I was bewildered. I’d never heard of such a thing. If something was bothering me in the middle of the night I most certainly did not get up and make hot chocolate. And my parents absolutely did not get up to have a meaningful discussion about what was troubling me, and how best to make it better. Undoubtedly because the word ‘divorce’ would be brought up repeatedly. Also; stop saying mean things to small children. Or at least it should have been.
I thought my life was pretty normal; somewhat sucky. Some people had it worse; and got smacked around, some people had it better; and had pools. I was somewhere in the middle; shouting matches and name calling, but no hitting. And no pool.
But this. This was a whole new world. Could it be possible that families could actually like each other? That spending time together was the goal as opposed to something to be suffered through by all involved? Disgusted looks and hurtful words replaced by forehead kisses and voluntary hugs?
Was I supposed to believe then, that somewhere in the world, people would smile, happily utter the words; 'I’m so glad to be home safe and sound' and mean it?
Something to look into anyway.
This was my response to a prompt from the wonderful Trifecta.

The word this week was;
safe adj \ˈsāf\
1 free from harm or risk : unhurt
2 a: secure from threat of danger, harm, or loss
b: successful at getting to a base in baseball without being put out
3 affording safety or security from danger, risk, or difficulty
4 obsolete of mental or moral faculties : healthy, sound
Third definition as always.
Go visit! Read the other fantastic submissions!

this hurts - I wish you'd had that type of home - or something close to it.
ReplyDeleteIt gives me a good goal of what not to do.
DeleteI agree with PM.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have that kind of home, either, but I'd really like to give my children that kind of safe and sound place.
ReplyDeleteI like the voice in this piece of writing.
ReplyDeleteHey I guess I got lucky. I had the pool and the hitting. Its an odd feeling when you realize that your family is the different one. I remember the feeling very well. The best thing to do we don't continue the cycle! Great writing!
ReplyDeleteMy internal mantra is just that. Kind of like the opposite of what would Jesus do?
DeleteI just chalked that shit up to the "fiction" heading.
ReplyDeleteRight?! I probably should have known better.
DeleteI had almost exactly the same reaction to that story. My Mom and I were always up into the wee hours (she worked second shift and I waited up for her) talking about life, but it was disconnected to everything around us. So when Charles and Meg's late night lives merged directly into their day-lives, I was stunned by the possibility.
ReplyDeleteAnd then I dismissed it in the same way I dismissed 3 meals a day and the Cleaver family. "Yeah, well, it's just a story."
I think that's what I finally decided as well.
DeleteThanks for joining up this week again, Amelia. I love this response to the prompt. It's such a well-constructed piece. I don't often highlight whole paragraphs in my comments, but this one is brilliant:
ReplyDeleteI thought my life was pretty normal; somewhat sucky. Some people had it worse; and got smacked around, some people had it better; and had pools. I was somewhere in the middle; shouting matches and name calling, but no hitting. And no pool.
Really good write. Hope you join us for the weekend challenge.
I am just so grateful that you have taken your sucky childhood and broken the cycle to provide a different life for G. I had a terrible childhood and I agree....Now I know what NOT to do and what I want my kids to experience that I didn't. The child in me sometimes feels envious that I didn't get all the things my kids get but the adult in me feels overwhelmingly proud and blessed that they experience a completely different life. :) I'm proud of you girl!
ReplyDeleteReally love the blog!
ReplyDeleteWhen I had my first kid, and then my second quickly afterward and my first became more than impossible, I realised it was me, and my "parenting by default" that needed to change. I mean, I had become my mother and she had become me (at 2!) and I was not going to do that all over again!!!
ReplyDeleteMy mother was the opposite of the insight shown above: she was convinced that EVERYBODY BUT HER could have chocolate and comfort, and a Cleaver household. She still does, but could never make it happen. The rest of us have left her bitterness in one corner and gotten on with the real business of life.
I love what you've written here. The purity and honesty makes it magic. You made magic.