Nurse: So you think there’s some problem with her rec.tum?
Me: I’m not positive what the problem is, she’s complained about both areas recently, but her bottom more often.
Nurse: What did she say?
Me: Well. She said; “I have a butterfly in my booty.”
Nurse: *eyebrow raise* She called it booty?
Me: *FUCK. I’m so fucked. It’s going to get so much worse than this.* Um. Yes?
…………
Dr: Is she constipated?
Me: She wasn’t when this all began, but for some reason she is now.
Dr: And what was the problem with her va.gina?
Me: She said it was bothering her while I carried her on my hip.
Dr: What did she say?
Me: I don’t want to tell you because my husband calls it abnormal names.
Dr: I just need to know what she said.
Me: *FUCK!* She said; “Ow. My junk hurts.”
Dr: *blink* She called it junk? That’s usually used for male….
Me: My husband uses it universally…in reference to all….you know….
Dr: *looks down at the paper* I’m just going to write; ‘indicated vagi.nal discomfort.’
Me: Yeah. Thanks.
In my husband’s defense I call her va.gina a crotch. So I’m sure that conversation wouldn’t have gone much better had she chosen to use that word.
I had every intention of calling it vagina. That’s what it is right? I don’t have a problem saying it! Here’s the deal though, I don’t call mine a vagina. I don’t really call it anything now that I think of it. Vag most often probably. Which if there’s a scale of awful shit for your two year old to call her va.gina I think vag is higher up than junk or crotch in inappropriateness. My friend calls it a cookie. I don’t understand how cookie is acceptable and junk causes me to die of shame at the doctor’s office.
Dear god I hope it’s not some marker for possible sexual abuse.
She is so getting kicked out of kindergarten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hahaha! Oh man. I would have to guess calling it a "cookie" would be more of a sexual abuse marker than "junk". I'm not going to get into my reasoning, lest I gross myself out.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I know my junk and crotch got all butterfly-like and painful from riding a stinking lawn mower, with considerably more junk padding. Perhaps her heavy machinery riding could use a pillow?
The booty butterfly happened before the back hoe work, but that may very well be the junk issue. I guess it'll have to be on hiatus to see if it helps.
DeleteBut I wouldn't want my kid to talk like Wally Cleaver at a church potluck either, so..I'd take junk.
ReplyDeleteI heard a woman call it *my womanplace* & I howled with laughter.
There's gotta be a list out there. People are ingenious.
DeleteCould always be worse... At least it wasn't "poontang" ;)
ReplyDeleteSo. True.
DeleteHa! It's too bad my son and your daughter are on opposite coasts or ... you know, maybe it's just as well. I was driving down the road and for some reason trying to describe to him the early Native Americans' cliff homes that exist in the Southwest and then realized I wasn't sure he knew what a cliff was and asked him if he knew and he said (in that "How dumb does Mom think I am?" tone), "Yes, you fall off them and bust your nuts!" So, right...
ReplyDeleteI could use the back up. Thank god I don't have to worry about extra parts.
DeleteWait, is there only one acceptable term for genitals? I mean, some kid I knew would say "I need to peel an orange" instead of "I need to use the bathroom" (and NEVER "I gotta pee"). Our 2nd grade teacher was so confused.
ReplyDeleteI called my kids stuff their hoohas till they started saying it in public. They know both ... our funny terms and the "proper" ones.
ReplyDeleteHere's the really bad one I got last week: I was checking out my FB page and someone had posted a light switch that had a vagina on it -- the stupid switch thingie pokes through the middle. Now I know that I came up in the world in the 70s, when women were supposed to be looking at -- and showing their daughters -- their junk in their hand-held mirrors, but my mother was NOT that kind of woman, so I didn't exactly become one either. When I got out into the world the art students were all going as their "labia" and shit to costume balls. My roommates were in art-school, so I got to hear all about it but never actually saw one of those costumes. Um ... blecht.
But back to last week. I'm coasting down my page when my nosey, newly 9 year old says, Oh! Gross! I sort of saw the light switch thingie, but didn't register ... it looked sort of like badly formed mountains to me.
I said, do you know what that is, G? She was all ya, gross, that's a vagina!!! >.<
I really have to get the fuck off facebook, eh?! I mean, how does she KNOW!!!
My mom also called it a crotch, so that's what I called it when I was little, which I think is such a gross word. I'm with G and I prefer "junk." Either way, sorry to hear about the discomfort. Not pleasant.
ReplyDelete