Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"This may sound like gibberish to you, but I think I'm in a tragedy."

Had our doctor’s appointment yesterday. She was reading through the reports, to make sure we were all on the same page when she came to the part about statistics for future pregnancies. It said that because of our complication free pregnancy with G that ended up with a live baby coming home (shocking concept) odds are still in our favor of being able to do it again. She reads that part out loud with her eyebrows all raised in surprise, and I’m like look sista, don’t point that surprise face this way, you’re preaching to the choir here, it shocked the hell out of me too. I keep expecting to get pulled over by the baby police or something. “I’m sorry ma’am, your uterus didn’t pass SMOG, you are going to need to cease and desist all actives until the problem is remedied.” “Look officer, I take it in for regular tune ups, you would not believe how much time they spend under the hood. They inspect everything extensively and tell me everything is fine, send me on my merry way, so I take it on a long trip and on my way home I end up stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the desert somewhere in Nevada crying my eyes out and out of range of my cell service.” “That’s really none of my concern.” And he’d rip off the ticket and wave in the tow truck. *beepbeepbeep* *sigh* There was a student doctor at the office yesterday for our appointment. They have them often, I wonder if we’re the rural stop on their required rounds. Apparently the primary goal of my long road of attempting to procreate is to cry in front of as many strangers as humanly possible, so it’s nice that they are accommodating me. I was wondering about the pre appointment run down though. Did she sit down with the student, open my file and say; “Ooooh, this is going to suck. It will aid you in the ever important skill of handing the sobbing woman tissues while discussing the couple’s crushed dreams though, so there’s that.” We’ve decided to induce. In light of the complications we had with the placenta last time, accreta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placenta_accreta has been brought up enough times that I’m sufficiently worried. Also, I don’t think I’d ever leave the house as I’m already terrified a stranger or acquaintance will bring up my swelling belly and I’ll have no idea what to say so I’ll wing it and it would not be pretty. We’ll have to go to the “big city” to do it due to our high riskiness, which I would prefer anyway. Hopefully a bigger hospital would be better equipped to handle our situation and I can avoid being told by a nurse taking my blood that I “don’t even look big enough to be having a baby! Congratulations!” and listening to the hours old baby in the room next to me cry throughout the night. Neither of which made me angry, they did the best they could, I’d just like to not ever have them happen again if possible. I look at G, who she is and who she’s becoming, and the strength of my desire to raise another is so tangible I feel I should be able to conjure him out of thin air. But that is not the way of the world. I’m trying really hard not to be bitter, and it doesn’t seem to be working. We have a healthy, loving, stable, wonderful home with plenty of room to grow and play, surrounded by family, and the overwhelming need to add just one more member in order to complete it. As I go through out my day, thoughts of how unfair the world really is push their way into my head. Anger won’t do me any good, there’s no one to be mad at, but it keeps rearing its ugly head anyway. I’m doing all right for now. When the office calls to make the appointment I’ll spend that day crying, and then I’ll be fine until we have that appointment, which I will spend crying. Rinse and repeat for the next appointment, except for afterwards of course. I’m looking into therapy; I’ve got a couple phone calls in to getting information on how to go about it, so hopefully I’ll be capable of taking the next steps instead of giving up and dropping the ball. Your support and kind words have been priceless, you have my eternal gratitude, thank you so much.

10 comments:

  1. I know it's not much, but you have a plan, and I hope there is some tiny measure of relief in that. I'm so sorry that things are unfolding like this, and I'm angry and enraged on your behalf.

    If it means anything (and it shouldn't, but still), given your situation, I would have chosen to induce also.

    Finally, yes to therapy. It's eating up a huge slice of my income pie chart (I don't really have one of those, but you get the idea) and still it's worth every penny. I hope you find someone who works with/for you, and you find some comfort in the days/weeks/months ahead.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me that you can make me laugh out loud in the midst of one of the greatest tragedies in your life. But I totally get that. I have to make comments about being a dead-baby-mama as often as I can where people won't totally stare at me with immense discomfort-- because really? I can't make this up. Who would've thought my uterus hates me and the babies I conceive?

    Thinking of you everyday and often through this. It's dark and bleak and terrible. You deserve so much better and it's not fair. I'm none the wiser, but just know that equally broken mamas like myself really do care about your feelings, even when it appears the rest of the universe is happy and well all while giving birth to babies they barely even tried for and didn't really even want nearly half as bad. I'm so sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to know that I think about you all the time. I meant to email you after your post that didn't accept comments. I have lived through this experience you are having from a totally different perspective. My mother's 4th child had a-renal genesis. He had no kidneys or bladder and so never made amniotic fluid. My mother carried him to term and chose to have a c-section while awake with a nerve block so she could be awake to hold him. His name was Skipper, he lived for 4 hours. He died of respiratory distress. That was 27 years ago, I was 7 years old, I got to hold him. I remember how sad everyone was, I remember being so excited to hold him, and love him even with everyone crying around me. Being 7 around such a profound experience is very different than being a mother who lives through the loss of her child. Now having my daughter die...it is just strange...that my mother and I would both have dead babies for completely unrelated reasons, random and unfathomable and we are both healthy normal woman who had no risk factors...go figure. So I know what it is like to be surviving the death of a child, and have spoken with my mother a lot about living and growing a baby who she found out would die. She said she tried to have a lot of good happy thoughts so her baby wouldn't be stressed out. It is all just so fucked up...but the fact that you have lived through so much tragedy is certainly unfair...even though that sounds cliche' and lame...it is still true. Coping with one dead baby is TOO much, let alone having to cope with the eventuality of another...the baby who was supposed to be your rainbow! I am just so incredibly sorry. I wish I could give you a giant hug. I wish this wasn't happening to you. The decisions we make are the best we can do with our situations. Sending love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A plan, you have a plan. There is that. I imagine I would induce, too, but what the hell do I know. I simply cannot stop crying over here. As everyone is saying, it's not fair. It's so unfair in its wrongness it's bewildering. I think about you and your family and your baby son very often. I wish I could provide some measure of relief. I'll hold a space for you. I'm glad you've taken a step toward therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes accidental breeders angry too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The road is a damn long one when sometimes we just want for it to be short and simple without the curves, twists and dark mountains blocking the way. In my heart I'm clearing it for you and when it hurts too much and you want to rage, know that the love and support of your family, friends and your gorgeous G will pull you clear to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes for you, wishing this wasn't happening. I somehow know you will find within in you more strength and capability to endure than even you know now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some self-protective instincts kick in...not that that is enough...

    Most words are desperately inadequate at present. But we care...
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know there's not a whole lot I, or anyone else, can say that will make you feel better, but I want you to know I'm thinking about you all the same. I'm really sorry you're having so many problems, Amelia. I'm praying to every god, saint, angel and deity I can think of and then some that I pass my class this quarter to stay in school. I've been throwing you in those pleas as well. I really hope you and J are able to conceive and deliver another healthy child. You have G, she's a beautiful little girl, and although I don't know your history, it sounds like you've had more than just one miscarriage. I hope to all that's holy this is the last pregnancy you're not able to carry to term.

    I'm sending love and light your way. There's far more to this world than we know, and if you're able to keep your chin up and your mantra going, hopefully you'll succeed in having another happy, healthy child.

    In the meantime, I hope whatever counselor you seek out will be able to help you deal with yet another excruciating blow to your psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you still, Amelia.

    And therapy. Yes. Therapy. If nobody has told you, you have the right to a good therapist, someone who's views are not at odds with yours.

    I have had both, and I knew within a meeting, though once it took a second meeting to know for certain. Same with the good ones. But it helps with the harder feelings that are not helpful but must be traversed as much as the good ones.

    (((((HUGS))))) I wish I could do more for you but I'm out here thinking about you regardless.

    ReplyDelete