I didn't think it would be too big of a deal. Just something special for me, and an experiment at how long my hair could actually get. My sister hasn't trimmed her hair in like 6 years, and hers is long and glorious. It's thick, full, and she can sit on it now. I failed to consider a few key facts though. My hippie sister does not blow dry, straighten, dye or even put her hair up in a pony tail. For reals. I blow dry daily in the winter, it's fucking cold yo, sometimes I sit under the blow dryer after it's dry just to warm up. I only straighten once in awhile, but that's certainly going to cause more damage than never. My hair is ALWAYS up, and I dye it every 2 months. I didn't think of the fact I've been post partum 4 times in the last 3 years, not a happy thing for my hair. I also didn't stop to realize how very long it could possibly take us to conceive.
Needless to say, my hair is not long and glorious. It is not thick and full. It's a mullet. I have 15 hairs in the back of my head that are long, they brush the small of my back and the rest are in various stages of breakage. The part surrounding my face barely reaches my collar bones, it's bad. What started as something special for me has turned into something that feels like a punishment.
The thought of just giving up made me sad. My intentions had been pure, and I like the idea of ceremony and meaning, even if I was the only one who knew about it. But it was affecting how I saw myself, and it needed to be changed. So in October I decided I would just have to change the meaning. I would chop off all my hair in December, between the birthdays of my lost Littles. It would be something for me to look forward to, in a time I so desperately needed it, to acknowledge the change that had taken place in me, and that continues to take place as time goes on, how very different I am. I will of course donate it, but I honestly think it's probably more trouble than it's worth, and they'll just toss it.
I'm hoping I can figure out mobile blogger enough I'll be able to post pictures. I can't upload them to the computer I use because it's not mine and it's totally out of storage. My plan is to have a friend do it so if I cry I don't freak out the poor Great Clips girl. I've got a month, but I'm still really excited. It'll be nice to not hate my hair as much again. (I don't think I've ever been in love with it. Too Jersey for my taste.)
*My quote is from 2012, which we just watched. I have to like that movie because John Cusak is in it and I love him. However, I rarely like thrillers, or you know, edge of your seat movies to begin with, and this one was so predictable it was just sad. It was in the $5 bin though, so it was well worth that.
**Dear spellcheck, it'd be super awesome if you'd figure out partum is a word. Ass.

I'm glad you gave yourself that. I know what you mean about meaning and ceremony.
ReplyDeleteI understand your mentality. I think it's a sweet tribute to your littles.
ReplyDeleteOn the donation front, you can't have dyed the hair, so I'm not sure you'll be able to donate in that way, but I think there is another way. You might have to research it, but they won't be able to use dyed hair on wigs for children... but others maybe.
Wishing you love, friend.
I only dye the top part so my plan was to donate the non dyed section underneath but honestly it looks like such shit I don't know if it's even worth it. Better to donate and see I guess.
DeleteOh I hope you figure out pictures. I want to see.
ReplyDeleteI know it will be a bittersweet thing. Sometimes I find myself attaching too much meaning to things that are connected to Eliza in some way. Sometimes I have to stop and say, "It's just hair." Or whatever it is. But I'm sorry. I know it's really hard.