Friday, January 6, 2012
"You can't ruin a friendship with sex ... that's like ruining ice cream with chocolate sprinkles."
I started blogging on mys.pace, for my friends from back home and my coworkers. They found me amusing, I liked doing it. Then I discovered the “top blogs” portion and I was hooked. This was in the land of before, when actual people wrote blogs there and they weren’t advertisements by stars. I lurked. I thought I wasn’t supposed to be there, reading some strangers’ words. I felt all voyeuristic and stuff. I followed my favorite commenters back to their blogs, and I eventually started commenting too. It was a new world. Then I moved ‘back home’ and my.space went to hell in a hand basket. I followed a mys.pace blogger’s link to her blog Outside of there. What?! Blogs exist elsewhere?!! Same thing happened as last time, and I moved my blog off of the Spazz into this new world. I lost all my friends and coworkers in the process, because I was the last to leave there, still hoping to read the words of others. But a few of my Pretend Friends found me again.
I talk about you people as though I have just come back from coffee with you. “I was talking to so and so today about this and that and…” My husband, before we married was like; “Who the fuck were you talking too?!” All confused. We live in the middle of nowhere. So I explained. These people. From blogs. That I read. “So…you’ve never met them?!” “Not in real life, no.”
And thus you were given your name. Pretend Friends. Not because you are pretending to be my friend, and wouldn’t be nice to me in real life. (Although, it is a very real concern of my husband that you want to steal our identity. Or like rob our house or something. ;)) Because the world is a less nicer place in his brain then mine.) But because he thinks you are all figments of my imagination, or even more likely yours. You can put whatever face to whatever name here. It’s all up to you. Who you wish to be.
I of course keep in mind that I only know a very small portion of that which is You. But I have made friends here. I am more honest with you than most other people in my life excluding my husband. Not that I’m dishonest, I’m just not as forthcoming. Face to face is hard for me. Computer feelings are my specialty. I will analyze, rant, rage, and reveal till the cows come home. And because of that I have made connections that I feel deeply. 1 friend in particular knows more about my day to day life than most people I see regularly. I love her. In a non lesbian way, of course. Unless…. *eyebrow waggle*
So please don’t be offended by your name. Pretend Friend. It was given with love; I like the idea of knowing your deepest parts of you. The ones you only reveal here. I hope you only find safety and belonging. Others who accept you. As you have done for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

*waggles eyebrows* Well, it *has* been awhile ...
ReplyDeleteSurely the Snuffleupagus trunk sounds appealing. Too bad it's more like my ass is the size of Snuffy's, and it might just be as hairy. :D
Also, I really wish I had an identity I wouldn't pay someone to steal, not that it would do the person any good... "Oh, I can't get this pre-approved card? Hmm, how about cable? A $500 deposit? Sheesh, no wonder the bitch was so lax about security."
Awesome. Don't worry, we think of you just the same and have to deal with outsider eye-rollings when discussing "so and so"... you know, from the web.
ReplyDeleteIt's a little creepy and awkward at first, until you have a dead baby and no one else to cling to that understands. I'm already the weirdo with a stillbirth. No harm in having friends from the internet anymore in my mind. :)
Pretend friends it is. No harm, no foul.
I can hardly maintain my own identity, much less figure out how to steal someone else's. But there's GOT to be a blog about that, right?
ReplyDeleteI still miss the community of Myspace that we had, in that golden era, that lasted about 18 months. But now admitted I once blogged on Myspace feels like a dirty secret. Such a shame for such beautiful connections!
ReplyDeleteAdmitting I once blogged on Myspace.
ReplyDeleteSorry. Friday glass of wine.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm ok with Pretend Friend.
ReplyDeleteAt least you don't call me The Schizophrenic Girl who was once mistaken for a homeless person...
~Mary
I like it. I also remember the days of discovery, when I too felt like a voyeur of some woman blogging about 9/11.
ReplyDeleteBut somehow I missed the gory of my space. *shrug*.
I like the idea of being somewhat fictional. And more real, all at the same time.
Ha - me too! I was also a MySpace blogger. Mandy up there was a big influence - she was one of the first bloggers I read. And when I wanted a new home to blog after ditching MySpace and a writing hiatus, I went where Mandy went.
ReplyDeleteI have lots of pretend friends. And actually quite a few pretend friends that became real life friends in my travels. Good post!