I wrote this probably 2 months ago, and it’s just been sitting in my drafts. I don’t know what I’ve been waiting for, maybe for it to hurt less. I don’t think that’s going to be any time soon, so I’ve decided to post it. Today is Little M’s 3 month birthday, and it’s a Tuesday, so it matches when we had him. That seems as good a day as any to share this.
My last screen name on myspazz was Undergoing Amelioration. I first heard the word ameliorate on The Simpsons probably 10 years ago. (I promise I do watch other shows in my life.) I was watching it with closed caption on and Lisa had it as a spelling bee word, I noticed the spelling, looked it up, and was in love. When I started this blog, I felt like I wanted the title to represent that I was putting forth effort to constantly improve, rather than have it be something that was happening to me, so I picked Searching for Amelioration. I have no idea if my title makes sense, if I’m using the word appropriately. So far no one’s sent me a message telling me what a dumb ass I am, so I have hope that either someone will kindly tell me I’ve got it all wrong, or that my title is using the word correctly.
A couple of months ago I was told I have a fancy name. I was of course flattered, but it was something I’d never thought much about. I like my name ok, I like that not many people have it. I do not like that not many people pronounce it right. I get uh-mole-ya, uh-mill-ya, and more often than not, Emily. For reals. I say it uh-meal-ya, and find the spanish pronunciation, uh-mail-ya pleasing as well. My middle name is Jasmine, hence the picture in my header. It’s a pretty enough name, it is my favorite flower of all time. I love the way it looks and smells, so I appreciate it I suppose.
I’ve always loved the French language, it’s beautiful for me to hear and read, and I liked speaking it for that year I took it. I heard G’s name years ago, and knew if on the off chance I did procreate, that’s the name I’d use for a girl, it has ties to a book I love as well, a character I admired. When I was pregnant, J hurt his back and was all doped up on pain pills and adorably, but pathetically emoting, when he asked if he could pick her middle name. He had already agreed to the first name, but that was essentially all my doing. I could not help but agree. We needed a short middle name. Like miniscule. If you guys knew the 9 letter Czechoslovakian scrabble MASTERPIECE that is my last name, you would throw rocks at me for saddling her with what I chose for her first. It’s so long that although I call her G on here to give the illusion of some anonymity, I call her that in real life too when I’m writing her name. She is going to HATE us in kindergarten. So we were looking at 3 letter middle names only. There were quite a few in the running when J made his request. He picked one steeped in his family’s history, as that is his way. His aunt on one side, a cousin on another, and most importantly his mom and grandfather all have a tie to this name. So I had to stand by my word, even though it wouldn’t have been my first choice. Her name is the perfect representation of us both, a French name, beloved character in a book, and his family.
The 2 of us are completely different in our name picking style. I was enamored with Svetlana for quite awhile until I noticed the disturbing trend of it being the name of the dead Russian prostitutes in crime dramas. I like different, new, exciting. He likes the same names that have been in his family for years.
We have been able to agree on one boy’s name to date. We have chosen to keep it until the hoped upon day that we get to bring a baby boy home, seeing as it took months to even agree on that one. We have yet to find another girl’s name we both like.
When I was in the hospital taking pills to try and have Little T I asked J if we should name him, through my tears, because that’s what I did then, I just cried. Not sob, not wail, just tears, leaking down my cheeks as I went through life. He suggested a name I particularly liked, but that he did not at all. I think he wanted to do something special for me, maybe to make me feel a little better. He picked the middle name, a name that he, his cousin, and his dad all share. A few days before we had Little M I told J I thought he should choose his name. He had been so giving with me with Little T, and he had felt this one move every morning as we cuddled, I wanted him to have that. He picked a name that covers so many of his family members I don’t know if I’d get the list complete. His brother, his dad, his grandpa, his uncle, his cousin, all of them, honored in that name.
I don’t mention the kids by name in a small effort to keep some things private for J. When I started this blog it was my goal to integrate who I was online with who I was in real life. My work life had always been very fulfilling, and I loved who I was there, I felt respected and valued. At home was a different story. I felt truer to my online sense of humor and voice than I did of who I’d become. So after I broke up with my ex and changed my life all around and moved my blog, I wanted to be more honest in all facets and used my real first name, to be held accountable I guess, and just didn’t use the last. J says I am never to mention him; he doesn’t like people gossiping about him. Which I have completely ignored because he’s too funny not include here. Plus you know, he’s a big part of my life, which is what I write about. He totally knows. It’s all about compromise. ;)
But I do want my babies’ names to be whispered occasionally. With love. And I wanted to share them with you as I have their stories, so just this once, I’ll tell the story of how they got their names.
G.enevieve Su.e. T.hadious Rich.ard. Mar.k Dav.id. My sweet ones.
I hope you ignore the intrusive periods, but they share their names with so many, I don’t want things to pop up in a search. And thank you for reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

All beautiful names. They are all blessed to have you as their momma.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
DeleteLovely names! I've got mine picked out for those future children, too (if they ever show up).
ReplyDeleteI've also struggled with anonymity on my blog, too. I often look back and think, I am so not that person. I'm still struggling with that! I'm not anybody in particular, but you'd swear I was by the way I write...
I was trying to think of some clever quote I heard somewhere about when we use words, but gez, what would that end up being, again!?
Oh, and have you heard of Jizo Bodhisattva? Not trying to get all proselytiz-e, but I sent my step-mother one and it helped (helped bring the one we received, helped guide the ones who we didn't). I'm the proud big brother of 1 and 1/2 year old (29 year difference).
ReplyDeleteAlso, on a very personal side note, my wife and I are 30 and we haven't had children yet. We live on an organic farm/ zen center and it doesn't look like we will anytime soon. So, there is fear there for me. It's not the "right" time but it is the "right" time. What to do?
Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous names for sweet babes. (I love your name, too--and yes, as far as I know, you are using amelioration correctly in your blog title--you can substitute "improvement" but it doesn't sound as fancy).
ReplyDeleteI have loved your blog name since I first read it. I think it's a lovely idea.
ReplyDeleteG's name is one we considered(well, I considered), but we had a boy named Rilo. I don't usually write his name either, but I want to share it with you since you are so open with sharing your kids.
I have goosebumps at this reveal. Gorgeous names. M.D. has the same name as my brother-in-law and his eldest. xoxo
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I knew the names were common enough seperately but didn't realize they were together as well! :)
DeletePoor, poor G. Good thing she's smart. ;). I can totally picture her spelling her name with a look of contempt and sheer and utter "wtf is wrong with your spelling skills?" attitude when asked about it.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, especially when it comes to other people spelling it. It's gonna get old, poor girl. ;))
DeleteBeautiful names for beautiful babies. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your beautiful babies' beautiful names. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYour children have beautiful names.
ReplyDeleteMy first name is pretty much what you'd guess it is if you look at my "handle" and think that I took my real name and tried to turn it into something a little cool/funky. So you pretty much know what it is. And I was a very shy kid but I always insisted that people call me by my full name if they used it (not the shortened version; I did, however, use a nickname that was a character from a children's book through most of elementary school as my main "name") and I enjoyed having a name that was a bit unusual (still do). So that is my way of saying I think perhaps the beautiful but uncommon name G. carries will serve her well.
Oh, and I forgot, but you use "Searching for Amelioration" perfectly and I love it. It is brilliant.
ReplyDeleteIt's such a relief to find out I've been using it correctly! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteMy children are all grown now, but when my first child, a girl, came home from kindergarten crying about the length of her first name ("it's so long, everyone is done writing their name before meeeeeeeeee...) I decided to name my next two children with short-lettered names to spare myself whine-fest.
ReplyDeletekaren
Those are beautiful names, for certain, and I'm with Lisa, chills. It is truly something special to share.
ReplyDeleteA friend of ours named her first child G, and we thought, wow. Big name to live up to. And you know what? It is the perfect name for that girl, perfect. As it turns out, we didn't know shit and she didn't have to live up to anything whatsoever, it just was.
Georgia, Korinne, Adam. My guy wanted to have a hand in naming them, but they still got the names I had in my head from the beginning. Except that I wanted to name my boy Alec, the same name as his dad. Turns out that would have been better as I often switch their two names. Um ... oops.
And I have no idea what Amelioration means, but I have totally swooned over your blog title, I can't lie. It may be the "searching" part. I know what it means to search. And it is much more graceful when compared to mine, but then, mine suits me perfectly. In, you know, a good way.
Anyway, this is a lovely post. I'm feel so lucky I have your writing to read.
Thank you so much, I appreciate this. :)
ReplyDelete