Thursday, February 23, 2012

"When will I learn? The answers to life’s problems aren’t at the bottom of a bottle, they’re on TV!"

My husband plays this game in the car called ‘who sings this’. We have very similar tastes in music, but the radio doesn’t really play metal, so he listens to classic rock when it’s his choice. I generally have no clue who it is, and really couldn’t give less of a shit so I just say George Throughgood and am right around every 1 out of 15 times. G has recently started asking what music is this? It took me a couple of times to realize she meant the name of who was singing. The other day I wasn’t sure so I told her I thought it was Bruno Mars. She argued with me! “This NOT Bruno Mars mama, what music is this?” I was like whatever kid, I have no idea. 2 songs later Bruno Mars did come on and she says; “THIS Bruno Mars mama.” And she was absolutely right, not to mention, when I heard his voice I knew the other song was not him.

It’s them against me it would seem.

A very good friend of mine told me she was worried about how sad I get as G grows up. She is very right, while I know it is normal to feel some sadness to go with the joys of your child growing and changing, mine is out of proportion. My theory is that I “should” be going through all these milestones with other little ones, so when she takes new steps, it reminds me of how scared I am I may never get to re-experience the time we just left. I am supportive and excited and all the things a mom should be as her sweet child learns who she is, but elsewhere I’m sad and panic-y. Seeing as G turns 2 ½ today, I thought I’d share a little of what it is like to be in her life at this point in time. In an effort to keep the wolves at bay. You gotta SMILE
right?

Favorite food: AHAHAHAHAHA!!! *sigh* Next G post is going to be the history of her guts.

Favorite thing to eat: Playdough. No joke. If I could figure out how to get all needed nutrients and vitamins in a goop like substance that tasted like playdough? All my worries would end.

Favorite animal: Changes weekly. Right now? Giraffes and flamingos. Both of which she saw at the zoo and was very disappointed to find we could not bring them home with us.

Favorite book: All of them. That girl LOVES to read and be read to.

Favorite movie: I think it’s still Mary Poppins.

Favorite tv show: Tie between Mickey Mouse Club and The Simpsons.

Milestones:

Uses potty when she wants chocolate chips. Otherwise, eff the potty in her opinion. Sometimes she sits down for a second, jumps up and says; “Mom, there’s no potty in there!” pointing to her stomach. So she gets it, she’s just stubborn. I’m not pushy, the no diaper thing would be awesome, but being potty trained brings on its own issues; i.e. PUBLIC RESTROOMS and panic-y tearful accidents in stores.

Counts to 11 when she thinks I’m not looking.

Sings the ABCs but not on demand, so I’m not sure if she’s got it down.

Remembers signs when around those who use it; please, thank you, more, milk, mom, dad, granny, grandpa, baby, I love you, drink, food, cracker.

Speaks pretty clearly, but I’m around her all the time so I’m probably biased. She does have the L into W problem, but it is SO CUTE. “Mommy, weave my awone.” I die with adorableness. I think she said her longest sentence ever today, I’m writing it phonetically, which looks lame and annoying, but it sounded massively cute I promise. “Mommy, the wittle kowawa bear is asweep high up in the twee!”

Bite-side down= upside down

Bite-side up=right side up

Bowana=banana

We are at the Jeopardy portion of childhood. Everything must be repeated in the form of a question.
“G put on your shoes please.”
“Put on my shoes?!”
“Yes, so we can out and play.”
“Go out and play?!”
“If you want we can play with your dogs.”
“Play with my dogs?!” It’s exhausting at times.

Can put on shoes and pants, shirts if I help with the over the head part. Has problems taking off her sweatshirt, which is super funny because she gets all caught up in it like a straight jacket almost and starts yelling.

Knows the names to all the princesses. Ariel is her favorite, but will only watch Tangled and The Princess and the Frog. Which I’m grateful for. I don’t know if you knew this, but Snow White is dumb as a box of rocks, and Ariel is a whiney teenager dangerously rebelling against her parent only to have her happy ending which is not a very good lesson in my opinion. In real life that ending would be on Intervention, not Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Rapunzel is also rebelling, but her ‘mom’ is an evil witch who has her trapped in a tower so it’s more about standing up for yourself.

She assigns rolls based on size; small, medium, large equals baby, mama, daddy. No matter what it is, rocks, animals, leaves. Everything has the potential to be any of the 3, it all just depends on what it’s surrounded by.

She’s recently been learning about the many hats we all wear. She is amazed that I am her mama, daddy’s wife, Grandma’s daughter and that my name is Amelia, not mom. We talk about it all the time, daddy is J, he’s mama’s husband, he’s Granny’s son, and Granny is Papa’s wife and daddy’s mom. I love to see when it clicks in her brain, when she’s able to grasp the steps to fit all that knowledge in there.

She tries to tickle her own armpits.

She has decided the lame ass dogs are hers. And only hers. “Those are my dogs mama, not granny’s. “ “What are my dogs barking at right now?!”
She’s spoiled, I’m hoping not rotten, but we shall see. She has her pleases and thank yous down, I hope she’s grateful for what she has as opposed to expecting.

I absolutely rock her to sleep still and I don’t regret that one little bit.

She LOVES helping daddy and papa move dirt, on the back hoe, not the dozer, the dozer is “too woud”.

She runs everywhere she goes, with wild abandon, limbs flailing all directions to the point that I don’t understand how she remains upright, generally looking behind herself and laughing loudly so I have to yell over her; “Watch where you’re going! Wall! WALL WALL!!!”

Happy 30 months my sweet girl.

7 comments:

  1. Any child who can differentiate songs and artists on the radio damn well knows her ABCs. :)) Don't end up like me. I bought into Ian's "I know nothing useful" act and ended up buying a book called "Teaching Your Child to Read With Literature" (or some variation thereof). I sat down, opened it in the middle, which just happened to be the beginning of a new chapter. The little shit walked over, looked at the book and said, "'Using books to teach narratives'(or some other longish word)? What does that mean?" I closed the book and never picked it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! I do think the abcs is an act, she said H as she picked up the plastic letter. Being obstinate may be genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot also:
    Feud-food
    Peup-poop
    It's funny how she says it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds perfect and amazing! I am so glad you haver her to rock to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zomgs, she's a little badass like her mama. So freaking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is near 5 and he's still doing the Wascally Wabbit thing, though it is waning lately. My sister (an educator) looked it up and said that it is a late development thing, so you might luck out and have a kid who mixes those for a couple of years to come. My daughters didn't do it for long, but wow my son is milking the cuteness for all it is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogger needs a "like" button.

    Very cute. And you get your rock on, Amelia. Hells yeah.

    ReplyDelete