Anyway, while I was growing up she gave The Best Fucking Presents Ever. The one that sticks out most was a silver butterfly model kit that I actually found online HERE. I'm actually debating trying to order it. I was not a mechanically or bug minded kid, but here comes this kit with screws that belong in eyeglasses and directions that last for pages and I swear it sat there for months. I was like HUH? But then I brought it out, worked on it and loved the shit out of it. It was so gorgeous! I actually kept it for years, and only got rid of it when the wing completely broke off in one of my moves as an adult.
During my high school years she sent a box of little plastic and rubber toys. It was like a grab bag or something. The company just throws a bunch of shit in a box and mails it out for you. Weird present for a high schooler? Yes. But for a stoner it provided like a year of fun. First we had to go through it all then we had to find alternate uses for things, and decorate shit, it was insane. But perfect. She also sent music. And this is where this post comes in. This is The Two Songs My Eccentric Aunt Sent Me. It's actually 3 songs because I couldn't choose between the two songs for the second artist. You'll want to listen to them both.
The first song is by US 3 called Cantaloop. I received this late 8th grade or early freshmen year, not sure which. I listened to the tape on repeat and actually liked it. During the end of my freshmen year this song actually became popular and was playing on the radio pretty often. I was absolutely shocked! I thought it was just some tape she'd gotten out of the Weird People's Bin at some store she frequented in the Big City. But here everyone was singing it. And why shouldn't they? It's a good song.
The second band is called Cibo Matto. They are super weird and I have that whole cd still memorized I think. It brings back such memories. I received this junior or senior year, and it earned heavy rotation in my life. Years later I recognized their voices in a movie and discovered they were singing while dressed as asian school girls in the first Blade. Interesting for sure. As I said, I couldn't choose between these two songs. They are both so awesome, my favorite is the second one, and that is the cover of the cd I had.
I'd never seen the video for this before now. It fits.
I loved singing this song out loud. Very satisfying.
My quote is from Big Stan, an amusing, somewhat funny movie that can boast the claim that it is the only movie where if I'm drunk enough I actually find Rob Schneider attractive for 2.5 seconds. Then I come to my senses. Sometimes.

Editor's note: Airstream, not streamline. Thanks Jen!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great record of an Auntie. I think that people who have a variety of people, sane or not, beloved or simply loved (or even tolerated) are the luckiest people in the world. My sisters and I have not one auntie, uncle or cousin, and I truly think we were very much poorer for it. I take my role as extended family very seriously as a result. Again, I love this telling of your aunt and what you appreciate about her. I say get the butterfly kit. Way too cool.
ReplyDelete