Wednesday, March 21, 2012

“You know those crap-head add-men over there, those kings of bastardization that have just taken everything that was ever real and genuine and honest and original and attached it to a toilet cleaner!”

Sponsored blogging is a hotly debated topic, you don’t have to worry if you’re against it, I’m not going to have sponsored posts. I personally don’t really care one way or another, if you’re a good writer, if you catch my interest, and have something honest to say, why do I give a shit if you get paid or got free stuff out of the deal? But I was reading one the other day and it got me thinking about how awesome it would be to be on that boat so I thought I’d write about shit I really want but would feel guilty about spending money on it, which is where sponsors would come in. Because then it’d be free!! Bear with me; my list of guilty desires.

*Disclaimer, family vacations and lasering my forehead to get rid of the reverse vitaligo are things I most likely will spend money on, and would not feel one bit guilty about. I just wanted them somewhere on the list because it would kick ass if they were free. Also, let’s be honest, it’s not like I have morals or anything, I’d pretty much try anything flung my direction just to see how it is. *

1.Invisilign braces. Oh my lawd. When I was a kid, my mom took me to this new fangled no teeth pulling totally ‘fantastic’ orthodontist. I got jaw wideners at 9, which are as fun as they sound, and braces at 14. My teeth were FUCKED. Some were behind others, some were way up high, it was just a mess. So after NINE years of metal in my mouth, I got my braces off, I got the retainers, and it felt like the top one was moving my teeth out of alignment. I moved out to a different city, and never wore them again. Found out the metal had destroyed my back teeth, my impacted wisdom teeth tried to come in down below, leaving me with crooked teeth once again. It isn’t horrible, not nearly as bad as it was. I’m bummed I was an idiot who didn’t wear her retainer, but in all honesty, after 9 years I was D O N E. My sister went to a different orthodontist, had 4 teeth removed, 2 years of braces, didn’t wear her retainer either, and her teeth still look pretty decent. I’m feeling pretty gyped if we’re being honest. I can never have regular braces again because I’m pretty sure they would all just crumble the minute any pressure was put on them. Enter expensive ass invisilign. Would I pay for it? Unlikely, but I so wish I could have them.


2.Hair stuff. My husband comes home the other day with an earnest look on his face. He says; “I saw this commercial at my parents’ house about hair stuff you should get! It will totally work for you!” I look at him bewildered and he continues; “Your hair gets frizzy in humid conditions right?!” I nod. “It was MADE for that!!” I’m trying to figure out if he is fucking with me, or if he hasn’t been paying attention to the shit ton of different stuff I’ve been trying out over the years. Does he really think that just because the commercial says it will work it will?! Apparently yes, he does think that. So I thanked him for thinking of me and told him I’d stick with what I got.
I use cheap ass shampoo and conditioner. It used to be mildly cheap, instead of cheap ass, but I think pantene stopped making beautiful lengths because I can’t find it anywhere. So I’m using some tresme stuff. I use very expensive (in my book), biosilk on it after I get out of the shower, then after blow drying if I’m doing that that day, I put generic anti frizz goop from a big bottle and pomade on because I’m pretty sure my hair is on helium. It’s BIG. I don’t have a lot of it, it’s super thin, especially right now, but it’s huge and floaty. Think late 80’s early 90’s New Jersey hair. I could do that with just a blow dryer, no hair spray, no mousse, no back combing, I’m just naturally electrified. So I try to weigh it down. I’ve been trying new stuff my entire adult life, and I don’t currently HATE my hair, so I’m sticking with it. But I’d absolutely try and review free stuff for it. OOOOHHHH, especially an expensive straightening iron. Mine is about 7 years old, and was $20 from Rite Aid. I hear there’s better stuff out there.

3.Body hair removal. I’d do anything. Just get it off of me. My body hair is blond, but it gets very long and there’s A LOT of it. I’m a wildebeest. I hate it. I currently shave it because I can’t even stand to grow it out. Also, can’t afford to wax it. I tried doing it myself a couple times and trust me there were tears involved. But I’d be more than willing to hand over the reins to a professional. Especially if it meant I didn’t have to shave every day. I get a 5 o’clock shadow on my legs ya’ll, there’s no skipping days for me.

4.Food. Especially pre made super healthy sent to me food. Look, I’ll bake the shit out of some dessert for you, but dinner? Can suck it. All that work before AND after, for one meal?! Not to mention there are various dueling tastes in my house. It’d be awesome for everyone to have their own meal, spicy non dairy over here, mild and dairy full over there, you get the picture. I would absolutely try it.


5.Green cleaners. I have no idea what to buy, but I’d really like to use them, so it would be awesome to test out a bunch and find what works and what doesn’t.


I think that’s all I got for right now. What about you? What do you want but would feel guilty about spending money on?

38 comments:

  1. Okay. I didn't wear my retainers either. Stupid. I also had jaw wideners, a bite guard, head gear (never worn), and 2 teeth yanked. Fuckers. The day the metal came out, I told my retainer to go fuck itself. Also--my back teeth are ruined because they never took the cement off after the braces came off.

    I'll tell you my secret to green cleaners. You don't really need cleaners at all. We use vinegar for everything--mop water, fabric softener and conditioner. We use baking soda for everything else. Seriously. Cleaning supplies are bullshit.

    PS--I read every post but don't always click off reader to comment. That's because I'm an asshole.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the green cleaners are stuff you probably have at home, with maybe a few drops of essential oils thrown in. I, of course, am allergic to chemical cleaners, so I bought the green stuff. Now I just don't clean. Kidding. Kind of. I have an essential oil
    /water mixture I spray to cover dog piss smells and peroxide for mold, but vinegar and baking soda covers the rest. One word of caution -- if used as a carpet cleaner with a canister vacuum, don't dump it in the tub instead of the garbage. Just trust me.

    What hair stuff is it? Was it an infomercial? Why did he retain enough about it to mention it? That just screams infomercial to me. ;) I just stopped buying the good stuff. I figured it was ridiculous to spend $30 on a tiny bottle of hair shit when I never cut my hair, bleach the shit out of it and dye it purple. But it was so much nicer when I did.

    I'd like professional hair care every six weeks, damn it. And expensive professional care too. I'd pay the $200 for a month's worth of prescription acne cream I used to use and loved. Ooh, and maybe threading or laser hair removal too. When we had wads of cash, I almost did it, but you have to let the shit grow out for six whole weeks!! No fucking way.

    I'd love a nice fast car, clothes that look decent, good shoes. You know, the usual things broke asses want. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, uh, don't dump a whole vacuum canister of baking soda in the tub.

      Delete
    2. Here's the problem with the vinegar solution; it smells like ASS. I used it on our couches and it worked but my bloodhound of a daughter did the gag coughs and told me it SMELLED BAD all day. I can't have my house smelling like that all the time!

      Delete
  3. Hm. Fancy hair stuff (Mine? I have A LOT of it, yet it all lies in a flat, nasty sheet making me look like a drowned rodent), kitchen gadgets, comfortable-yet-stylish shoes, international trips, aaaaaaannnnnd high-end skin care products (dry, flaky acne!). I second the "green cleaners" bit from Seeking Elevation- I started Googling "how to get pee out of _______" and uncovered the secret world of baking soda and vinegar for EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to review zit stuff, cuz I got them, they're lame.

      Delete
  4. Hii! It's your sister. :-) I feel you on the body hair issue. Holy crap, I get freakin' stubble as soon as I step out of the damn shower! What the EFF?! The first time I ever shaved, mom says to me, "Okay now, you won't need to shave again for about 3-4 more days." That night I was like, "Uhh, mom? Are you SURE?" Being 13 at the time, I should've known that was a bad sign. R has told me more than once that I'm basically the hairiest person he's ever known. I'm not like back hair status or anything, but I do have a LOT of hair and the few times I was able to afford getting waxed were REALLY nice but even then I was only smooth for about 4 days after. So my guilty purchase would be laser treatments. Effing laser that shit off and make sure it doesn't come back! Also, expensive (or not, whatev) skin care products that (hopefully) work. I'm almost 30. I should not still be getting pimples like I do. Effing ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.
      I have two full things of Beautiful Lengths Shine Enhance shampoo and conditioner (the same stuff you were using the last time I was up there and yes, Beautiful Lengths has been discontinued), I'll bring them up with me on my next visit for you. I used them while I was up there and my hair was GAWGOUS, came back down here bought some for myself, two days later my hair was a hot greasy mess. Took me a month to get it back to normal. Haven't touched the stuff since.

      Delete
    2. Damn our genetics!! So what shampoo do you use now?

      Delete
    3. I'm using a combo of Pantene Flat to Volume Shampoo and Pantene Classic Conditioner. I seem to have found a happy-medium with those at the moment. My hair isn't completely stripped of everything turning it into a frizzy rats nest nor is it totally weighed down into a pile of nasty greasiness which seemed to be the only two ways it would go for a few months there. Friggin' frustrating I tell ya. You're right, man, damn our genetics! I got lucky with the teeth though. Except for the one I just had pulled last month(?). That was more my fault than genetics though. XD

      Delete
    4. I do NOT need volume so I won't be buying that. Damn.

      Delete
  5. Definitely cosmetic products. I want to try EVERYTHING I see advertised. (I'm like your husband--I really want it to be true.) I wish someone would pay me to test their eye wrinkle cream and their lip balm and their mascara and their primer and everything else. My make up routine is actually pretty simple, but I'd love someone else to fund my product search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh because my hubby, too, seems to believe what the TV tells him; it is quite amazing.

    Stuff I want but can't justify spending on is mostly modest. I love Envirosax shopping bags and want to own more but since I already own a set am unlikely to be given a free set to review (also I don't have a blog, so there's that). I also kind of want a big ball to sit upon at work sometimes instead of a chair because I am convinced that is all that is standing between me and the body of my dreams. OK, not really, but a girl *can* dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!! Damn exercise stuff, I'd totally review that.

      Delete
  7. I've had laser hair removal done. Several times. It's not permanent. Oh, and lesson learned several times over? Don't wax your own face. Go see a pro, unless you want your top lip raw and bleeding with 3/4 of that shit left.

    Dude, I love to cook. I love to try new things, too. I'd totally be your chef. Or Megan's hairstylist. She totally needs to move west. ;)

    If I was ever going to be offered sponsored blogging, I would do it for cookbooks. If I had moneys, I would totally hoard cookbooks and various other diet books about how to eat healthy. No wheat, no sugar, little dairy, and I'm sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaaat?!! Not permanent?!! *mind blown*

      Delete
    2. Dammit. Isn't there ANY way to get rid of this hair?! XD Totally agree with the going to a pro for waxing. Same advice for the bikini area too. *cringe* Lesson. Learned. Only needed once on that one.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I got a Groupon-type deal for underarm laser hair removal. There is less of it, but that shit is still there.

      I am currently doing between my brows (go ahead, laugh at me and my potential unibrow) and my bikini line, and that shit does not work. And you cannot pluck. I hate it. I feel like the ugliest, furriest beast ever.

      I got the first one for 6 sessions for $113. The second was $226 for unlimited.

      Not worth it.

      Delete
    4. *SOB* Do you know how high up on the 'when I win the lotto' list that was?!!

      Delete
  8. I'd love a manicure and pedicure every so many weeks. Oh , and a facial. All of these are so expensive though....so I try and do it myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, the splurge stuff would be good to review.

      Delete
  9. I debated whether or not to put reviews on my blog, but decided to do it, just not on the main page.

    I figured I would do my own reviews on random shit, too, if I am impressed or seriously unimpressed.

    But I make it clear it is a product review and do not try to weave it into my regular post while dropping a ton of product fact. That would just annoy people, I think.

    I might not continue it... time will tell.

    In Canada and the U.S., Bzz Agent is a great way to try free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I never thought of seeking it out.

      Delete
  10. Okay, so I totally want free stuff. I don't even really care what it is. I'm a sucker for free stuff. My husband would totally be pissed about it, 'cause he thinks most of the stuff I buy is useless. Whatevs, dude.
    hair removal: Keep an eye on Groupon for your area. I got a REALLY great deal on laser hair removal. 6 visits for $275. No more bikini waxes for meeeeee! I'm only about 4 sessions in and can tell a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, "why do you need 3 different hoops for your hair?!"
      Because my hair sucks, just accept it.

      Delete
  11. Holy crap! You have a lot of comments on this post.

    If someone is willing to give me EXPENSIVE free crap that I want, I will totally review it. :) Shameless, maybe.

    I had braces and didn't wear the retainer either. And I'd love invisalign.

    I can barely convince myself to wash my hair 2x/week, so I have nothing to say about nice hair as I simply don't care. I have one of those expensive straightening irons and it goes unused about 363 days of the year. The other two are usually weddings. Hah.

    I buy the expensive green cleaning supplies because I like my house not smelling like someone is dying Easter eggs all the freaking time. Though I do believe firmly in using baking soda and vinegar, just not on everything. It stanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. Here's my dark secret: I'd like to have the robes of a fully ordained priest- the good ones from Japan that cost about 2,000 dollars, and a kesa I'll sew myself out of raw and shiny silk...

    I hardly ever tell anyone this!! Thank you for asking..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definetely unexpected. Interesting too.

      Delete
    2. Horrible, I know.

      I've got cheap green cleaners for you:
      1. White vinegar
      2. A jug of concentrated tea tree oil
      3. Cheap brown paper towels on a roll, like the ones we had in high school.
      4.1 can of bon ami for any metal faucets you want to clean.
      5. 2-6 plastic spray bottles from Home depot.

      Everything at Green Gulch (the zen center and farm my wife and I live at) is cleaned with these simple products. We (60ish full time residents) clean EVERYTHING once a day, except Friday, which about 50 people take off.

      We can do this fairly quickly; about 10 minutes. The most important factor is that we have Vinegar and Tea Tree in every little closet in every little room, bathroom, kitchen, shower- you name it. (we dilute both 50/50 with water) That's why I suggested you have 2-6 bottles so you can hide them. And for get mopping, just spray and wipe down with brown paper towels- you can compost them too.

      Bon Ami is extra, but all natural.

      When Lauren and I lived alone, I had already lived in a Zen temple for a year. She's not a big fan of cleaning, so I cleaned the whole house on a one room a day rotation. Took about 20 minutes. Of course, there was a no clutter rule that I could just really clean stuff. I find we waste a lot time fussing with clutter.

      So, hope this is helpful! Stuff really is spic and span here. You couldn't hunt dust with a dust buster hear.

      For vaccuming, i recomend tile or hard wood floors! Throw rugs are nice, you just pick them up and shake them, or even sweep them off. If you don't feel like hands and knees spraying and wiping, get a swifter thing with a terry cloth head (get like 6 of them, in case you need to do the whole house in one day). They're at Home Depot too.

      Can you tell I like to clean!?

      Delete
    3. Wow... this is awesome. You are awesome. I need to start doing this! Now, to track down that jug of tea tree oil in Ontario, Canada...

      Delete
    4. Big bow!

      Thank you,
      Aj.

      Delete
  13. I just paid $8 for like 2 oz of tea tree oil I don't forsee a jug of it in my future.
    Otherwise these are really good ideas, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weird, I wonder how we afford it...we have gallons! We must get a wholesale deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...we pay 239.68 cents for one gallon...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha! Yeah, I'll pass on that one. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, then white vinegar and lavender Myers...

      Delete
    2. I'll look into those, thank you!

      Delete