Thursday, May 31, 2012

“Does this furniture polish have alcohol in it? *glug glug* Hmmm, it tastes like it may kill me.”

I know you’re all waiting with bated breath to find out how our trip was if we decided to go to Tahoe! Kidding, but a girl can pretend right? The first couple of paragraphs are going to sound like I had a total shit time, but I promise it was just the opposite, it was SO awesome!! We had a fantastic time!

So, the hotel. Dis.Gus.Ting. No joke, glad I didn’t bring G if only to save her from whatever plague may have been lurking in that place. Mold in the bathroom, yellow stuff dripping down walls that may very well have never been cleaned, no effin blow-dryers!! What hotel doesn’t have blow-dryers?!! Paper thin walls and no hot water our last day. J also said he saw cockroaches our last day too. Needless to say, every single item of clothing we brought, and the bags, were all washed as soon as we got home. For next time, going to an unknown hotel, I will (obviously) be bringing a blow dryer. Assholes. I will also bring a top sheet. Preferably old, to put on the comforter so we have some place to sit on the bed. I know I know! Just take off the comforter you say! Yeah well, you and everyone else, and I’m sorry to tell you they do not wash the blankets with every room change. Top sheet is coming with me. On the plus side, it will allow me to practice some adjective/descriptive skills when I hack into my BiL’s hotels.com account to leave the review. Just kidding. He’ll give me his password. I’ve been composing it in my head since we first walked in. Wahahahahaha!!!

The weather. It was snowing ya’ll. We got about a 3rd of the way there, and then there was a big blinking sign saying chains required. Lame. We stop by a car place and the chains were super expensive so we ended up going home and getting the 4 wheel drive truck. Now I don’t know if any of you have to regularly ride in the back “seat” of a truck, but I can tell you it’s less than comfortable. The boys say it was all for naught, and the car could have made it through just fine, but I was busy having a panic attack in the back “seat” due to fog and snow surrounding us so I guess we were looking at it through different eyes. We arrived safely and that’s all that matters.

So, our friends were there to celebrate their anniversary, my BiL, husband, me and another couple were there to help them celebrate and to hang out and have a good time. They got a hotel room at a casino, and then got a free upgrade, so they had an awesome suite. Separate bedroom, 2 bathrooms, dining area, kitchen area, it was nice. So we all hung out there for the most part. They gambled a bit, the 5 minutes it wasn’t snowing J and I went through a cheesy craft fair and bought G a turtle necklace for $5. We all just hung out. I lost $1 gambling, J $5, we’re high rollers. We ate at tiny to-go Mexican place that I really liked, had PB&J for breakfast, just moseying around having fun. Plus, I watched CABLE. A LOT of it. I made everyone watch the home and garden channel the whole weekend, and it was awesome. House Hunters, House Hunter International, (HELLS TO THE YES I WANT TO MOVE TO FRANCE!! CAN I COME TOO?!!) Curb Appeal, Backyard Makeover, Love It Or List It, I absorbed them all. I talked smack about some of their taste, and envied others, it was great. I have no clue if anyone else wanted to watch that because I commandeered the remote the whole time. *shrug* No one bitched, so hopefully they didn’t mind. We didn’t even go to the lake, or take pictures or be touristy at all. We walked between our room to theirs briskly due to the freezing ass coldness, and had plans to get in the heated pool that never came to fruition because none of us could comprehend putting on our bathing suits. I ate when I wanted to eat, and sat my ass on the couch not entertaining/reading too/ arguing with/feeding ANYONE. Didn’t matter what time it was because nap time wasn’t in the schedule. OOoooooommmmmmm.

You forget what it’s like traveling and being responsible for only yourself after 2.5 years of doing it with a kid. I LOVE taking G places, I want her to experience new and wonderful things, *coughDisneylandcough* but it’s a lot of work! Food, games, books, clothes, bed, bath stuff, it all adds up! All that space taken up, the hauling of said items back and forth, it’s exhausting! WELL worth it, but exhausting. So I’m so glad we went, and I’m fine it wasn’t a romantic getaway, we’ll get that someday. It was so nice just to be us, hanging out with our friends, and of course G had a fabulous time. She slept with her Granny and Papa, in their bed, and only woke up to jump on the bed at 2 am once! Hahahaha!! More power to them, I’m NOT a co-sleeper!

It was So. Good. to be home. I’m glad we went, and I was even happier when we came back.
(I don’t know if you can tell by my recent titles, but my husband got American Dad on dvd for his birthday, and damn it if it isn’t hilarious. Don’t tell him though.)

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip. I like to get away every once in a while with my man, to "just be us" as you said. It can be really, really nice.

    I meant to ask when I heard you were going to Tahoe if you live not far. I'm in the Bay Area, maybe we can hand out some time...

    Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really nice, it's been far too long.
    We live about 3 hours away from the Bay Area, depending on which part. It would be interesting to meet a blog friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you check under the bed/mattresses for dead hookers? Yes, of course I make someone else do that for me in scary ass hotels. I've also been known to insist upon sleeping with the lights on in scary rooms. Issues, I haz them.

    I bet everyone else just kinda whispered ("no cable") when you took over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goddamnit, I kept thinking don't look under the bed don't look under the bed you KNOW they don't vacuume, and now I wish I had looked under the bed!!!

      Delete
  4. What a crazy story! I would totally be watching HGTV with you.

    I love B to shattered pieces but it makes me wonder about vacationing as things just got a whole lot more expensive. And full of stuff. I pride myself on living off a suitcase and carry on for 6 whole months in Europe. Not sure that can happen much longer.

    That crazy lady of yours jumping on the bed. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are people fully capable of traveling minimally and just buying what you need for the baby as it comes up. I am NOT one of them. It's a whole new way if vacation, and very expensive. :))

      Delete
  5. if I could swing it, I'd take my kids to Disneyland so fast we'd barely have time to pack!

    (have you ever used a black light in a sketchy motel room? i thought it would be good to have more information. sometimes it's possible to know too much.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE disneyland and want to go as much as possible, this whole being poor thing is for the birds.

      Delete
  6. So glad you decided to take the trip AND that you enjoyed yourself, disgusting hotel rooms aside. I love some HGTV. We could totally have a marathon here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, for future reference to all homes that I may become a guest in; if you have HGTV you won't see or hear from me the whole time!

      Delete
  7. sounds disgusting and like a really relaxing time. I am glad you enjoyed your cockroach hotel :)...I don't even know what it would be like to travel or be on my own schedule after 3+ years of being a mother. It is so nice to see G again though isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bizarre how calm and easy it was.

      Delete
    2. And yes, coming home? The best part. :)

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you went and soaked up the absence of responsibility. That shit can get heavy, yo.
    I am holding on for dear life until my next 'day off' this summer.
    American Dad is pretty fucking funny. I mean Stan referred to Francine's vag as a bat cave. Killed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can, I couldn't do it all the time, but once in awhile I think it's good for me.

      It is so effin funny, I like it better than Family Guy!

      Delete
  9. I have a tip for you (and anyone) who might be heading for another sketchy hotel one day. Back in the dark ages, I traveled to Indonesia on exchange. The best advice I received was to sew a queen sheet into a "sleeping bag" ... of course there sometimes it was warm enough that I only slept under that sheet, but it can work anywhere -- rather than trust that the hotel will have soft enough sheets, two queen sheets would make a grotty double bed more bearable ... and one never need touch the icky yucky bedding ... I get that you are only covering the bed to sit upon (I always tear off the bed covers right away!) but this one would also make for a better sleep. And I'm so neurotic that I bring my own pillow for me, and pillow cases for all.

    We once stayed in a place in Australia that was so gross I had to creep into the bathroom to check behind the shower curtain. Cue Hitchcock music ...

    Glad you had such a great time. Cable!!! I'd have been totally hooked in too. We got nothing here. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are awesome ideas! We did bring pillows and I am SO grateful!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful that you had a lovely trip... and always so nice to be home too :) Love always xoxo

    ReplyDelete