I was going to post all the annoying details about how I thought I was knocked up for a day, even though the ovulation predictor kit says I’m not ovulating, but then I remembered how to count. So then I thought I was knocked up the NEXT day, but no, because the day after that I started. But really? It’s like same old shit different month/year/whatever. It’s been done. So I’m annoyed to say the least. And I need to call my doctor, which I’m procrastinating, among other things. But I had a good weekend, got lots of shit done, so I need to concentrate on that.
J is pulling for G to make the transition into her toddler bed. That we’ve had since she was 16 months old. Funny story, we’re shopping for Christmas, and she needed a toy box. At the big baby store they had a great deal for a toddler bed, toy box, bench with storage combo. I liked the bench and box, but I told J G would be in her crib until it was unsafe or she was like; ‘Hey ma, I need to use the can.’ so I didn’t think we should get it. He insisted and for reasons I can’t fathom put all 3 pieces together right when we got home. So we’ve had a princess toddler bed in various locations in our house for 18 months, where she does play with it, but not one of them ever being in her room for her to sleep on.
I do have a large aversion to anything that is a new stage for G, I’m stuck in loop of ‘What if she’s my only one?! She’s growing too fast! Little M and T would be doing X right now!’ which is not good for allowing your child to grow up. But I’m doing my best to keep my mental issues to myself and support her in her advances. Point in my favor; I DID potty train her.
That being said, I don’t think my reticence to change her to a toddler bed stems from that, but more from the 10 MONTHS I DIDN’T SLEEP. We’ve discussed this before, you know what I’m talking about. G has bad guts, I was crazy insane, the end. So I am terrified that toddler bed will equal 3 am wakes ups of an adorable child next to my bed refusing to go back to hers. I’m not a co sleeper; I commend those that can do that, I am not one of them. I’m also not a fun/rational person at 3am. There have been suggestions of putting a gate in her door, or a door knob thing, which are good ideas, but neither of which will keep her IN bed. And if she’s up, being the catlike reflexes mom I am, I will be awake as well. Which sucks ass.
I’m not sure what J’s deal is about this, the toddler bed has the same size mattress, so it’s not like she’s too big for the crib. I really think he just sees the timeframe she will actually use this getting smaller and smaller, and therefore the money spent on it being less and less utilized. Which I am totally fine about. She’s been using the toy box and bench this whole time, I’m content.
It would be nice to think I could sit down and have a discussion with her, detailing the importance of a good night’s sleep for both our health, but I just don’t think we’re at that place yet. I think maybe 2nd grade sounds good. Probably she’ll be easier to reason with then right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

These are the exact reasons why I am terrified to put Isa in a toddler bed. We are hoping to be moving soon and if we do, I plan to take apart her crib (it won't come out of the room without being taken apart) and then put it back together in the new house, instead of taking the opportunity to put it back together as a toddler bed. That is how much I DON'T want to deal with that transition. I say it's because she thrashes around so much, that she wouldn't be safe in a toddler bed, but really I don't want to deal with the sleepless nights and the change. Things work fine as they are, why fix something that isn't broke?
ReplyDeleteExactly, I'd do the same thing.
DeleteThe only "fun" 3am people are on recreational drugs.
ReplyDeleteI had to give those up long ago which explains my 3 am asshole tendencies.
DeleteAs a co-sleeper and regular carry-to-bed-er, I will be of no use. I must agree with FrankandMary, though. Maybe you could combine recreational drugs with toddler bed transfer? Just through the transitional period. ;)
ReplyDeleteMaybe increase the vodka intake?
DeleteWe tried to co sleep and I just lay there looking at the ceiling jumping at her every twitch and sigh. It's not fun.
I seriously slept in a crib until the day before my first day of second grade. I fit and it was cozy.
ReplyDelete*high five* I may need a letter of recommendation for my husband that this didn't warp you mentally.
DeleteMy mom wasn't in her crib as long as I was, but it was sometime after she started kindergarten when she made the big switcheroo. She had to stay in her crib because she was the youngest of seven and there were neither enough beds nor sufficient room for anymore full-sized beds. They tried putting my mom in a double bed with her much older sister, but the sister kept accidentally pushing her out of bed and onto the floor during the night. It was easier just to have my mom sleep in a crib. She's fine as well -- no weird baby role-playing fetishes or anything of that nature, at least to the best of my knowledge. Then again, only God and my parents really know what goes on behind the closed door of their bedroom. For all I know, my mother could be one of those adult babies. I'm not, though, so you could use me as your shining example to show your husband.
DeleteI feel that our children could have been #separatedatbirth. Non eating, crib sleeping, potty resisting, adoraballs little munchers. I'm leaving Bubs in there until his legs start sticking out between the bars.
ReplyDeleteI love it!!
Delete