Bra shopping. My least favorite thing to shop for I think. I haven't particularly liked my breasts since my mid 20s, so standing in front of a 3 way mirror looking at them ensconced in various coverings is not fun for me. I've been wearing the 34 D bras I bought at target when I was part way through my pregnancy with G. They are way too big. But all the nursing bras I own are bigger, so yeah. The bras I used before that were done by the time I bought my current ones so I've just been sucking it up. But I had a little money, the white one is tearing down the front middle portion, and probably it's time my breasts get reined in as opposed to the free floating within the shells of these bras that they've been doing.
I can hear the advice; just go without! And let me tell you that is not happening. I wear a sports bra to bed, and 2 to exercise. When your breasts go from A to F and then shrink back down again? It does not do attractive things to them. The 2 places I got stretch marks from pregnancy; directly over my belly button and my breasts. All over, top, bottom, sides, stretch marks galore. I don't regret a one of them of course, they were all well worth it, but it doesn't make for a pleasant going braless experience.
Just picking out the bras was making me angry. Do you know how hard it is to find goddamn bras in an A or B that don't have entire bedsets stuffed into them?! What the fuck. I have no problem with anyone else jacking their boobs up to their chin, I however am just not into it. I do not want bras claiming to increase my bust by 2 cup sizes! I'm FINE with my breasts the size they are, really I am. Would I get a boob job if offered? Yes. Lift these babies up. But I do not want bras with so much padding in them they could possibly stop a bullet for me. For girls with smaller chests, apparently this is a rare request because it was a bitch finding unpadded bras. I do want lining, lets not get inappropriate in the winter, but just a bit is fine, jerks.
Turns out, I'm a 34 B, considering I absolutely thought I was a 34 A, I'm giving myself a boob high five. If they were any bigger I'd be screwed because 34 C kinda doesn't exist. The 34 D's I'd been wearing were a pretty rare find. Because I don't want a push up bra, and they are what is considered smaller, I was relegated to the teen section. You guys. My bras have bows on them. I'm guessing I should be happy they had colors besides the neon green with purple polka dots, but I can't tell you the last time I had a damn bow on my bra. I might have to remove them.
I did finally find appropriate sized non padded non $30 bras. ($30 for a size B bra?! Are you kidding me?! I am not paying that much.) I even got one of those convertible bras that you can make into a halter so I can wear all the pretty dresses J bought me on our cruises. So I consider the day a success. A very long exhausting day of perpetually whispered threats to my child, (we had to grocery shop as well, so we got home pretty late.) but hopefully one that doesn't have to be repeated for quite awhile.
A friendly warning, the first person to ask me if I've lost weight, forcing me to respond, no I just finally bought bras that fit, is getting junk punched. If not in real life then in the very least repeatedly in my brain.

My boobs and my dignity--both collateral damage to pregnancy. Congrats on a successful shopping trip, though. I hate how expensive bras are, even though I know they are a "good investment."
ReplyDeleteLike I said, they weren't exactly impressive so it wasn't much of a loss, but yeah, pregnancy did a number.
DeleteI just can't spend a bunch of money on them. I totally get it for women who have the issues that come with having a larger chest, but for me? No, thank you.
Oh my god, bra shopping is the absolute worst. Seriously. I really have to go but I just don't want to. I keep saying to myself, Don't get a new bra because if you get pregnant it won't fit and maybe your post second pregnant boobs will be a different size than your current boobs but then when I don't have a bra I curse the fact that I'm not pregnant and probably never will be. It's a vicious cycle. I'm proud you went and got what you needed. Good for you.
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly the loop I've been stuck in. I'm taking charge this year and saying fuck it, I'm doing it anyway.
DeleteMine has remarked, "Whoa! Your nibbles are, like, black!" and, "Why your nibbles so, so big?"
ReplyDeleteBECAUSE I HAVE GIANT DARK NIPPLES, EVERYONE IN THE STORE. THANK YOU.
That's cause I'm Portugese, not pregnant.
ReplyDeleteI am totally not laughing hysterically.
Delete*wipes eyes*
Fucking kids.
This is your sister. :-) Bra shopping is such a traumatizing experience! I seriously start to tear up/hyperventilate/twitch just at the thought of it. Remember when we had to go bra shopping to find bras that we could wear with the bridesmaids dresses for M's wedding? Thank you for bringing the ice cream. It helped tons. I think I ate most of the first carton after the first store. And EFF that stupid padding! I have nothing to push up so I just end up feeling like I'm wear a Madonna cone bra or something. Oi. Congrats on your successful shopping trip though! :-D
ReplyDeleteI read this while lying in bed last night with my husband sleeping next to me. I was laughing hysterically.
ReplyDeleteI stick to sports bras all the time now. What on earth am I going to do when I stop breastfeeding and my B cups turn inverted? I don't think they sell bras for chicks like me.
And I agree. It's hell finding bras for us. I recommend PINK from VS. Of course the rest of their store is classier and more expensive, but PINK is the only line that has non padded but lined bras that seem to work for me. Though, you're done buying bras until you're 40, so maybe then.
The bows. So insulting.
Okay. I have not laughed in six days. But this? This made me laugh. Miscarriage or not, children yelling things about nipples in stores is funny to my third-grade-level brain. You know that moment in the Sex and the City movie when Carrie finally laughs because Charlotte poops her pants? You just gave me that pooping-pants moment. Thank you.
ReplyDelete