Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Hey, no, we'll just set course for Planet of the Lonely, Rich, and Appropriately Hygienic Man."

My favorite argument ever had between my husband and I took place before we were married and about my wedding dress. “I’m willing to spend $1000 on a wedding dress.” “A THOU..are you out of your mind?!! We could buy a car for that price!!” “A car? A piece of shit car that doesn’t run maybe, what the hell are you thinking?” “This is a dress I’m wearing for A DAY. ONE. I’m willing to spend $200 and not a penny more.” “Babe. Are you going to throw the dress away after the wedding?” “No! Of course not.” “So you’ll keep it, preserve it, make sure it stays nice?” “Sure.” “So that maybe someday, our daughter will want to wear it for her wedding? Or maybe….our cross dressing son?” And then I cried. Because that is exactly what I needed to hear. I ended up spending less than $200 on the dress, it was a bridesmaid dress, I just got it in white. But then I got a bunch of shit done to it so it probably cost around $400 total. It was a beautiful dress. Plain, simple, elegant, in my opinion, just what I wanted. They kept bringing me cupcake dresses to try on, I hated shopping for it. We got married on a cruise. The thought of 200 people staring at me while I pledged my life to another made me want to vomit. I don’t like groups of people looking at me. If we eloped, there would probably still have been at least 100 people who could have made it. And who would have been livid if we didn’t tell them we were going. So, we made it as hard as we could to come. Sneaky, underhanded, maybe. But a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. I wish my sisters could have been there, but otherwise it was perfect. It was between J and I, which is what I wanted. Maybe 12 people total came, we had a very quick ceremony with the captain, then had a bar rented for a few hours, free booze the entire time, which we took very much advantage of. The reception for the 200 people took place 3 weeks later, in the town hall, and unbeknownst to me, I was knocked up already, or at least became knocked up sometime that week. Thank goodness I didn’t know because I needed that booze. *whew* That’s a lot of people concentrating on us. Three years ago today, I was on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, with warm sunshine and happiness, saying “I do.” 3 years seems like nothing, a drop in the bucket, but it’s been eventful. And he’s been wonderful. I love you my sweet. Happy anniversary! (Look who posted a picture! Woot woot!)

8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!!

    I thought that was a pic you found online! It's perfect. Wait, that sounds bad, doesn't it? You know what I mean.

    Speaking of sounding bad, the cross dressing son line? That just makes me adore your husband. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture. Glad you had the day YOU wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot-I forgot that I was going to email you and tell you how to post pics. But look--you totally got it! Happy Anniversary. Your cruise/wedding pictures look a lot nicer than mine. :-) But we intentionally made ours hard to get to as well. We still ended up with 100. Seriously??

    Enjoy your special day with your special man. (Any man who tries to talk a woman into spending MORE money on a dress is special to me. Good special, not bad special.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! I always love your stories, and this one is no exception. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. "cross-dressing son"? No wonder why you married the man- I'm besotted after that one line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had about 40 people to my wedding and wore a dress that cost me about $350. It's nice to know that someone else has more sensible ideas of what a wedding should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anni! You look amazeballs in that dress. I got married on and Alaskan cruise and had 20 people. It ruled, but I am mad jealous of those waters behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got married in a bar. WHAT!??! It was cheap!!!

    You both look so beautiful in that photo and that dress looks perfect. I think your wedding and ensuing party sound lovely and I love the story with your guy thinking of your dress budget. OMG I totally have just fallen for your guy! It sounds like you chose the best way for you both to celebrate, which has to be the most important part of marriage, making things work.

    ReplyDelete