Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Bart! With $10,000 we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things....like love!!"

While I was treadmilling last night G and J played with the chalkboard for awhile. I got right into the shower instead of going over and see what they’d drawn after I was done working up a sweat and then we did bedtime routine; shower or bath for G then off to mommy and daddy’s bed for story/Simpson time. Don’t judge us. We have 6 seasons on DVD and I’m sick of kid’s movies. Also she pronounces Marge Marje, calls Bart Bark and says things like; “Homer is so siwwy.” And “Wook at Maggie talking!” and “Wisa is angry. She angry at me mama? No, she angry at Bark.” Could you deny this child The Simpsons? I think not. Anyway, this morning as soon as we got up G went over to the board first thing and started discussing the picture. I walked over and saw this;






You know how you’re out with a kid and you see a great big huge bug (or whatever your phobia is) that you know is absolutely not harmful or dangerous but dear god you want to run away screaming, but you don’t want to get your crazy on the kid next to you because it’s contagious and they’re going to have plenty of other phobias, you don’t need to get them started on this one? So you just stand there, vibrating and doing everything in your power to pretend like nothing is wrong? That’s what I was doing. I didn’t want to run away screaming or anything, I was just vibrating, with emotion you know? I was surprised and confused and curious and sad and I don’t even know what.

So G is telling me about the picture, there’s mommy and daddy, and G and who’s that? She’s points to a stick figure on the left side, opposite the babies, that hadn’t gotten erased very well. We talk about that for a minute and she repeats who is who for everyone except the babies. J comes up behind me and puts his hand on my shoulder. He says; “She told me to draw mommy, daddy, G and the other babies. So I did.” I want to ask her about the other babies. Or him, did they talk about it? But I just can’t so I say something along the lines of; Interesting. And walk away. I’m promising myself right now to ask him about it tonight.

I don’t talk to her about her brothers. I don’t want to hide them from her, or make it a forbidden topic, I hope. But it’s the one thing that I have immediate can’t do anything about it tears over. I am incapable of talking about them without crying. I want her to know that everyone has feelings, mommies and daddies included, but I don’t want her to ever think it’s her job to comfort or cheer me up. She does both, just by existing of course, and a little here and there, is fine, she is going to have to learn sympathy and empathy for others. But I don’t want her to feel like my sadness or happiness has anything to do with her, that she needs to do XXX to make mommy better. I don’t want her to feel like she has to take care of me, or shield me or protect me from world, that’s MY job. So I do my best not to cry too much in front of her. And unfortunately, that means not bringing them up. If she brings them up I will absolutely do my best to talk to her about them, but I will probably be crying.

I wonder what goes on in her little head. I wonder who the other babies were to her last night. It could just be her new princess dollies she’s been playing with, or the babies in the movie we watched. They could have nothing to do with her brothers. But my heart kinda hopes it does.

On a side note that has little to do with this, it seriously sucks ass that the doctors ask me about my pregnancy to kid ratio Every. Single. Appointment. Like, is this necessary? Could we just assume that information stays the same and I’ll be sure to update you if it changes? Or at the very least could you give me a shot of vodka while you ask it? “4 pregnancies, 1 kid, l’chaim.” *swig* For fucks sakes.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, ask him. Chances are, he choked too, and drew what was on his mind, not necessarily hers. She is a wise one though. That must've really sucked. I'm sorry.

    I think Drs. should make a point of reading charts a bit more before entering a room. Maybe you could ask them to just put a sticker on the front, like the Allergy Alert kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, The Simpson's is Ian's favorite show. :)

      Delete
  2. The picture says it all... Maybe that is G's way of asking you to talk to her about her brothers. Children are perceptive, intuitive and wonderful as you know, but I highly doubt you not crying in front of her has fooled her into thinking you are okay. Maybe talking and crying about them with the little person who loves you more than anything in the world would be good for bot of you. Maybe a shot of vodka to help. ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you and I must be #separatedatbirth. Check out my Trifextra entry for verification of this fact;)

    Also, you are raising that girl RIGHT with your choice of viewing material.

    And, I think it's okay for her to see you crying about it. That kind of loss is worthy of tears and sadness and emotion. And I don't think it puts it on her if you're sad. You are clearly a loving and competent parent who wouldn't put your own shit on your kid. But don't you think it's good for them to see we do have shit? That we go through things and talk about them and work through them? Shows them they can too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On The Simpsons: I recently found myself debating the following etiquette question: if your preschool son is singing AC/DC in the shower of the ladies changing room at the public swimming pool, is it better to say something to him, or not? And if you say something, what? Do you tell him that "She had a sight for size, tellin' me no lies, knockin' me out, with those AMERICAN THIGHS!!!!" is inappropriate for this context, or simply suggest that he sing more softly as, regardless of choice of lyrics, it may be not everyone wants to hear singing? If you know, do please advise. In short: no judgment here (um, for the record, I blame my husband, but it is what it is).

    I'm so sorry about the image and honestly have no advice as to which is the better approach. I'd guess somewhere in the middle but I understand that you're not really "in the middle" but rather the deep-hot-pain of it all, and not having myself negotiated that one, well, all I can say is that I wish you strength and to be surrounded by gentleness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't talk without choking up too, but my daughter is so focused on what she wants to know (why he died, why he can't come back, why we don't have another baby) that she doesn't get worried that I'm sad. She did the first couple of times but now it is just the same conversation over and over again as she tries to figure out what death means. And man, the universe really sucks ass when you have to teach that to a 3 year old. I was told she needed to ask lots of questions to process what happened and we really hyped up the expected baby in an effort to avoid jealousy (stupid, right?) so she was pretty crushed when the baby never came home. I think she really needed the talks we had. Maybe your daughter is using her picture the same way. Just trying to wrap her mind around what happened that the babies never came home. I wish I could say that part gets easier, it doesn't really. But it does help me that she still thinks about her brother and misses him too.

    As far as the doctors go - I fell apart one day after being grilled by a nurse on why I hadn't had a period in 5 months, and demanded they educate everyone in the damn office. My chart had giant notes on the front, highlighted and circled to NOT ASK ME THAT DAMN QUESTION. I had an awesome doctor.

    I'm sorry you got blindsided with the picture. I'm hoping for some peace and healing for you guys. This better be a better year for you, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof. That was bewildering for *me*. You must be reeling.

    I can't get over how wonderful your family is. I love hearing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture, but I know it's so hard. I don't know what it's like to have to discuss that with a child, but I have friends who have had to explain Andrew to their children and they tell me how hard that really is.

    I'm sorry. It's really freaking hard to be us. In the same sense, I want Benjamin and future children to know that they had a Brother, Andrew. I want them to know he existed and will always be loved. How on earth do you deal with discussing that with a child?

    ReplyDelete