So. December. We're going on a family trip, the whole compound, and will be gone during Little M's first birthday. I'm scared of that. I'm a jumble right now. Conflicting feelings all over the place. My best friend is home from Australia for a visit after being gone for almost 2 years. J is working around 70 hours this week. Leaving on Sunday, and all that goes with packing up a family for a week. Little M's birthday on the 6th, knowing Little T's birthday will follow on the 23rd. The busyness that is December. Cookie exchange, for which I'll be making 32 dairy free cream puffs. Getting my hair cut. Taking G to her first Nutcracker. Towels for G's friends. They're not hard, they're just floating in my brain on my urgent list. I'm also looking for a 'big girl bed' that will suit our needs. Not exactly easy while living in the boondocks with shitty internet. Do we really want to order furniture we hope to last for years unseen from some random website? Do I have a choice? Oh! And christmas shopping for everyone! We've done very well this year, but there are still a stubborn few....
All these feelings, all swirling around, cohabiting. Making me crazy, making me sane. So much I'm looking forward too, right next to the things that make me want to lay down in bed for a day or two with a jug of vodka. I don't know. I really really hope I keep myself together while we're gone, losing my shit would be....understandable, but not very convenient to say the least. I hope I don't make myself crazy packing because I'm trying not to wallow in my sadness. And that the fallout of that control isn't too high a price to pay when we get back.
I'm sending love to all of us missing our Lost Littles. Holidays are hard. I hope we hear gentle words for our tender mending hearts.
*My quote is from Four Christmases. A movie I think it super funny, and to which I can very much relate. Everyone's all over the damn place. Luckily, I don't try seeing them all in one day. I'd lose my mind.

The Compound Goes on Vacation sounds like it could be a good holiday movie. :)). Did J's parents plan this? Maybe they're trying to make sure you're doing something fun cuz I know they didn't forget his birthday. You don't have to leave before your friend does, do you? I hope not.
ReplyDeleteSpecial days are hard. Deep breaths. Preferably on a regular basis.
It would be an interesting holiday movie filled with booze and swear words.
ReplyDeleteMy MiL did plan this, and there's no way she forgot Little M's birthday. I think we're attempting to not let December be in control of us. She has sorrow tied to it with her mother, and then losing 2 grandkids? It would be very easy for all of us to spend a few days (the entire month) hiding under the covers. So we're doing the exact opposite. :))
I do leave before she does, but I think she'll still be here when I get back. Fingers super crossed.
I know just how you feel about being out of town for Little M's birthday. Something about feeling SUPER vulnerable around family and friends and anyone when you don't know how your emotions will be. And the first birthday? Gah.
ReplyDeleteIs it January yet?