it was the most I’d ever felt him move, he wiggled around in there all day, so there must still have been amniotic fluid.
I put G down for her nap, and her very capable and loving Granny came over to watch her while J and I drove to the city to get some much needed shopping done. I was wearing this shirt that I felt so cute in. It was just a normal shirt, but I thought the cut flattered me or something, and it was long enough that it covered my hair tie rigged pants.
I held out for lunch at In N Out. I love eating there. It was really hard, we were very close to the ‘I’m gonna barf if I don’t eat RIGHT NOW’ point when we pulled into the parking lot. I had tea instead of soda so I wouldn’t have the weird sugar crash issues I’d been experiencing. When we finished I felt so satisfied, and it stayed with me until dinner, which was at Olive Garden. I don’t know what my husband was thinking, but my 2 favorite restaurants in one day?!! It was like heaven.
We started at the shoe store, I currently have some issue with shoelaces, they annoy me, I have no clue why, and it was getting way too cold for flip flops, so I wanted some Vans. I tried on various sizes and asked J if a certain pair made my feet look like long skinny boats. Without looking up from his phone he says “What the fuck do you care? You’re not going to see your feet for months here pretty soon.” My jaw joined the nearby mother and teenager’s on the floor as we stared at him. He glanced up, looked straight to my face without pausing at the shoes and without missing a beat says; “I mean they look AWESOME. Let’s buy them.” And goes to the register. This doesn’t sound funny, but it really really was, I laughed my ass off.
Then we went to Babys R Us to get G some diapers. (No she’s not even close to potty trained.) We moseyed, wandered the isles. Stopped at the bedding displays and talked about the ones we liked and why; the animals on this one, the colors of this one. Never mentioning who they would be for, just talking without a care in the world. We each picked out a book to bring home to G. We held hands the whole time, his callused one over mine, my other hand on my belly feeling how busy Little M was being. Only words of happiness were spoken, no money concerns talked about, we’d put some aside for this trip and my shoes were half off. Priced easels for Christmas for G. Stolen kisses aplenty.
We came home to a happy and bathed G, ready for stories and cuddles before bed.
I keep going back to it, picturing us in my head. I felt like I belonged in that Babys R Us, you know, like we were one of Them, the Unconcerned Breeders, my handsome husband and I. I was utterly grateful, never once did I take any of it for granted, that it meant everything would end fantastically, but I was able to be in that moment and feel contented.
It was only a day. Like so many others, this year and last, filled with days just like it.
I use it now, a nice place to go to.
I’m so happy I have it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

love.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have that day.
ReplyDeleteJ is hysterical. :))
What a beautiful day to revisit.
ReplyDeleteCracking up about the shoes! I know that feeling of "belonging" in a store, in the baby section. Fuck. I'm so glad you have such a nice day to reflect on. I haven't spent a lot of the positive moments of my pregnancy with Camille. The whole pregnancy was actually really great which was so different than my pregnancy with Kai. Maybe I should start thinking about the joy. The hard thing for me right now is that even the joy or because of all the joy. It makes me sad. All that joy cut short. I'm glad you had that day. Do you still wear the shoes?
ReplyDeleteI like to think about that... my pregnancy as a collection of days I can go back to and revisit, without them having to be darkened by the sadness that followed.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful recollection, Amelia. It leaves me in a puddle on the floor. A good puddle.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing such a precious pearl. It is a good reminder that memories are there for a reason. And fortunately more than one reason.
Thank you.